Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Richie Wellens.. so far.  (Read 100020 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 14:54:45 »

Is this still your prediction from this post of just 5-6 weeks ago?

Predicted 13th place was for last season....  so he improved on Brown last season to get that finish and as stated has improved on last season this season.

Incidentally although you say you're enjoying it for the first time since PdC, it's not what you said while jizzing over Brown.

I personally am enjoying games again after many years of not looking forward to watching us (probably since the last Wembley visit).

I have the buzz again (yes I should see a doctor I know!) which has been missing for a long time, I am quite enjoying the football under PB, he has made us harder to beat, we have competitive options in every position except for LB.

We are at times playing some great passing and running football as good as any we have seen in years, mixed with some long balls too to mix it up a bit.

We are getting a lot of late goals and never seem to give up, even a couple of goals down (except for Lincoln away who bullied us).

I am optimistic for a decent season even though it is still early, the signs are there of making genuine progress on the pitch
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 15:03:03 »

Predicted 13th place was for last season....  so he improved on Brown last season to get that finish and as stated has improved on last season this season.
Not from the post dated 5th November 2019 it wasn't.

And yes I started enjoyign football again under Brown for a while, that quickly went south though near the end of his tenure.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 15:05:01 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 15:17:28 »

Not from the post dated 5th November 2019 it wasn't.

And yes I started enjoyign football again under Brown for a while, that quickly went south though near the end of his tenure.

Here's te 5th of Nov post....

Wellens has improved on last season, after improving on Brown, to get the predicted 13th place finish.

He also this season got the needed results after a poor trot.... all good signs.

However he will come up against 2 things which he pointed out last season as a problem.... namely key men on loan, and too many in the squad not contributing much.  It will be how the management team resolve this in Jan which will decide if we're going anywhere in 2020.

the clue is in to get the predicted 13th place finish.... past tense. In Jan this year in the shaping up thread, I predicted we'd finish 12th or 13th.

By mid Jan next year we should have a clearer idea and set of data to make a solid prediction, we should have resolved one way or another the loans, and hopefully mpoved some of the players not contributing, which might enable a bit of strengthening.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 15:35:56 »

top half then! yes looking if they had beat us they would have been level points in the playoffs, I remember it being close on points for position
Here is a list of matches this season with their position in the table at the time we played them.

A Scunthorpe W
H Carlisle W 10th
A Exeter D 2nd
H Northampton L 19th
A Cheltenham D 8th
H Morecambe W 20th
A Orient W 17th
H Macclesfield W 9th
H Colchester L 13th
A Cambridge W 11th
H Newport L 6th
A Bradford L 6th
H Plymouth D 11th
A Crewe L 1st
H Stevenage W 24th
A Crawley W 17th
H Walsall W 22nd
A Salford W 12th
H Mansfield W 15th
A Grimsby W 20th
H Oldham W 22nd

It shows 11 teams we played were in the top half of the table when we played them, resulting in 4 wins, 3 draws and 4 defeats.

In fixtures vs teams occupying places in the top 7 at the time we played them then its DLLL.

In fixtures vs teams currently in the top 7 places then its been DDLLL with 1 to play on Saturday.

Conversely, we have beaten every team that occupy each one of the bottom 12 positions in the table.

Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 15:37:18 »

We seem to want Doyle, Yates and grant signed sooner rather than later

When does Wellens contract run out? Is it in the summer? Would have thought that Power should be thinking of signing him up on a better deal!! (In case Mansfield et al need another Manager)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 16:15:59 »

We seem to want Doyle, Yates and grant signed sooner rather than later

When does Wellens contract run out? Is it in the summer? Would have thought that Power should be thinking of signing him up on a better deal!! (In case Mansfield et al need another Manager)

Mansfield have just appointed Graham Coughlan who has left Bristol Rovers, 4th in league 1 to join the stags (his family are from Sheffield which probably helps explain the move).

I would imagine Wellens may well be on the BRFC shopping list however?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 16:18:32 »

Not when Nathan Jones, Cotterill, Tisdale and Holloway are all unemployed and Power would want a fee for Wellens and Bristol Rovers are broke.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 17:34:37 »

Mansfield have just appointed Graham Coughlan who has left Bristol Rovers, 4th in league 1 to join the stags (his family are from Sheffield which probably helps explain the move).

No chance. They’ve got no money, their foreign owners have lost interest so have been cutting costs. Small miracle they are where they are in the league.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 22:09:18 »

Here is a list of matches this season with their position in the table at the time we played them.

A Scunthorpe W
H Carlisle W 10th
A Exeter D 2nd
H Northampton L 19th
A Cheltenham D 8th
H Morecambe W 20th
A Orient W 17th
H Macclesfield W 9th
H Colchester L 13th
A Cambridge W 11th
H Newport L 6th
A Bradford L 6th
H Plymouth D 11th
A Crewe L 1st
H Stevenage W 24th
A Crawley W 17th
H Walsall W 22nd
A Salford W 12th
H Mansfield W 15th
A Grimsby W 20th
H Oldham W 22nd

It shows 11 teams we played were in the top half of the table when we played them, resulting in 4 wins, 3 draws and 4 defeats.

In fixtures vs teams occupying places in the top 7 at the time we played them then its DLLL.

In fixtures vs teams currently in the top 7 places then its been DDLLL with 1 to play on Saturday.

Conversely, we have beaten every team that occupy each one of the bottom 12 positions in the table.

Im definitely not afraid of playing the current top 6. its also important to note that after saturday we would have played them all away. our home form is decent. doyle or yates were missing from 3/4 of these teams (we can't say we will implode if we lose doyle as a replacement would be found) and the draws of exeter and chelt should have been wins with no complaints from any home fans.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 06:00:18 »

Wants to sign a new contract when his present one runs out in May.

Good lad!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 07:55:06 »

Good article here. That ‘Goals Scored from Open Play’ stat shows how difficult it would be for Doyle to score at Bradford.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11758/11902490/richie-wellens-interview-on-taking-swindon-top-by-playing-football
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 14:24:37 »

Wellens is having his mettle tested now... the policy of loans and players with dodgy fitness records used back in the summer always had the potential for problems.  It was fair enough insofar as it enabled a bit of extra quality to be brought in.

If he can work his way around the current problems and still get some results, then it will look very good on his CV.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 14:42:58 »

Wellens is having his mettle tested now... the policy of loans and players with dodgy fitness records used back in the summer always had the potential for problems.  It was fair enough insofar as it enabled a bit of extra quality to be brought in.

If he can work his way around the current problems and still get some results, then it will look very good on his CV.
We are still top of the league you know.....the dodgy fitness records haven't worked against him yet.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #103 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 14:50:11 »

We are still top of the league you know.....the dodgy fitness records haven't worked against him yet.
Absolutely.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 15:09:01 »

Most teams picked up injuries in the xmas period as well.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: