Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Richie Wellens.. so far.  (Read 100344 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Thursday, January 9, 2020, 14:55:42 »

Not really a personal attack... more a case you seem to agree with what I'm saying and then saying I'm wrong about WEllens because he's done pretty well.

I think I've been generally supportive of Wellens, apart form questioning his 2 statements last season about being too reliant on loans and having squad players he can't use, and pointing out we seem to have the same this season.

OK, so far it hasn't affected matters, but earlier in the thread I did say by mid Jan we'd probably have a better of idea of how the rest of the season will shape up, as these issues resolve themselves one way or another. Not quite there yet.

The one thing I have learned, and quite like, about Wellens, is that he rarely tells the whole truth.  He's an obvious graduate from the Fergie school.  He'll bend the truth with clever language to shape the discussion externally how it he wants it most of the time.  Like the Lyden injury.  He know it's all theatre, and if he can get even a small advantage by using the media, he'll do it.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Thursday, January 9, 2020, 17:02:44 »

Not really a personal attack... more a case you seem to agree with what I'm saying and then saying I'm wrong about WEllens because he's done pretty well.
Your logic is a bit flawed to say the least.....I said I agreed that it will be challenging, particularly now that Doyle has left. This has nothing to do with how he has performed so far though.

Although, considering he has coped more than admirably so far, I don't really have any concerns about how well he will cope with the rest of the season.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #137 on: Thursday, January 9, 2020, 17:51:22 »

The one thing I have learned, and quite like, about Wellens, is that he rarely tells the whole truth.  He's an obvious graduate from the Fergie school.  He'll bend the truth with clever language to shape the discussion externally how it he wants it most of the time.  Like the Lyden injury.  He know it's all theatre, and if he can get even a small advantage by using the media, he'll do it.
You are spot on with Wellens.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 14:42:17 »

Things have just got a whole lot harder for Welllens, I feel sorry for the fella, has done a remarkable job with slim resources, but by so doing has pushed up the expectations of those who struggle with reality.

Very difficult to see this ending in a good way....
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 14:50:10 »

Things have just got a whole lot harder for Welllens, I feel sorry for the fella, has done a remarkable job with slim resources, but by so doing has pushed up the expectations of those who struggle with reality.

I think he is being presented with a challenge he knew could come to pass.  He took some positive gambles this season to get us the right quality:

a) Loan players beyond our current level of player
b) Permanent signings who had shown much greater promise than L2 but had either injury or personal problems in the past

The gamble with a) is always the risk of them being recalled
The gamble with b) is they could be the sort of player that just keeps getting injured or in trouble

He's used it to his advantage so far - the change in tactics for Crewe is a great example of how this gamble pays off.  The team is much more intelligent (football QI not literal) and can put tactical changes into action with less coaching needed.

The flip side is he knew the gamble has a downside, and that is how he earns his wages from us, managing both aspects.

The table doesn't change because we have some challenges, we keep the points in the bank.  Nobody is looking like running away with this league, so teams below us will all keep losing points.  It may be tougher in the remaining 18 games than it has been up until now (if things remain challenging on the squad side), but we still have a great chance thanks to the work he has put in so far.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 14:51:00 »

I mean, it’s not very difficult is it?

Every striker Wellens/Jewell has bought to the club has scored 1-in-2 (or thereabouts).

The uncertainty isn’t great, and it *could* trigger something bad. But you’d be being deliberately negative to suggests it’s very difficult to see otherwise

Things get better but they never get good
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 14:54:01 »

He also asserted that he can take other people's poorly performing players and improve them.

Maybe now that Bradford and Rotherham have saleable assets and we are top of the league, maybe other managers will be keen to give us their under-performing 'stars' to polish!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 15:02:13 »

Couldn't resist could you? Put the kleenex away, long way to go in January, never mind the season, before you start gloating
Flashheart

« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 15:08:39 »

It is VERY easy to see this ending in a good way.

That's not to say it will end up that way, nobody can be sure. But, at this point in time, it is still very easy to envisage it happening. Very easy indeed.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 15:15:05 »

Couldn't resist could you? Put the kleenex away, long way to go in January, never mind the season, before you start gloating
Is reg wrong? It has got harder for Wellens and he has done a remarkable job on limited resources. I am not a doom monger at all but on what basis and what evidence is there to say under powers ownership that this will end in a good way?  I know it is fun to bash Reg at times but seriously what has he said there that is that wide of the mark ?
Panda Paws

« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 15:16:30 »

Is reg wrong? It has got harder for Wellens and he has done a remarkable job on limited resources. I am not a doom monger at all but on what basis and what evidence is there to say under powers ownership that this will end in a good way?  I know it is fun to bash Reg at times but seriously what has he said there that is that wide of the mark ?

This bit, as Flashheart spells out, is complete and utter drivel.

"Very difficult to see this ending in a good way...."
Flashheart

« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 15:17:40 »

He is wrong to say that it's difficult to see it ending in a good way. It's not difficult at all.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 15:18:48 »

This bit, as Flashheart spells out, is complete and utter drivel.

"Very difficult to see this ending in a good way...."
Like is aid though being a town fan what evidence is there it ends in a good way with the way it's gone over the last 5 years? It's hardly drivel for fucksake he has as much right to say it looks bad as anyone else who thinks it can easily be good
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 15:22:59 »

Maybe i am in a foul mood but i see nothing positive at all in losing our top 2 goalscorers in January and from experience it has not ended well in the past when these things have happened in the past.
Flashheart

« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 15:24:05 »

Like is aid though being a town fan what evidence is there it ends in a good way

We're top of the league, for starters.
With a good team, albeit missing in a couple of positions.
And a recruitment team that has been nothing short of impressive so far.

So, quite easy to see how it could end up going well really.

The previous 5 years mean nowt. Wellens and Jewell were not here then, or should we judge them on the performance of Brown and Flitcroft etc?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: