Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tranmere v Swindon pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 52809 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 09:15:01 »

Leroy was real?
what about riddle?

Yep he was as well. They were a sight to behold for sure.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 09:16:55 »

I would say petswinsprizes would have probably seen them around. But as pets hangs around dulwich hamlet in pink hotpants these days it's doubtful.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #362 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 09:18:17 »

Ah the old days, songs about Adi Ellsworth, Stabber and Ollie too. All quite mental Smiley

Which reminded me of the old "dinklle song" we used to sing.

My memory fades me a little with age but some of the bits I remember....

Swindon boys gonna sing you a song
We all got dinkles 1 foot long
We're the boys who love a fight
Especially in Oxford on a Saturday night

Adi Elsworth laying in the bath
Playing with his dinkle having a larf
Gave a cry and shot his load
He almost burst the overflow

There was Ollie laying in his bed
Playing with his dinkle the ends all red
We all see the size of Ollies dong
It was 2 feet wide and 6 feet long

Stabber lets his dinkle dangle
Got it caught in a kitchen mangle
its almost the same as Ollies dong
Except its six feet wide and 2 foot long

Oxford girls keep their legs shut tight
But they open to the boys in the red and white
We know their used to a smaller size
So the Oxford girls get a big surprise

there were at least another 3 verses but I cannot remember them now, summut about trouble in the townend etc and policemen....

Something like Trouble in the Town End here we go
Along comes constable 710
etc
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 09:20:20 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 09:35:21 »

I would say petswinsprizes would have probably seen them around. But as pets hangs around dulwich hamlet in pink hotpants these days it's doubtful.

Ah so that's who Pets was/is? I guess it makes sense given his penchant for dugs.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 10:02:40 »

Back kind of on thread I was thinking about having Alioki at LB instead of Taylor should make us much more dangerous going forward.

Alioki looks like the kind of LB that likes to get to the byline and has a dangerous cross on him. Taylor is too slow to do this and tends to cross into the box from around the arc of the D, which is always going to be less fruitful. If we can get Alioki and Knoyle to provide ammunition in this way, I can see Richards going on a bit of a run.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #365 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 10:09:40 »

Back kind of on thread I was thinking about having Alioki at LB instead of Taylor should make us much more dangerous going forward.

Alioki looks like the kind of LB that likes to get to the byline and has a dangerous cross on him. Taylor is too slow to do this and tends to cross into the box from around the arc of the D, which is always going to be less fruitful. If we can get Alioki and Knoyle to provide ammunition in this way, I can see Richards going on a bit of a run.
Ali Koiki looks very handy going forwards a bit more suspect defending but hes young and that was his league debut. He has pace and skill and can cross a ball, his cross for Richards was better than anything Taylor has put in the box all season.

If we know his limitations then we can work around them, Broadbent being left footed obviously will learn to cover for him when he attacks, whereas Taylor could never hope to get back with his pace I think Koiki will get back faster when he loses possession.

Richard will always attack the near post as he has done in every game, its just the deliveries to him so far this season have been shocking, I think that will change a lot with Koiki and he could end up with a fair few assists.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 10:21:02 »

Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 10:50:43 »

Ali Koiki looks very handy going forwards a bit more suspect defending but hes young and that was his league debut. He has pace and skill and can cross a ball, his cross for Richards was better than anything Taylor has put in the box all season.

If we know his limitations then we can work around them, Broadbent being left footed obviously will learn to cover for him when he attacks, whereas Taylor could never hope to get back with his pace I think Koiki will get back faster when he loses possession.

Richard will always attack the near post as he has done in every game, its just the deliveries to him so far this season have been shocking, I think that will change a lot with Koiki and he could end up with a fair few assists.

Taylor's ball in v Notts which matey sliced into his OG, was a pivotal moment this season..... at the time we were on a horrible run, in which the Notts game gave us one win in 9.... 7 of those games we failed to score. The only other goal was a Taylor free kick v Cobblers.   Notts after a little bounce under Kewell were starting to struggle again, so a a defeat would have been damaging... I suppose you could argue it might have hastened PB out the door.  It was then that Kewell said if you stop Taylor, you stop Swindon.   By which he meant we're over reliant on him.... Ali having te advantage on Sat of being something of an unknown quantity to Tranny will now have sides looking at his abilities and adjusting accordingly, so it gets more difficult, if he's really good it'll make no differnce.

Kyle Knoyle has his fan club on here, but the other day I said I can't think of too many assists from him this season, now I could be doing him a disservice as I'm just running our goals through the skull cinema.... but do think he needs to step up in that area, if he's to become a really effective FB.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #368 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 10:58:24 »

Kyle Knoyle has his fan club on here, but the other day I said I can't think of too many assists from him this season, now I could be doing him a disservice as I'm just running our goals through the skull cinema.... but do think he needs to step up in that area, if he's to become a really effective FB.
It may be a little too early for teams to be thinking about Koiki getting into good positions to cross but the lad has the skills and ability to put a good ball into the right places and did so 4 or 5 times on Saturday.

I like Knoyle, he gets past his man and puts a lot of balls into dangerous positions or wins us a lot of corners.

Its not Knoyles fault that we don't have a striker that can get on the end of those decent crosses as more often than not it was inches from Richards or Bayo who neither would attack the ball, Bayo down to his incosntancy in the box and Richards possibly because he wasnt at a fitness level to allow him to attack it as he used to do.

Either way I think Knoyle, especially in away games, has got some excellent crosses in the box, and as I said won us a fair few corners in the process too but its also not his fault that so far this season (barring maybe 1 or 2 times) our corners have been attrocious but its nice to see Wellens has changed that all round a bit now and we have started to at least mix them up a bit.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 11:10:14 »

The rampaging overlapping full back is a dying breed these days which is a shame, but Koiki looks as if he could fit the bill.

Knoyle gets forward well but the quality of cross could be improved.
He also passes inside too much. (BOO was guilty of this as well).

Young players coming out of PL academies have to unlearn a lot of the shit that they are taught when it comes to surviving in L1 & L2.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 11:50:30 »

The rampaging overlapping full back is a dying breed these days which is a shame, but Koiki looks as if he could fit the bill.

Knoyle gets forward well but the quality of cross could be improved.
He also passes inside too much. (BOO was guilty of this as well).

Young players coming out of PL academies have to unlearn a lot of the shit that they are taught when it comes to surviving in L1 & L2.
Agree with that totally,  youngsters will need time to adjust,  its a different game in the lower leagues, probably needing at least 3-4 games to gel. Must admit I like what I have seen so far and look forward to our charge into the top three as the season progresses.  Looks like Wellens wasn't such a bad appointment after all.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 12:45:20 »

Must admit I like what I have seen so far and look forward to our charge into the top three as the season progresses.  Looks like Wellens wasn't such a bad appointment after all.

He's certainly done OK and restored a bit of respectability, but let's not get carried away.  We're still 10 points off the same stage last season when most on here thought Flitcroft was a disaster, despite being a point off auto and 2 off second.

However we are 2 points better off now than at the same stage in 83/84, when we achieved our lowest post 1958 finish in Div 4.

That's the kind of background to view where we are. We need to take small steps, as the club is more or less broken, so will take a while to put back together again.  The next step is to restore some order to the home form, Flitcroft had started to address this with 5 wins in a row when he bailed... Wellens now needs something similar to show the recent improvement has real substance.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 13:01:19 »

First things first, how does Knoyle cope defending?  I can't think of many games where we have looked exposed down his flank.  He sometimes loses a runner behind him, but generally recovers well due to pace I guess.  Not often utterly out of position though.

Going forward he looks good, he can beat his man, and he doesn't lose possession too often, I think this is where Venks describes the balls back inside.  I actually think that is a good trait, he won't just run a blind alley.  However, his crossing is the area he can improve.  Not that his crossing is bad mind you, it's just the wrong type of ball for the players we have today.  His crossing would suit a Peter Thorne down to the ground, he tends to stand it up.  Richards' threat is what we saw at the weekend, whipped in balls between backline and keeper.  He won't get to as many as he used to, but that is where the threat is with our team.
REDBUCK

« Reply #373 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 13:06:19 »

Lets not get carried away, well

The club is more or less broken   
Knoyle needs to play more like Caddis / Summerbee to be any good.

Good start
Peter Venkman

« Reply #374 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 13:11:12 »

First things first, how does Knoyle cope defending?  I can't think of many games where we have looked exposed down his flank.  He sometimes loses a runner behind him, but generally recovers well due to pace I guess.  Not often utterly out of position though.

Going forward he looks good, he can beat his man, and he doesn't lose possession too often, I think this is where Venks describes the balls back inside.  I actually think that is a good trait, he won't just run a blind alley.  However, his crossing is the area he can improve.  Not that his crossing is bad mind you, it's just the wrong type of ball for the players we have today.  His crossing would suit a Peter Thorne down to the ground, he tends to stand it up.  Richards' threat is what we saw at the weekend, whipped in balls between backline and keeper.  He won't get to as many as he used to, but that is where the threat is with our team.
Yeah thats it pretty much Rob.

We need a centre forward in the Thorne, Chief, Parkin, Akinfenwa mold who will leap up high and head those crosses goalwards, or knock them down for other players.

Richards is a decent pro but thats not and never has been his game, House? well maybe it could be but hes currently only 18 mins into a Town career but I guess Wellens brought him in to play the target man role which Bayo also was nowhere near.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: