Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Richie Wellens.. so far.  (Read 99986 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:59:14 »

What a cheerful and positive post......

I'm uncertain as to why you choose to post such stuff rather than engage in what could be interesting debate.  Wellens is already the 36th longest serving mnanager in the 92, at a year and couple of months in the job.  In Div 4 there are 3 at just over 3 years... McGreal, Cooper and Artell.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:01:12 »

I was thinking about the fantastic attendance on Saturday and I still can’t really put my finger on why it was so huge.

We had similar games against promotion rivals recently - Crewe, Bradford (were at the time) - and there were circa 7000 home fans.

Surely, it can’t have been just about the Doyle hoo-ha. Adding 4000 fans is virtually unprecedented for a league game (for us) that wasn’t an actual promotion or championship decider.

I still find it kinda weird.
Combination of lots of "feelgood" factors, obviously Doyle and Yates being prominent among that, some excitement about the team for the first time in a long while and don't underestimate the very good job the club did of capitalising on that to amplify the excitement around this particular game. Made a lot of people want to come and see what the excitement was all about. Club have played a blinder with this IMO
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:02:56 »

I was thinking about the fantastic attendance on Saturday and I still can’t really put my finger on why it was so huge.

We had similar games against promotion rivals recently - Crewe, Bradford (were at the time) - and there were circa 7000 home fans.

Surely, it can’t have been just about the Doyle hoo-ha. Adding 4000 fans is virtually unprecedented for a league game (for us) that wasn’t an actual promotion or championship decider.

There were quite a lot of old skool types who came out of the woodwork, perhaps on the back of the Brexit thing. Certainly never seen any trouble v Exeter before.   Most likely a combination of factors.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:04:08 »

There were quite a lot of old skool types who came out of the woodwork, perhaps on the back of the Brexit thing.
WTF? Is there any excuse you won't use to avoid giving the club credit for doing a good job of getting fans back in?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:05:15 »

I think the excitement swept accross social media constantly (fueled by the club) and it just encouraged more and more people. It became a "must not miss" game because EVERYONE was getting a ticket.

Scunny will be 7-8k
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:06:30 »

WTF? Is there any excuse you won't use to avoid giving the club credit for doing a good job of getting fans back in?

Is there any reason why you always have a personal dig rather than engaing in debate.... out of interest why do you think there was some old skool trouble on Sat  Hmmm
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:11:38 »

There were quite a lot of old skool types who came out of the woodwork, perhaps on the back of the Brexit thing. Certainly never seen any trouble v Exeter before.   Most likely a combination of factors.
The answer is the same as it’s always been. Increased away support and booze. Brexit has fuck all to do with it - how could it?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:13:47 »

Is there any reason why you always have a personal dig rather than engaing in debate.... out of interest why do you think there was some old skool trouble on Sat  Hmmm
Not a personal dig at all. Faced with two possible propositions for why the crowd has suddenly leapt from 7-8k to 13k, you dismiss the idea that the club might have done a really good job of capitalising on the excitement around a team doing well, good transfer window etc with a really good markering push, esp on social media as Tails observed. Instead you posited possibly the most bizarre example of "blame everything on Brexit" I've seen to date. It's not a dig, it's an observation - you seem to go out of your way to deny any possibility that the club may just be doing a good job of engaging with fans. It's just bizarre
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:16:26 »

The answer is the same as it’s always been. Increased away support and booze. Brexit has fuck all to do with it - how could it?

Friday night there were some muted Brexit celebrations in Swindon, a Brexit voting town.... Brexit is seen by right wingers as a victory, there has long been a tradition of the right trying to use football as a recruiting ground....
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:19:22 »

Friday night there were some muted Brexit celebrations in Swindon, a Brexit voting town.... Brexit is seen by right wingers as a victory, there has long been a tradition of the right trying to use football as a recruiting ground....
So why was there still trouble at football before Brexit? Apart from, perhaps, yourself I doubt any fans attending on Saturday had Brexit at the forefront of their minds.

When, if ever, have Exeter ever brought 2000 fans to the CG?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:21:03 »

Not a personal dig at all. Faced with two possible propositions for why the crowd has suddenly leapt from 7-8k to 13k, you dismiss the idea that the club might have done a really good job of capitalising on the excitement around a team doing well, good transfer window etc with a really good markering push, esp on social media as Tails observed. Instead you posited possibly the most bizarre example of "blame everything on Brexit" I've seen to date. It's not a dig, it's an observation - you seem to go out of your way to deny any possibility that the club may just be doing a good job of engaging with fans. It's just bizarre

Bull shit...  I say it's a combination of factors as you did.  And observed that one factor may have been to do with the trouble witnessed.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:22:21 »

A list of every other "Brexit voting town" who played at home on Saturday and witnessed a sharp upturn in home support on the day would be welcome.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:25:32 »

I'm uncertain as to why you choose to post such stuff rather than engage in what could be interesting debate.  

Happy to engage in a debate, less so with someone who consistently posts conjecture as fact, constantly moves the goalposts when picked up on it (and cries bullying when called out) and it appears is desperate for the club to fail. Hence why I also choose not to debate with that Cheltenham supporting bloke on Facebook.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:26:31 »

So why was there still trouble at football before Brexit? Apart from, perhaps, yourself I doubt any fans attending on Saturday had Brexit at the forefront of their minds.

When, if ever, have Exeter ever brought 2000 fans to the CG?

Quite possibly the case, but it's well documented that incidents of homophobia, racism etc are on the rise again in football, as in wider society, so it may be coincidence that we had an outbreak or not.  What we don't want to see is this sort of thing coming back....  the hooliganism of the 70's was a major factor in STFC shelling so many fans 
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 11:27:16 »

Bull shit...  I say it's a combination of factors as you did.  And observed that one factor may have been to do with the trouble witnessed.
TBF it does occur to me that actually as Tails observed much of the excitement around the game was generated on social media. There was plenty of coverage in local press and on radio as well, but as Tails says a lot of the "cannot miss this game" stuff was on social. If you deliberately avoid such platforms, you may not have seen any of that, so may not be aware of what a good job the club are doing with that. But Brexit???
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: