Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Richie Wellens.. so far.  (Read 99770 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 15:42:02 »

Most teams picked up injuries in the xmas period as well.

It's the attritional nature of Div 4.  It's why gaffers often fill up their sides with big strong lads who may not be the best footballers, but are durable.  Bradford City being an example. 

It's how you respond to these situations that decide how the season will pan out, although of course being Town, you can never assume things will be straightforward....  take 6 years ago in Feb, top of Div 3, when the wheels completely fall off.

Interestingly of the other 5 teams kicking around the top 6 then.... 2 have gone on to the Prem, and 2 went to the Conference.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 15:43:11 »

Nothing to do with the PdC circus, then?
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 15:50:53 »

Nothing to do with the PdC circus, then?
Doesn't fit his narrative.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 16:08:58 »

...of course being Town, you can never assume things will be straightforward....  take 6 years ago in Feb, top of Div 3, when the wheels completely fall off.

You're a twat at times Reg. Wheels fell off because Black had, had enough of the spending (even though we were on course for promotion) and PdC ended up leaving because transfers pending wouldn't be funded. Black pulled the plug, we were put under embargo and the rest is history.

I expected better from you as these are two massively different scenarios. We don't have group of benefactors worth c£350m for starters, we aren't spending beyond our means, and we have a manager that seems a little more emotionally stable.

Don't deflect.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 16:39:47 »

You're a twat at times Reg. Wheels fell off because Black had, had enough of the spending (even though we were on course for promotion) and PdC ended up leaving because transfers pending wouldn't be funded. Black pulled the plug, we were put under embargo and the rest is history.

I expected better from you as these are two massively different scenarios. We don't have group of benefactors worth c£350m for starters, we aren't spending beyond our means, and we have a manager that seems a little more emotionally stable.

Don't deflect.

As often the case not sure what your point is.... mine is that Wellens will need to show his managerial mettle going forward because of the problems and if he continues to get results it will reflect well on him... however this being STFC things are rarely straightforward.    Another, more recent example of that, Flitcroft had us in the PO's had just won 5 on the spin at home and then bailed, which along with injuries to key defenders (attrition again) scuppered our chances
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 17:05:35 »

You brought up the season where the "wheels fell off" and was clearly using it as an example of how bad things can become.    I presume you were talking about the PDC departure and change in Board?  If so, we finished the play offs - so even a complete repeat would see us with a chance of promotion.  However, we all know it is very unlikely to repeat, so as a cautionary tale, it is not the most useful.

If this was last season, we'd need 27 points from 20 games to confirm promotion - even with a few injuries, and even if we didn't bother to replace Doyle, we are on course to achieve that.

What's Wellens total record in the league up to now?  Given where he started, I;d say he's earned the right to be trusted in this transfer window, and so far, his gamble is paying off.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 17:07:19 »

Yes but you're using incomparable scenarios to measure up Wellens ability with.

Wellens doesn't appear to be leaving us mid-season and plays a better brand of football than Flitcroft. He also appears to be a much better manager than Flitcroft (I await a table of incomparable stats, since Wellens has managed less games than DF). The two aren't comparable. The manager leaving unexpectedly is huge disruption and is much bigger than a player leaving (if said manger is pretty good).

Wellens does have to prove his mettle through a sticky period, I agree. I see no signs of him jumping ship at the first sign of interest (see Doncaster rebuff) like DF and I see no signs of him throwing his toys out of his pram or a huge amount of investment withdrawn like the PdC scenario, because he wasn't being allowed carte blanche.

Pick a more comparable set of circumstances or manager if you're trying to find a stick to poke RW with. Those two aren't the ones. Unless you are Nostradamus incarnate and you're suggesting that you know the wheels have fallen off our season? It certainly doesn't look that way.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 18:22:33 »

You brought up the season where the "wheels fell off"

Yes, as an example of how things are rarely straightforward.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 19:31:39 »

But it's a bad example was Bamboo's point.  An unlikely event to occur again.

Earlier in the season I quoted the same sort of feel as 95/96 in terms of how the team looked on the pitch vs. opposition.  I think some games still feel that way, but the defensive injuries have opened us up a bit more.

That season after 26 games we had 53 points with 15 wins under our belt.  Scored 44 and conceded 18.  We went on to win the league and finished 10 points clear in the Auto spots.  We were 7 points ahead of the Play Offs after we had played 26 games, but had played 2 more than the top team in the play off spots.

Momentum is tough to shake, it usually requires something pretty seismic, like losing your Manager and the funding for the club in one week.  A few injuries and even losing a player can be carried by teams with momentum.  That first 26 games has given us a head start, we can be mid table-esque from here and make it.  That's not a guarantee, just a probability.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 21:24:40 »

But it's a bad example was Bamboo's point.  An unlikely event to occur again.
TBF this is the bloke who earlier in the season cited one anomalous season 40 years ago that needed 53 points to stay up as a caution against complacency this season. On which point I note we still need at least another 3 draws to secure our league status for another year #clingingOn
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 21:42:36 »

Wellens has done a fantastic job so far. He has exceeded my expectations. Would be good to try and sign him on an extended contract but I think there will be plenty of underachieving clubs with bigger budgets who could tempt Wellens to join them. I guess it depends on Wellens ambition. Ultimately I think the best he could achieve with us is promotion to the championship with Swindon being a club like Rotherham or Barnsley who yo-yo between the championship and league 1. To achieve anything more the chairman would need to pump mega money into the club.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 21:56:54 »

Fuck me, I actually agree with everything you just said StefTroll. It's nice to be seeing some decent football isn't it?  Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 22:11:35 »

Yes, as an example of how things are rarely straightforward.

But what's it got to do with Richie Wellens..so far, which is supposed to be what the thread is about? Not what could happen if the fucking wheels fall off.

Just for once admit that you were wrong about him and that the has done pretty well.....even if it is only so far.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 22:12:17 »

At the start of the season, I thought that an 8th place finish should be regarded as a success.  Consequently, I am delighted that STFC are exceeding my expectations. I think that 3rd will be the ultimate outcome.

Nothing to see here
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 22:16:15 »

But what's it got to do with Richie Wellens..so far, which is supposed to be what the thread is about? Not what could happen if the fucking wheels fall off.

Just for once admit that you were wrong about him and that the has done pretty well.....even if it is only so far.

I'll even admit I was very downbeat on the prospect of him getting the job, done a fantastic job though, so far.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: