Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Richie Wellens.. so far.  (Read 100313 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Monday, February 3, 2020, 21:42:29 »

To much time on people’s hands 😁
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Monday, February 3, 2020, 21:51:06 »

Not really,  it's just a wind up.   Cheesy Cheesy

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Tuesday, February 4, 2020, 16:30:39 »

Think back-to-back might be a bit much but I've been saying much the same for a few weeks now, can see Wellens taking us up from League 1 (or having a bloody good tilt at it) within 3 seasons (this being the 1st). But we need to keep hold of him and back him, think he's clearly signalled in recent weeks he wants to see the club matching his ambition. Which the club very much have this January, let's hope it's more of the same on the back of a successful promotion campaign in the summer

I've been saying much the same recent weeks, but my worry is hanging onto him if a championship club comes calling within the next year, while if we do get said training ground and stadium ownership it is not going to be quick and, we also have to remember his family are still living up north I believe so he may want to join them if a northern championship team comes calling.

I think at some point though if we we are doing well next season other teams will start to look at our players and at that point that will signal the ambition, if we sell at first offer or hang on for bigger offers and a chunk of the fee given to Wellens to invest in the squad.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Tuesday, February 4, 2020, 16:40:27 »

I've been saying much the same recent weeks, but my worry is hanging onto him if a championship club comes calling within the next year, while if we do get said training ground and stadium ownership it is not going to be quick and, we also have to remember his family are still living up north I believe so he may want to join them if a northern championship team comes calling.

I think at some point though if we we are doing well next season other teams will start to look at our players and at that point that will signal the ambition, if we sell at first offer or hang on for bigger offers and a chunk of the fee given to Wellens to invest in the squad.

Out of interest who do you think of the current squad might be a saleable asset?  I see quite a few veterans and quite a few loans, nowt wrong with that because the aim changed from player develoment to trying to win a few games when we got relegated.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Tuesday, February 4, 2020, 16:55:53 »

Out of the current squad, if we get promoted and contract status is maintained, then the following could grab a fee (the assumption here is critical - continued success, hence increasing the relative value of each player).

Doughty
Isgrove
Fryers
Hope
Woolery
Anderson

To reiterate, they'd have to be part of a collective team on the up to get any real value but they are all young enough for a season and a bit of progress to have some value.  It doesn't take much to get a player worth some money, so a year or two is usually enough due to the escalating value that occurs in football up the chain.

Not sure Hunt, as a full back, would be in the same bracket, and you'd think anyone in their 30's would be pushing it.

In reality, none of them would bring big money, aside maybe from Anderson having some potential if he was firing for most of early part of next season.  If Doughty had continued his goal scoring form this season and then maintained it next, he'd be valuable.  The fact he has so few this season probably dampens that prospect.

What we don't have, that you are probably alluding to, is an in contract young striker in form on our books.  That's where the money is down here - Anderson and Doughty at their absolute best (assuming they reach full potential) are still not going for 7 figures in the bottom two leagues.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:03:00 »

Listening back to last night's phone in this morning, while Wellens refused (rightly) to start talking about contract extensions etc, he talked about the club being capable of going on to a League 1 playoff berth (next season?) and thence the Championship. Given it was in the same section, strong implication he'd like to be the man to do that.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:21:36 »

I think he wants to stay here, it just depends what we offer him. I always get a sense he knows he's turned the club around a bit on and off the pitch and he loves it. Also, his mum said on Twitter he loves it here and if that isn't confirmation I don't know what is.

It'd be nice to have a decent manager stay a few years for a change.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:27:06 »

Listening back to last night's phone in this morning, while Wellens refused (rightly) to start talking about contract extensions etc, he talked about the club being capable of going on to a League 1 playoff berth (next season?) and thence the Championship. Given it was in the same section, strong implication he'd like to be the man to do that.

I couldn’t care less about that.

More importantly did anybody ask him about the algebra lessons issue?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:33:59 »

I was thinking about the fantastic attendance on Saturday and I still can’t really put my finger on why it was so huge.

We had similar games against promotion rivals recently - Crewe, Bradford (were at the time) - and there were circa 7000 home fans.

Surely, it can’t have been just about the Doyle hoo-ha. Adding 4000 fans is virtually unprecedented for a league game (for us) that wasn’t an actual promotion or championship decider.

I still find it kinda weird.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:39:09 »

Ditto. Obviously payday passing has helped for some-but even so...

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:40:52 »

I think he wants to stay here, it just depends what we offer him. I always get a sense he knows he's turned the club around a bit on and off the pitch and he loves it. Also, his mum said on Twitter he loves it here and if that isn't confirmation I don't know what is.

God, are we stalking Wellens mum on Twitter now!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:41:31 »

In the modern game managerial appointments are mostly short term.... OK you can get an occasional longer lasting one, but very much the exception.  Look at someone like Gary Monk about the same age as Welllens on his 5th club. I think Wellens is contracted for next season, but that won't mean squat if it turns to shit.

Colin Calderwood, got a nice contract extension in the autumn as Cambridge had a decent start after he kept them up last year... gone before the end of winter.

The possible improvements in training and stadium are probably too far away, for modern short termism.  Let's imagine that there were concrete plans for definite stadium development and Highworth on tap for the end of 20/21, but there isn't.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:42:39 »

" I think Wellens is contracted for next season, but that won't mean squat if it turns to shit."

I think he said until this summer on the phone in.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:46:58 »

In the modern game managerial appointments are mostly short term.... OK you can get an occasional longer lasting one, but very much the exception.  Look at someone like Gary Monk about the same age as Welllens on his 5th club. I think Wellens is contracted for next season, but that won't mean squat if it turns to shit.

Colin Calderwood, got a nice contract extension in the autumn as Cambridge had a decent start after he kept them up last year... gone before the end of winter.

The possible improvements in training and stadium are probably too far away, for modern short termism.  Let's imagine that there were concrete plans for definite stadium development and Highworth on tap for the end of 20/21, but there isn't.

What a cheerful and positive post......
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:47:22 »

" I think Wellens is contracted for next season, but that won't mean squat if it turns to shit."

I think he said until this summer on the phone in.

Not so good then.... I'd imagine his agent will advise keeping options open.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: