Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Richie Wellens.. so far.  (Read 99821 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:27:51 »

Quite possibly the case, but it's well documented that incidents of homophobia, racism etc are on the rise again in football, as in wider society, so it may be coincidence that we had an outbreak or not.  What we don't want to see is this sort of thing coming back....  the hooliganism of the 70's was a major factor in STFC shelling so many fans 
Completely agree. But none of these things put 5000 on the gate on Saturday
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:36:50 »

TBF it does occur to me that actually as Tails observed much of the excitement around the game was generated on social media. There was plenty of coverage in local press and on radio as well, but as Tails says a lot of the "cannot miss this game" stuff was on social. If you deliberately avoid such platforms, you may not have seen any of that, so may not be aware of what a good job the club are doing with that. But Brexit???

Hence a combination of factors as I observed as you agreed....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:42:03 »

Completely agree. But none of these things put 5000 on the gate on Saturday

Nor will it be the case that if we get 7500 v Scunny, the missing 3500 will have been put off by trouble.  It will be again a combination of factors... including those for whom the potential for trouble isn't high enough.
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:42:40 »

The answer is the same as it’s always been. Increased away support and booze. Brexit has fuck all to do with it - how could it?

SN1 is the new Paris?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:44:48 »

So why was there still trouble at football before Brexit? Apart from, perhaps, yourself I doubt any fans attending on Saturday had Brexit at the forefront of their minds.

When, if ever, have Exeter ever brought 2000 fans to the CG?

Before we joined the EU maybe? Cheesy
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:47:26 »

Nor will it be the case that if we get 7500 v Scunny, the missing 3500 will have been put off by trouble.  It will be again a combination of factors... including those for whom the potential for trouble isn't high enough.
Who number possibly in the dozens, if that, certainly not in the 000s. It's pretty much irrelevant as a factor in a discussion as to why we put 5000+ on the gate on Saturday. You've made a bit of a silly point and you're making yourself look sillier by trying to stand by it
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:52:13 »

Who number possibly in the dozens, if that, certainly not in the 000s. It's pretty much irrelevant as a factor in a discussion as to why we put 5000+ on the gate on Saturday. You've made a bit of a silly point and you're making yourself look sillier by trying to stand by it

Let me see if I've got this  Hmmm a factor which increases numbers,  is to be disregarded because it doesn't increase numbers, even though it does.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:57:22 »

Seems pretty obvious to me why the gate was up - it was 1st v 2nd and the prodigal son(s) had returned. Everything was positive and there was a sense of excitement not witnessed for many years.

You'd hope that 500-1000 of those who don't regularly attend games will be hooked again, and I'd hope to see at least 8000 home fans for the Scunny game.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 12:06:51 »

Happy to engage in a debate, less so with someone who consistently posts conjecture as fact, constantly moves the goalposts when picked up on it (and cries bullying when called out) and it appears is desperate for the club to fail. Hence why I also choose not to debate with that Cheltenham supporting bloke on Facebook.

More bullshit... a classic example of your attempt at debate, when I posted up about the sale of the youth teamer. Now to me this was an interesting development that some might want to know about and debate.... your response, to those who did engage.... don't encourage him.

It has still not been confirmed who the player was or the fee we got for him so possibly consign this thread to the BS bin?

Now the post was put in Lounge as was stated about the need for care as the info was not yet official. The debate which ensued enabled interested posters to pad out the suject with what they knew.... exactly the sort of thing that is wanted.

Not conjecture, fact, as far as it could go at the time... trying to shut this sort of thing down or encouraging others not to participate isn't particularly debate as I understand it or wish to partake in.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 12:14:10 »

Not conjecture, fact, as far as it could go at the time... trying to shut this sort of thing down or encouraging others not to participate isn't particularly debate as I understand it or wish to partake in.

Fingers crossed eh.

Flashheart

« Reply #310 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 12:15:56 »

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 12:31:05 »

Let me see if I've got this  Hmmm a factor which increases numbers,  is to be disregarded because it doesn't increase numbers, even though it does.
No, a factor which may or may not have any affect on numbers, but even if it does is insignificant, to be regarded as not being significant because it isn't. Hope that aids your understanding.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 12:36:35 »

Anyway, was there actually any ‘old skool’ trouble? Looked like some posturing in The Merlin and some pavement dancing on Manchester Road.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 12:38:58 »

The crowd was a very unique event - we've struggled to get such crowds even with success in higher divisions in the past, outside of the last game or two, or massive away followings/Prem league.

Very impressive work by the club to build a sense of rarity.

It can't have been Brexit, my mum isn't gong until the Grimsby game.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 12:40:11 »

I was thinking about the fantastic attendance on Saturday and I still can’t really put my finger on why it was so huge.

We had similar games against promotion rivals recently - Crewe, Bradford (were at the time) - and there were circa 7000 home fans.

Surely, it can’t have been just about the Doyle hoo-ha. Adding 4000 fans is virtually unprecedented for a league game (for us) that wasn’t an actual promotion or championship decider.

I still find it kinda weird.
That all ended up in a bit of a shitfight.  Good question, mind.

Speaking personally, I usually manage 1 or 2 games a month and after Bradford and Port Vale and a social commitment for Saturday. I was not planning on going.  When it became evident that there was not going to be just 10,000 but a potential home sell out, I just welched on my family and HAD TO BE THERE.  Fear of Missing Out, aka FOMO.

Fair play to Exeter as their early claim on the Stratton Bank raised the 1st v 2nd ante, then the feelgood factor of the signings (especially Doyle's) took it up a further notch.

Not Brexit but I guess some Old Skoolers saw an opportunity this time but it's worth remembering that, when anticipated,  their participation has tended to REDUCE attendances (eg the low crowds for visits by the Pox).
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 12:43:12 by RedRag » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: