Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Crawley pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 50392 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 15:30:45 »

I'd hazard a guess at being a boring old cunt but I think that ship has long sailed.

I don't do personal abuse.... I'll by all means engage if you keep to the facts, should you regard them as contentious, otherwise it defeats the point of a forum.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 15:32:11 »

...in favour of the sort of ill grounded hyperbole that you favour then the answer is no.

Pertaining that the play-offs was (still is, long way to go) a reasonable target to achieve is not ill grounded hyperbole. Constantly droning that our fucking "Football League status, is seriously in doubt" and that nearly every single match is "a clutch tie" or "a must win game to avoid further doubt" is the kind of scaremongering akin to a government that is desperate to retain control.

I talk a lot of shit but I don't try to take the moral high ground, while presenting a model of instilling your own version of "Project Fear" and dress it up as pure "factual analysis". If anyone is doing "ill grounded hyperbole", it's you. You've done it since you left the womb one can imagine?  Hmmm

Have a lovely afternoon  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 15:58:30 »

Pertaining that the play-offs was (still is, long way to go) a reasonable target to achieve is not ill grounded hyperbole. Constantly droning that our fucking "Football League status, is seriously in doubt" and that nearly every single match is "a clutch tie" or "a must win game to avoid further doubt" is the kind of scaremongering akin to a government that is desperate to retain control.

I talk a lot of shit but I don't try to take the moral high ground, while presenting a model of instilling your own version of "Project Fear" and dress it up as pure "factual analysis". If anyone is doing "ill grounded hyperbole", it's you. You've done it since you left the womb one can imagine?  Hmmm

Have a lovely afternoon  Pint

Clearly I wouldn't use the term clutch tie.... cup ties, league games.  It's quite simple although all games are worth 3 points, nobody will ever win every game, therefore some games are more important than others, as they set back a rival, break a poor sequence, keep a manager in his job etc. Further it's partly about psychological impact, so for example had we lost to Lincoln, would the impact have been as damaging as losing to Crawley?

Of course much of this is speculation... we don't get to make the decisions, and I'm sure if Wellens knew the answers to our poor home form he would rectify it.  But it's this speculation which for many fans is the bread and butter of fandom.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 16:00:09 »

Went yesterday, terrible and bizarre all at the same time.  Yesterday just confirmed what I already knew, I hope Wellens learnt something out of it......

.......Having said that, I still like what Wellens is saying and I like the plan that he trying to put in place, but, he had a nightmare yesterday tactically, and with his decision making.

This. especially the tactics and decision making.

Unfortunately another season ambles by in a Division where there is not a single club really head and shoulders above any other and a Division where I thought that we could/should be doing far better. Building for next season is all very laudable but the basic flaws have currently not been acted upon, too many loan players, (75% of the back four and 50% of the outfield team for the last ten/fifteen minutes of yesterdays game!), no really effective forward(s) signed and too many midfielders of a similar calibre.

Unless we are to become a run of the mill Divvy 4 side (balls to it being Division 2) which we currently are, then there is a lot of work to be done and for the first time in many, many years I will be seriously considering whether to renew my season ticket and take each game as it comes.  Frustration

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Sir red ken

« Reply #274 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 16:28:03 »

This. especially the tactics and decision making.

Unfortunately another season ambles by in a Division where there is not a single club really head and shoulders above any other and a Division where I thought that we could/should be doing far better. Building for next season is all very laudable but the basic flaws have currently not been acted upon, too many loan players, (75% of the back four and 50% of the outfield team for the last ten/fifteen minutes of yesterdays game!), no really effective forward(s) signed and too many midfielders of a similar calibre.

Unless we are to become a run of the mill Divvy 4 side (balls to it being Division 2) which we currently are, then there is a lot of work to be done and for the first time in many, many years I will be seriously considering whether to renew my season ticket and take each game as it comes.  Frustration

All the above is correct, when I read that Wellens was making signings with next seasons pomo push in mind. It was obvious that going up this season was never an option. We are staying in the middle of Div3 for sometime unless the club gets taken over. The summer will be full of potential signings and last minute loans, that's how its been and going to be with LP running the club, so long as season ticket sales don't drop, why worry we could have 2 massive local derby's next season.Those who think that we'll be any different next season are deluding themselves, the clubs run on a shoe string with large gates for this division must be making a profit of some sort?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 16:32:51 »

Take it your fishing trip down the res didn't go too well this morning, Sir Dred?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 16:34:15 »

All the above is correct, when I read that Wellens was making signings with next seasons pomo push in mind. It was obvious that going up this season was never an option. We are staying in the middle of Div3 for sometime unless the club gets taken over. The summer will be full of potential signings and last minute loans, that's how its been and going to be with LP running the club, so long as season ticket sales don't drop, why worry we could have 2 massive local derby's next season.Those who think that we'll be any different next season are deluding themselves, the clubs run on a shoe string with large gates for this division must be making a profit of some sort?

This is spot on. Power has shown again and again that he has no intention at all of changing how he runs the club.

To be honest we get the third best average gate in this league. From what I can see we still find it very hard to get the players on we need (striker) while the likes of Bury don’t have these issues.

We rebuild the virtually whole squad every season and doing this you will never get any consistency or put in place building blocks and achieve anything.

If Power stays I cannot see us getting out of this division. I can also see ST numbers continuing to fall if we stay as we are.
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 16:42:06 »

Getting back to the match itself - having just watched the short highlights, aside for how inept we were at passing the ball, the biggest question I have is how fucking monumentally shit - and arrogant - was the pen by Anderson?  90th minute, perfect chance (and probably our only real chance in the game) and he decides he is Lionel Fucking Messi. Suicide

I guess it is a positive that he got a shot on target for once, but fucking hell, what a shit, arrogant, cockish way to take a pen at that stage in the game.

No one kills a thread like me....
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 16:45:38 »

Not renewing mine next season. Niece works at nationwide so a tenner a game and pick and choose. Wouldn't have watched some of the games I have this season if didn't have an ST. 4 home wins  Suicide
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 17:12:43 »

Getting back to the match itself - having just watched the short highlights, aside for how inept we were at passing the ball, the biggest question I have is how fucking monumentally shit - and arrogant - was the pen by Anderson?  90th minute, perfect chance (and probably our only real chance in the game) and he decides he is Lionel Fucking Messi. Suicide

I guess it is a positive that he got a shot on target for once, but fucking hell, what a shit, arrogant, cockish way to take a pen at that stage in the game.
One of the few things to enjoy from yesterday is on the "highlights" the effects mike inadvertently picks up some amateur crowd commentary on Anderson's pen (about 1min 45s)

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 17:14:48 »

Quote from: @mwooly63
Not renewing mine next season. Niece works at nationwide so a tenner a game and pick and choose. Wouldn't have watched some of the games I have this season if didn't have an ST. 4 home wins  Suicide

if the nationwide offer is still on next year . Had that been confirmed?

it's a good deal if it's still on
---------
ps. should say when I said 3 more wins, was talking about mathematical certainty. we aren't going down
Flashheart

« Reply #281 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 17:16:36 »

One of the few things to enjoy from yesterday is on the "highlights" the effects mike inadvertently picks up some amateur crowd commentary on Anderson's pen (about 1min 45s)

Clap
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 17:31:14 »

I don’t really have much to add. Wellens failed badly by trotting out the same 11 on autopilot. Having pace up front and a pair of DMs makes perfect sense away to Tranmere. Not at home to Crawley. That is not a difficult conclusion to reach.

Withdrawing our biggest goal threat was not clever. Yes he was having a poor game, but he was in good company there. If his attitude is really posing a problem, fine, leave him out of the squad. But don’t keep playing silly games with him. I’ve been patient with Anderson, but enough is enough. Surely Doughty does not have a worse attitude than him.

There’s a time and a place for Dunne... and it is not at 0-0 at home to Crawley, let alone 0-1. It’s the day on which we needed someone like Taylor on the pitch. Yes, he has plenty of failings now, but there’s a fair chance he’d have produced 1 or 2 of his magic moments from one of the many free kicks - even if he’d shanked three quarters of them into the first man or the stand. Plus you know, for sure, that the guy is a winner and will put a proper shift in.

Don’t bite at the whole Reg Smeeton malarkey. Just leave him to it and talk around it.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 17:33:21 by ferret » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 17:48:28 »

To be fair to Wellens, Doughty deserved to be yanked yesterday.  The timing even suggests he was given a chance to find a solution to the man marking problem he was faced with, and the few early minutes of that second half showed he wasn't changing anything about the way he was playing.  It's annoying, because you know he is indeed the best player we have.  It should not take more than 20 minutes or so to figure out that you have a shadow.  Just staying in the same area of the pitch and letting him follow you is dumb.  The guy is 40, run him into the ground if he is going to try and track you all game.  His issue, I think, is a desire to be seen as being on the ball, of making a difference.  I can understand why when he probably knows he is better than this. BUT, yesterday was a game to realise you could sacrifice yourself from the game and create the space for others.  He didn't, he simply got frustrated (fell over a few times trying to get a free kick).  Wellens' mistake was putting Twine on in his place.  he had the opportunity to fix two problems at once by bringing on Knoyle and moving Carrol into midfield.  Carrol was having a disaster of a game, and you can argue he shuold have come off as well.  However, I think moving him into midfield would have made Crawley re-think what to do with their man marking effort while also fixing the right back issue for us.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Sunday, January 27, 2019, 17:59:07 »

I don't do personal abuse.... I'll by all means engage if you keep to the facts, should you regard them as contentious, otherwise it defeats the point of a forum.
I thought 'cunt' was a term of endearment on here?? & surely you aren't taking umbrage to being called boring or old?  Hmmm Hmmm

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: