Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tranmere v Swindon pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 53105 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 15:33:54 »

Go back to the opener v Bradford after the PO defeat... we had the rebuilt side, with the Liverpool lads, Stewart. Williams and Vigs, but still had a few of the successful side around like Nathan Byrne.... we stuffed them 4-1 Byrne got a hat-trick.  Byrne then became the next to go and it's been a struggle since.

Also that pre-season we played Liverpool and other Premier league sides (Swansea?) in pre-season and things generally seemed to be quite positive fan wise. As you say, its been a struggle since then.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
REDBUCK

« Reply #346 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 18:57:51 »

Having looked at the results from that season the scores are frankly ridiculous.

4-1, 0-6, 4-2, 4-3 1-5, 1-4, 4-0,3-0
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 19:49:10 »

Having looked at the results from that season the scores are frankly ridiculous.

4-1, 0-6, 4-2, 4-3 1-5, 1-4, 4-0,3-0

There were a couple of seasons in the mid 60's in Div 3, where we'd have little runs of destroying sides,....

19 OCT    York City (Home)    6 - 0    Brown, Lawton, Trollope (pen), Rogers 3    
23 OCT    Peterborough United (Home)    3 - 0    Rogers, Brown, Smart    
30 OCT    Exeter City (Away)    1 - 1    Lawton    
6 NOV    Reading (Home)    5 - 0    Lawton, Rogers 3, Brown    
20 NOV    Mansfield Town (Home)    6 - 2    East 5, Rogers

to be followed by....

30 APR    Brighton and Hove Albion (Away)    0 - 1
3 MAY    Workington (Home)    0 - 1           
7 MAY    Scunthorpe United (Home)    0 - 0
10 MAY    Grimsby Town (Home)    0 - 0

or

22 OCT     Swansea Town (Home)    4 - 0    Rogers, Nurse, Brown, Walker    
29 OCT    Bournemouth & Boscombe Ath. (Away)    4 - 1    Brown 4    
5 NOV    Orient (Home)    5 - 1    Walker, Brown, Penman, Trollope, Rogers    
12 NOV    Gillingham (Away)    0 - 1    -    
19 NOV    Workington (Home)    3 - 0    Brown 2, Penman    
3 DEC    Oldham Athletic (Home)    6 - 3    Brown 2, Rogers 3, Walker

to be followed by

14 JAN    Watford (Away)    0 - 2    
21 JAN    Bristol Rovers (Home)    0 - 1        
4 FEB    Reading (Home)    0 - 1        
11 FEB    Doncaster Rovers (Away)    0 - 1

Think I was at just about all those games, apart from Donny away and the inconsistency did your head in, but eventually Danny Williams found the secret, well apart from how to win at Priestfield, which only Lou Macari has managed in living memory
« Last Edit: Monday, January 21, 2019, 19:51:01 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 19:55:35 »

Yay I have a claim to fame seeing us win in Kent. I haven't been there since. I think i'd better next time we play them.

I did have pre bought tickets for the 0-5 drubbing a few years back. But got really monged up the night before and didn't wake up until 2pm
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 19:56:46 »

Yay I have a claim to fame seeing us win in Kent. I haven't been there since. I think i'd better next time we play them.

I did have pre bought tickets for the 0-5 drubbing a few years back. But got really monged up the night before and didn't wake up until 2pm

There's not many who can claim that...  Smiley
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 19:59:00 »

There's not many who can claim that...  Smiley

We did have a fair few there to be fair, couldn't guess at how many as I spent at least 3 hours in the pub before hand with a load of gills fans which was entertaining.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 20:07:20 »

Not the famous ‘Saga Tours’ day out?
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 20:10:58 »

For some reason Ralphys' excursion to East Midlands airport popped into my head

I come from a land down-under
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 20:26:43 »

For some reason Ralphys' excursion to East Midlands airport popped into my head

I recently met a well maintained lady in her 50's in the pub.... an interesting conversation ensued in which she claimed psychic abilities.  So I challenged her to see if she could get anything I was thinking   Wink  anyway, she says I'm getting you know someone called Ralph  Shocked.  Fuck me thinks I. 

Been a while since the halcyon days of the Ralphy forum... over 10 years I guess, and besides it was DV who seemed a bit obsessed, so I called bullshit.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #354 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 20:29:00 »

We did have a fair few there to be fair, couldn't guess at how many as I spent at least 3 hours in the pub before hand with a load of gills fans which was entertaining.
I was at the Gills game the day after Boxing Day in 86/87, actually it was a really good turn out by Town fans about 2,000 there IIRC. The old bill were collecting sticks of celery from Town fans outside the entrance and inside the Gills fans were throwing loads of bricks and coins at us.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 21:55:34 »

I was at the Gills game the day after Boxing Day in 86/87, actually it was a really good turn out by Town fans about 2,000 there IIRC. The old bill were collecting sticks of celery from Town fans outside the entrance and inside the Gills fans were throwing loads of bricks and coins at us.

Yep that sounds familiar. My fav story about the Jills away was one of leroys on MOS when he hid his beers under a traffic cone to collect on the way back to the station. I fully beleive it after seeing him in action a few times.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 22:01:37 »

Leroy was real?
what about riddle?
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 22:11:51 »

Yep that sounds familiar. My fav story about the Jills away was one of leroys on MOS when he hid his beers under a traffic cone to collect on the way back to the station. I fully beleive it after seeing him in action a few times.
I do miss the debates about firesticks.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 07:07:38 »

Exactly.

Look at Arsenal in the 90s under George Graham, rarely did they win by more than a single goal hence the song 1-0 to the Arsenal.

Result first and foremost, entertainment 2nd.

Right, but we aren’t very good at getting the result either, and we certainly don’t make a habit of 1-0s. 13 wins in 37 L2 home games. However it’s dressed up, it needs to improve drastically over the next 4 months if we are to put a late challenge in.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #359 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 09:07:42 »

Right, but we aren’t very good at getting the result either, and we certainly don’t make a habit of 1-0s. 13 wins in 37 L2 home games. However it’s dressed up, it needs to improve drastically over the next 4 months if we are to put a late challenge in.
Indeed, we badly need to improve home form to get anywhere.

When I started watching Town in the early to mid 70s an away win was a rarity, only 3 or 4 a season but won way more than half the home games, it seems to be the polar oppiste of late.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: