Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Richie Wellens.. so far.  (Read 99260 times)
Flashheart

« on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 20:19:48 »

Just wondering what peoples' opinion are so far.

His appointment was met with much derision but has not turned out to be the disaster that many were expecting. He's not exactly excelled either, though. A bit hit and miss.

Personally, I like what he's tried to do so far but he just hasn't had the right personnel. That's not to say he hasn't inherited a good squad, but an imbalanced squad. I'm confident that with a few tweeks, he can turn those draws into wins.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 20:29:49 »

He's doing OK... when he came we were 16th now 12th.... he's got us above PV, Cobblers, Crawley and Yeovil...certainly a better prospect than dropping us 4 places.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 18, 2019, 20:33:31 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 20:32:29 »

Impressed so far. Appears he takes shit from nobody. I like the style he is trying to implement - albeit being let down by the lack of a striker.

Got a free pass for the rest of this season as it seems he is building with next season in mind.

It’s still a fairly shitty league and a few consecutive wins may give us summat to get excited about.
Sir red ken

« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 20:33:43 »

He only needs 5 or 6 more wins and the town are safe for another season. Based on that result I'd say he's been a success.
His remit next year will be to keep us around mid, to upper mid position, with the chance of a playoff place during the run in.
And the same the year after that and the year after that.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 20:52:18 »

He's done better than I expected, but I'm glad he's got experience in his backroom now.

It's still far too early to say one way or the other really.

Like you say it's been hit and miss, last week was an example of miss in his subs, there have been hits in that regard too.

Recruitment is also hard to judge right now, again that's not going to play out until next season. Not sure why we've brought Rose in, at least in preference to a winger or striker, but we don't know what's going on in the bigger picture.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 21:20:33 »

Impressed so far. Appears he takes shit from nobody. I like the style he is trying to implement - albeit being let down by the lack of a striker.

Got a free pass for the rest of this season as it seems he is building with next season in mind.

It’s still a fairly shitty league and a few consecutive wins may give us summat to get excited about.

Pretty much this.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 21:41:16 »

Too early to say but gut feeling is he will get it right given time. I was quite impressed with how we played as a team v Lincoln given it was my first game in ages and expected worse. We lacked quality in forward areas which is clearly our downfall. No surprise that hasnt quite been rectified yet, he's been here a month and our striker options are poor.

I'm glad we've got a younger manager like Wellens in. It's a decent sized club for him to fall into and he'll be determined to do well. May just fall short this season and have to rebuild somewhat in the summer.

Not writing this season off yet though. Two or 3 wins and we're well in the PO mix.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 18, 2019, 22:52:22 »

Short term results have been passable, but then he’s been dealing with the heap that Flitcroft and Brown left him.

Talks a good game, no bullshit, astute analysis, has a clear way of playing he’s trying to implement, obviously really cares and wants to make a success of it.

Cautiously quite optimistic.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 19, 2019, 10:22:26 »

From what I have seen so far in his 11 games 4 wins 4 draws and 3 defeats I think he has shown promise, obviously the first defeat can almost be discounted as it happened 3 days after his appointment, So since he has been able to influence things 4 wins 4 draws and 2 defeats in the league ok TBF, not pulling tree stumps but steadying the ship.

He has made some "on paper" decent signings and he has acted quickly in getting personel in unlike his forebears who often dawdled right up to deadline day.

On the pitch we are playing much better football than under Flipflop and Brown who both played more of the percentage game playing for and using set peices to score.

We play a decent passing and running game under Wellens which when it works is lovely to watch but the players are not all capable of playing that way. I think he has the players playing tactics that they are familiar with unlike under Brown which confused everyone and Flipflops.....hooooooffff.

He has chosen unwisely on substitutions at times but we are not able to see what happens in training which may explain his decisions which to the fan can look unusual at times.

We are still lacking a striker, yes he has brought in Ben House but I haven't seen him yet and he has only played a matter of 18 minutes in a Town shirt so he MAY be the striker we need...we will see. Richards has not hit any fitness or form yet but showed glimpses against Lincoln that he still has some ability at this level but not playing in the role that Wellens wants him to play.

Over all I think we are playing a far better more attractive style of play in 80% of games and it is entertaining but we just seriously lack goals.

As others have said, until the end of this season its pretty much a free hit for Wellens but if we can string along some sort of form we could feasibly still reach the play offs but I will settle for top 10 finish with some good results and no thrashings with Wellens getting in his own players.

7/10 has made mistakes has done some good but considering he was hated by many even before he managed a game for us, and he was nowhere near my top 10 applicants, I think hes done ok.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 08:43:10 »

Much better than i expected and a bit of fresh air around the place i think. Be interesting to see how Power backs him in the summer as that will obviously be key to how he does long term for the club. Fingers crossed
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 09:14:04 »

Oddly, I've a couple of question marks against him now compared to when I previously posted.

Probably just Saturdays blip talking.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 09:32:11 »

Saturday was the first example of obviously poor decision making but I don't know whether there's mitigating circumstances behind the scenes such as Knoyle not 100% or shitting on his cornflakes.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 10:00:34 »

Much better than i expected and a bit of fresh air around the place i think. Be interesting to see how Power backs him in the summer as that will obviously be key to how he does long term for the club. Fingers crossed
I agree, considering pretty nobody wanted him as manager before he signed hes won over a fair few fans, myself included, already.

Probably just Saturdays blip talking.
I am sure it is still the after effects of such a poor game and result.

Saturday was the first example of obviously poor decision making but I don't know whether there's mitigating circumstances behind the scenes such as Knoyle not 100% or shitting on his cornflakes.
Absolutely, we are not privvy to injury status or other disagreements, hopefully they will be settled soon either way and Knoyle reinstated in the starting line up.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 11:40:28 »

Quote from: Cookie

actually I thought Lincoln was, but that was understandable as trying new things.

yes we don't know what knoyle's state is regarding fitness/attitude
Flashheart

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 11:50:05 »

My opinion remains the same. I'm not going to let it be swayed by 1 performance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: