Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Crawley pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 49412 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 09:18:02 »

I'll by all means engage if you keep to the facts,

You are priceless 
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 09:19:12 »

Crawley 10/3 for the win, got to be worth a flutter.

Wish I'd taken more notice of your advice.

Cheesy Cheesy It was a bright point in a shitty day (Although had a horse come in at 8/1 as well). Never ever underestimate STFC's ability to bugger it up against a team they 'should' beat!

« Last Edit: Monday, January 28, 2019, 09:21:01 by horlock07 » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #302 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 09:19:57 »

Keshi shouldn't be anywhere near pens - guessing he's at least third choice behind Doughty and Richards, but Woolery has bagged before and Danny Rose looks good over a dead ball.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 09:35:40 »

Keshi shouldn't be anywhere near pens - guessing he's at least third choice behind Doughty and Richards, but Woolery has bagged before and Danny Rose looks good over a dead ball.

McCourt could probably absolutely wallop a few to the point where it takes the keeper into the net with the ball, too.
Panda Paws

« Reply #304 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 09:49:00 »

McCourt could probably absolutely wallop a few to the point where it takes the keeper into the net with the ball, too.

Absolutely. Keshi wouldn't even be in my 5 for a shootout.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 09:56:07 »

+2. In awe of "Poundshop Pogba".

Weirdly I said to my dad during the game that Anderson reminded me of a very very poor man's Jessie Lingard.

Anderson has to be our most frustrating player, he always seems to work very hard, he has good pace and is tricky but when it comes to doing anything useful his decision making is woeful. He can't shoot and he gives the ball away a lot. I don't really know where his best position is, maybe used as an impact player off the bench?
« Last Edit: Monday, January 28, 2019, 09:57:49 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 10:09:37 »

Given time to mull over Saturday I'll add my take on Saturday.

After a good lunch we made our way into a sparse County Ground. Unfortunately we got our timing off and had to tolerate the insufferable Rockin Robin dance. Interestingly the people around us were speaking about how much they were looking forward to the game 'New beginnings', 'play off chase' etc. Crawley kicked off and we immediately won the ball. First 20 minutes we harried and pressed hard, forcing a Crawley side, who looked Sunday league at best into numerous errors. After that it just all seemed to go to pot. We continued to give the ball away, the culprits mainly Carroll and McCourt. Caroll just couldn't seem to find a red shirt and kept banging his head in frustration. I did feel a bit for him, it was like the harder he tried the more he did wrong and it was affecting him. He's clearly not a Right Back so I can only assume Knoyle is not fit enough. The other frustrating bit was Michael Doughty's performance. I thought he started brightly and looked up for it, but after about 30 minutes his workrate dropped and it was almost like he gave up. I hadn't realised he was being man marked by a 40 year old so that makes his (lack of) effort even worse!! I said to my dad after half an hour "this game has 1-0 Crawley written all over it"

And so it proved. One good bit of football at the end saw Carroll and Anderson (I think) exchange passes down the wing, Carroll was pushed over and it was a pen. As others have said when Anderson stepped up we all new what was coming. Shot saved and the points were gone.

Final shout out to the Crawley keeper for classic trolling. He literally had nothing to do the whole match and about 10 minutes to go went down with a mystery injury (frostbite, pneumonia?) that required 2 minutes of treatment. Ordinarily that would have fired up the Town End for some 'classic' abuse, but there was none of that, nothing. To me it feels like a lot of people at home matches have given up. Gone are the days of "come on you reds" ringing around the CG when we swing in corners.

3 years of being shit at home. That has to change or we are never going to challenge to get out of this godforsaken league.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 10:20:17 »

I will say this though, was the penalty taker choice the managers decision, Anderson's, or did he get it by default because nobody else stood up. It'll be fixed for next time. I'm sure he's off duty now.

It wasn't the missing that annoyed me, ok it was a bit. Its split between it was the silly jink in the run and the lame shot, and him being in the position to take it in the first place.

But deep down we have to admit that a draw at home v Crawley still wouldn't have been enough.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 10:34:50 »

Looked as if Anderson was given the ball once the pen had been given, so I'm assuming that he was the designated penalty taker.

"Don't fuck it up" was the thought as he strode up to take it.

Surprised that more of Doughty's efforts haven't been saved.
Passing it in always a risk, but most keepers will oblige by diving out of the way before the ball is kicked.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 10:44:00 »

Weirdly I said to my dad during the game that Anderson reminded me of a very very poor man's Jessie Lingard.

Anderson has to be our most frustrating player, he always seems to work very hard, he has good pace and is tricky but when it comes to doing anything useful his decision making is woeful. He can't shoot and he gives the ball away a lot. I don't really know where his best position is, maybe used as an impact player off the bench?

If Keshi had that bit extra, he wouldn't be a Div 4 player.  Most players at this level have some ability, but the reason they end up in Div 4 is that they cannot display it often enough, or that at their peak performance it's as good as it will ever get for them.

So you can see why Keshi ended up in non league, but you can see why Palace thought there might be something more in him, and then accepting there wasn't.

I think we need to accept he probably will never get much better, but with some decent management and appreciation from the fans, despite the frustration mentioned, he could be useful in a better all round squad looking for auto next season.
REDBUCK

« Reply #310 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 11:03:10 »

So tell me what appreciation I should show what ability does he have that fits into a team structure. He's too much of a show pony who dribbles into dead ends.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 11:50:50 »

So tell me what appreciation I should show what ability does he have that fits into a team structure. He's too much of a show pony who dribbles into dead ends.

A side should be able to carry one free spirit... and at our level, they will often make wrong decisions, but you want them to still keep trying in the hope that you'll see something come off, more regularly. Keshi's play under Wellens has been a bit better.... and for us it's about small steps he isn't suddenly going to become wonderful... but he could become a more reliable player.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 11:59:41 »

A side should be able to carry one free spirit... and at our level, they will often make wrong decisions, but you want them to still keep trying in the hope that you'll see something come off, more regularly. Keshi's play under Wellens has been a bit better.... and for us it's about small steps he isn't suddenly going to become wonderful... but he could become a more reliable player.

We seem to have 2, Woolery and Keshi.

Panda Paws

« Reply #313 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:19:55 »

Woolery isn't the same type of player, or a free spirit. He's a head-down racehorse and a decent finisher. Not creative at all. The highlight of the game Saturday was LV's 70 yard kick to Kaiyne who just gassed everyone before putting in a decentish ball.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:25:04 »

In terms of players who might yet have a 'breakthrough' season in them, then yes.
Hoping for much more from both of them next season, if still here.
Plus, some players seem to pull their fingers out when it comes to the final year of a 3 year contract.  Hmmm

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: