Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tranmere v Swindon pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 53057 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 13:28:37 »

Yes, and I suppose another way of looking at it would be to say we've won 2 of the 37 L2 home games by more than 1 goal.

It could be.....

I guess as a gaffer you don't really care if you win by a goal or 2 goals as long as you win.... it's just us poor buggers watching would enjoy the odd game where we can relax.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #331 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 13:40:14 »

I guess as a gaffer you don't really care if you win by a goal or 2 goals as long as you win.... it's just us poor buggers watching would enjoy the odd game where we can relax.
Exactly.

Look at Arsenal in the 90s under George Graham, rarely did they win by more than a single goal hence the song 1-0 to the Arsenal.

Result first and foremost, entertainment 2nd.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #332 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 14:17:32 »

Whatever the stats say we have been utter gash at home for 3 + seasons now.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 14:32:48 »

Totally agree. Quite looking forward to Saturday in a strange way. I have a nagging feeling that we may just have turned a bit of a corner.

Cue 0-2 and more hysteria.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 14:41:00 »

That really hit home after the Lincoln game. Went home with a bit of a buzz and it felt odd, the new norm I think being a mix of indifference, bemusement and frustration.

Its not me, its them,
Peter Venkman

« Reply #335 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 14:50:12 »

Totally agree. Quite looking forward to Saturday in a strange way. I have a nagging feeling that we may just have turned a bit of a corner.
I think that since Port Vale away we have been a far harder team to beat than ever under Flipflop or Brown, a lot of our fans don't appreciate that we have suffered only 1 home and 1 away defeat since the 17th November, a run of 2 defeats in 11 games.

Lincoln by comparison in the last 11 games 
DDWWWWLWDDW 6w 4d 1l

Our last 11 games are
WWWLDDDLWDW 5w 4d 2l

Thats not much difference in form yet a lot of our fans seem to have given up any chance of a play off spot even though our form is almost the same as the team in top spot.

Cue 0-2 and more hysteria.
The FB group...

@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 14:53:06 »

TBF the FB group will react that way if we win
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 14:57:51 »

PV I'll admit I didn't realise it was that few defeats and only losing 3 points on Lincoln in that time.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #338 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 15:03:23 »

PV I'll admit I didn't realise it was that few defeats and only losing 3 points on Lincoln in that time.
Neither did I until I checked, obviously league games only in that but its actually far better than some fans are giving Wellens credit for.

wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 15:10:20 »

Exactly.

Look at Arsenal in the 90s under George Graham, rarely did they win by more than a single goal hence the song 1-0 to the Arsenal.

About that time I went to Highbury and Arsenal scored 3 goals (I think) and the crowd started singing "We're scoring goals again" to the tune of "Those were the days my friend".
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 15:10:36 »

Had we just picked the Imps off the stats between them and us would be;

Lincoln W6 D3 L2 = 21pts
Town   W6 D3 L2 = 21pts

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 15:11:41 »

I think that since Port Vale away we have been a far harder team to beat than ever under Flipflop or Brown, a lot of our fans don't appreciate that we have suffered only 1 home and 1 away defeat since the 17th November, a run of 2 defeats in 11 games.

Lincoln by comparison in the last 11 games 
DDWWWWLWDDW 6w 4d 1l

Our last 11 games are
WWWLDDDLWDW 5w 4d 2l

Thats not much difference in form yet a lot of our fans seem to have given up any chance of a play off spot even though our form is almost the same as the team in top spot.
The FB group...

It's very difficult and unusual to maintain top form throughout a season.... and even more difficult to mount a late run to get autos, a more reliable template is to get a good chunk of points on the board in the first half/two thirds of the season then tick over later on when it becomes more difficult. Which is pretty much what Lincoln are doing, whereas Franchise got to the top earlyish December , but have one win in the last 6, and dropped out of the autos.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 15:21:55 »

Go back to the opener v Bradford after the PO defeat... we had the rebuilt side, with the Liverpool lads, Stewart. Williams and Vigs, but still had a few of the successful side around like Nathan Byrne.... we stuffed them 4-1 Byrne got a hat-trick.  Byrne then became the next to go and it's been a struggle since.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 15:25:30 »

Exactly.

I always liked the fact, that then method employed by Howe and Graham to get the defensive solidity, was to tie a rope between Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn, so that they got used to moving together as a unit... then sticking the arm up for an offside.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #344 on: Monday, January 21, 2019, 15:33:15 »

I always liked the fact, that then method employed by Howe and Graham to get the defensive solidity, was to tie a rope between Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn, so that they got used to moving together as a unit... then sticking the arm up for an offside.
They were the epitomy of a defensive unit with Seaman sat behind them, strangely though it didn't work so well at England level with the same back 5.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: