Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: On this day 1991  (Read 4883 times)
sir windon

Ignore
« on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 08:19:13 »

One of the happiest days ever.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=Video&MatchID=19910126
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 08:31:08 »

I was there. Couldn't get a ticket for the away end, so 4 of us were in the home and. Managed to stay quiet at first, but by the end of the game we'd been rumbled as Town fans. Probably due to jumping around like loons as each goal went in...

It's All Good..............
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 08:37:48 »

At least you got out quickly herthab, we were locked in until 5.45pm.  Smiley
Five of us went into a home pub near the ground before the game, I think we were rumbled when I asked if anyone knew where the bogs were. One of my mates facepalmed and rolled his eyes in unison.  Grin
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 08:40:05 by 4D » Logged
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 09:38:20 »

Was living and working in slave trade central when this game was on. Didn't realise it was all ticket for town so had to sit in the home end. I remember the sponsors of the game were town and incredibly pissed. City fans were trying to get to them. There were a lot of town fans around me. As every goal went in a few took slaps. As the 4th went in I got on my feet and gave it some, a gorilla in front of me pushed me out the way and smacked the bloke behind me. Don't know if he was town or not but wasn't going to argue. The fact chalkie got 2 of the goals wound up city even more.
As luck would have it we had a casual wear day at work the following Friday and my town shirt did not go down well. I remember taking a lot of stick but the number 4 is very easy to make with your fingers.
All in all one of my favourite ever town games.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 09:55:37 »

Was living and working in slave trade central when this game was on. Didn't realise it was all ticket for town so had to sit in the home end. I remember the sponsors of the game were town and incredibly pissed. City fans were trying to get to them. There were a lot of town fans around me. As every goal went in a few took slaps. As the 4th went in I got on my feet and gave it some, a gorilla in front of me pushed me out the way and smacked the bloke behind me. Don't know if he was town or not but wasn't going to argue. The fact chalkie got 2 of the goals wound up city even more.
As luck would have it we had a casual wear day at work the following Friday and my town shirt did not go down well. I remember taking a lot of stick but the number 4 is very easy to make with your fingers.
All in all one of my favourite ever town games.
Sounds like we got off lightly. Apart from being called a cunt and the usual threats we didn't get any trouble. It might have helped that we were on the aisle, quite close to stewards, but I prefer to think they didn't want to mess with someone as butch and macho as I obviously am....

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 10:06:48 »

I was at that one and thought I was going to have to go in the home end as well but managed to find a corrupt turnstile operator at the away end who let me jump over for a tenner (a lot of money in those days!)

Worth it though. Took a while for us to get into it but what a game it turned out to be.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 10:12:19 »

Sounds like we got off lightly. Apart from being called a cunt and the usual threats we didn't get any trouble. It might have helped that we were on the aisle, quite close to stewards, but I prefer to think they didn't want to mess with someone as butch and macho as I obviously am....
I was in the quieter stand with my wife. I remember a biggish group of town fans behind me were friends of the players and they gave as good as they got. Nobody got a serious kicking just the odd punch. If I was offered a 4 0 victory and a punch I'd have taken it, lucky I didn't have to.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 10:17:19 »

It was indeed a great afternoon, I stewarded that game as Shitty couldn't cope with the away following so we took 30 of our own stewards.

A stunning away perfomance from Town, not the best but top 10 since I have been watching us in 45 years.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 10:19:19 »

It was indeed a great afternoon, I stewarded that game as Shitty couldn't cope with the away following so we took 30 of our own stewards.

A stunning away perfomance from Town, not the best but top 10 since I have been watching us in 45 years.
Yep, definitely not the best but the opposition make it one of my favourites!

REDBUCK

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 10:26:28 »

Go on then what's your top Ten fooy wise.

Sunderland Wembley
City 4-0
Birmingham 6-4

Top three to start with for me.

Kettering 7-0 complete with bloke falling from stand
Rovers 4-1 1985 - I got a thump for my troubles.
Leeds 2-2 league Cup despite result.
Gillingham 2-0 play off at Selhirst
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 11:30:25 by REDBUCK » Logged
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 10:30:23 »

I would have all of those in my top 10 and would add...
Town 2 Newcastle 1
Sunderland 0 Town 1

Both from the 92/93 season. Will have a think about the others.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 10:48:20 »

Go on then what's your top Ten fooy wise.

Sunderland Wembley
City 4-0
Birmingham 6-4

Top three to start with for me.

Blimey so many great days out with Town.

For me its not always about the result but the Swindon following and being massive underdogs.

Top will always be away at Arsenal in 80 in the LC quarter final, amazing day.

Gillingham play off 87 at Palace.

Brum away in the 6-4 win.

Spurs defeat away in 80 in the FA cup amazing turn out by Swindon fans.

Mansfield away in 85 when we won the league.

Kettering away 7-0 in 84.

Shitty away 4-0 win in 91.

Blackburn away in the play off of 91.

Bristol Rovers in 95 4-1 win at Twerton, Bristol Rovers away in 85 4-1 at Eastville couldn't choose between the 2.

Thats off the top of my head, also the 6-1 defeat at Ipswich in 85 was an amazing day spoilt by the result.

Add in the 2 Wembley visits in the 90's they are up there with the Sunderland game just edging it for me.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 11:16:14 »

For me still reckon the SF replay v Burnley at WBA takes the biscuit.

1-2 just into Extra Time - tears.
3-2 at the end - cheers.

Just one reason why Peter Noble, who scored the winner, will always be a Town legend.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 12:17:53 »

Blimey. I might have been a bit braver that day if I'd known that so many other Town fans were in the home sections! I could hardly contain myself. I just remember enjoying joining in the moaning at how utterly shit "we" were. Happy days.  Grin

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 12:28:59 »

Speaking of great Town games of the past, I’d like to know if anyone here attended this one?!

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MediaPlayer/MediaPlayer.asp?ID=-l3eHztPiKo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: