Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Richie Wellens.. so far.  (Read 99271 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Friday, May 15, 2020, 16:58:52 »

One full season as a Manager, one Championship*.  Pretty good going.

* - who gives a fuck how.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Friday, May 15, 2020, 19:36:44 »

And made us the most entertaining team in English football - FACT!

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #347 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 08:34:49 »

Just shows our direness from set peices! *has to be our only weakness.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 08:41:03 »

Doughty obviously decent with his free kicks, but it's corners we need to score more from. Remember the great days of Taylor and Calderwood.

« Last Edit: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 08:49:08 by 4D » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 09:01:18 »

Just shows our direness from set peices! *has to be our only weakness.

To a degree it does. Though I was thinking how our number of corners per games looks and free kicks in the last third also look compared with other clubs, that would further cement that stat. I suspect that Wellens knows this and will be taking steps to address that in L1 😁
Peter Venkman

« Reply #350 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 09:04:35 »

To a degree it does. Though I was thinking how our number of corners per games looks and free kicks in the last third also look compared with other clubs, that would further cement that stat. I suspect that Wellens knows this and will be taking steps to address that in L1 😁
I would suggest that we have had probably more than our fair share of corners yet rarely score from them, I think no more than 3 or 4 goals from corners this season at most? and free kicks are even rarer, DOughty grabbed at least 1 IIRC and maybe Rose but thats about it.

ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 09:54:21 »

Interesting that three of the top five are in Lg1 and 2 - the 'lump it leagues'.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #352 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 10:01:34 »

It would have been L2 play off final at Wembley today had the season played out.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 10:09:41 »

Doughty obviously decent with his free kicks, but it's corners we need to score more from. Remember the great days of Taylor and Calderwood.

Tbf, a lot of our corners - especially in the latter games - were played short to DJ in an effort to bamboozle defenders before passing it in hope of finding Doyle et al.

If Wellens feels he’d rather have defensive cover from a corner breakdown rather than an ‘all up and hope someone gets a head on it’ approach that is an obvious tactical decision not to just chuck a corner into the box.

Free kicks, however, are another matter - although the same approach applies. Pointless hoiking it in if we really don’t have any options to get on the end of a high ball. Doughty can take a mean direct free kick.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 10:19:35 »

I would suggest that we have had probably more than our fair share of corners yet rarely score from them, I think no more than 3 or 4 goals from corners this season at most? and free kicks are even rarer, DOughty grabbed at least 1 IIRC and maybe Rose but thats about it.

Definitely a poor set piece season I agree. Nice thing about football is the optimism that the next match, next cup run, next penalty or next season is not far away to improve in some meaningful way.
Flashheart

« Reply #355 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 10:26:58 »

Regarding set pieces.

I remember earlier this year Wellens saying that at this level, you have to choose between physicality OR technique. You can't have both. At a higher level, when you can afford to pay more, you can afford to look at more players that offer both. So, maybe we'll improve in that aspect next season. I won't be too upset if we don't, though.
Panda Paws

« Reply #356 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 10:53:26 »

Corners, and crossing in general, are overrated. Super low xG. Much better recycling possession and creating high quality chances, much to the fury of the Arkells.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 11:06:35 »

Regarding set pieces.

I remember earlier this year Wellens saying that at this level, you have to choose between physicality OR technique. You can't have both. At a higher level, when you can afford to pay more, you can afford to look at more players that offer both. So, maybe we'll improve in that aspect next season. I won't be too upset if we don't, though.

That is a fair comment, from both of you. After all we have ‘gained’ promotion on the back of playing possession football and putting the ball on the ground and into the net very successfully.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 11:17:38 »

That is a fair comment, from both of you. After all we have ‘gained’ promotion on the back of playing possession football and putting the ball on the ground and into the net very successfully.
But would this tactic work in L1,  especially if Doyle is no longer with us ??,    interesting times ahead.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Flashheart

« Reply #359 on: Saturday, May 16, 2020, 11:25:13 »

Without wanting to belittle Doyle's season, I think any half decent striker will do well under Wellens.

Yates has a similar scoring record to Doyle when he has been played in Doye's postition. Doyle also had a simliar scoring record at Oldhamd in L1.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: