Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Crawley pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 50422 times)
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 18:39:23 »

if the nationwide offer is still on next year . Had that been confirmed?

it's a good deal if it's still on
---------
ps. should say when I said 3 more wins, was talking about mathematical certainty. we aren't going down

No idea, am hoping so.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 18:41:48 »

I'm sure it won't affect your decision, but thought I'd ask.

Shame we are losing regulars, but it's to be expected with how things are. hope you get the mojo back in the future
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 19:55:06 »

To be fair to Wellens, Doughty deserved to be yanked yesterday.  The timing even suggests he was given a chance to find a solution to the man marking problem he was faced with, and the few early minutes of that second half showed he wasn't changing anything about the way he was playing.  It's annoying, because you know he is indeed the best player we have.  It should not take more than 20 minutes or so to figure out that you have a shadow.  Just staying in the same area of the pitch and letting him follow you is dumb.  The guy is 40, run him into the ground if he is going to try and track you all game.  His issue, I think, is a desire to be seen as being on the ball, of making a difference.  I can understand why when he probably knows he is better than this. BUT, yesterday was a game to realise you could sacrifice yourself from the game and create the space for others.  He didn't, he simply got frustrated (fell over a few times trying to get a free kick).  Wellens' mistake was putting Twine on in his place.  he had the opportunity to fix two problems at once by bringing on Knoyle and moving Carrol into midfield.  Carrol was having a disaster of a game, and you can argue he shuold have come off as well.  However, I think moving him into midfield would have made Crawley re-think what to do with their man marking effort while also fixing the right back issue for us.
I don't disagree with the changes you propose, but listening to Wellens post match he seemed to be saying he was playing Doughty as a No 10. I don't know that Doughty thought he was doing that and if he did, he didn't do it particularly well. But from that perspective maybe the Twine sub makes more sense as coming on as a No 10? If so, the failure is to stick to the system rather than rejigging it to better suit the players available. Although either way, taking your top goalscorer off looks bloody stupid when you then win a pen late on that the Poundshop Pogba fluffs at the keeper.
Sir red ken

« Reply #288 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 20:31:53 »

I don't disagree with the changes you propose, but listening to Wellens post match he seemed to be saying he was playing Doughty as a No 10. I don't know that Doughty thought he was doing that and if he did, he didn't do it particularly well. But from that perspective maybe the Twine sub makes more sense as coming on as a No 10? If so, the failure is to stick to the system rather than rejigging it to better suit the players available. Although either way, taking your top goalscorer off looks bloody stupid when you then win a pen late on that the Poundshop Pogba fluffs at the keeper.

"Pound shop Pogba" Love it that's the quote of the season.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 20:41:56 »

I think the point was it didn't matter where he was supposed to be playing, he should have been bright enough to just keep floating all over the pitch and drag the marker with him, until he runs out of legs, or to provide space for someone else to attack.  That is where having Dunne an McCourt was a problem, it needed someone more dynamic and attacking in there to take advantage.  Crawley were not sending many players forward and would have had a big gap if they insisted on following Doughty.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 20:55:30 »

I think the point was it didn't matter where he was supposed to be playing, he should have been bright enough to just keep floating all over the pitch and drag the marker with him, until he runs out of legs, or to provide space for someone else to attack.  That is where having Dunne an McCourt was a problem, it needed someone more dynamic and attacking in there to take advantage.  Crawley were not sending many players forward and would have had a big gap if they insisted on following Doughty.
Yup, completely agree. As I say, if that was the role he was supposed to be playing, he didn't do it well
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 21:52:09 »

"Pound shop Pogba" Love it that's the quote of the season.
+1

I said earlier he took that pen thinking he was Lionel Messi - I got it wrong, he took it like Lionel Blair!!!!!

No one kills a thread like me....
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 22:45:18 »

+1

I said earlier he took that pen thinking he was Lionel Messi - I got it wrong, he took it like Lionel Blair!!!!!

+2. In awe of "Poundshop Pogba".

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 00:23:56 »

+1

as it happens, messi is not a very good converter of penalties, so maybe you were right first time.  Whatever, the actual pen was unbelievably poor for a pro footballer.  Anderson really needs a psychologist to get inside his goal-shy head

I thought Anderson's overall performance was ok.  He was working very hard with virtually non-existent creative support.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 01:14:51 »

I've seen worse taken penalties by professional footballers. Can we at least give the keeper credit for making a decent save. Yes it was close to him. Anderson went to put it in the bottom corner and misjudged. The pace wasn't so bad but it was way too close to the keeper.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 01:33:43 »

I've seen worse taken penalties by professional footballers. Can we at least give the keeper credit for making a decent save. Yes it was close to him. Anderson went to put it in the bottom corner and misjudged. The pace wasn't so bad but it was way too close to the keeper.

No debate.  It was a shit penalty and it looked like it would be a shit penalty before he took it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 07:00:11 »

er no. the only good thing you can say about the penalty was it was on target.

I'd be disappointed if an u10 keeper didn't save that.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #297 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 08:44:31 »

er no. the only good thing you can say about the penalty was it was on target.

I'd be disappointed if an u10 keeper didn't save that.
This. It was up there with the poorest pens I have ever seen from any Swindon player, but at least as Boo says it was on target, the keeper could have dived and got up again and redived before the ball got to him.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #298 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 08:54:19 »

It was a poor penalty. Not that I was at all surprised by it.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #299 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 08:56:56 »

It was a poor penalty. Not that I was at all surprised by it.
His whole demeanor as he walked up to it was wrong, his body language showed he was reluctant to take it, plus points for being the only one confident enough to do it, minus points for the actual exectution of the penalty.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: