Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OFFICIAL stfc v lincoln day early thread- get over it and predict/discuss  (Read 42639 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 20:58:37 »

I thought he spoke well for what it’s worth, admitted he’s frustrated but at no point did he come across as thinking he’s better or that he wants out.

That’s what I alluded to in my post.  He admitted in that interview that he needs to work on dealing with his frustrations better.  He didn’t do that today, even though he managed to score the two goals.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:02:09 »

Before the match I would have taken a draw in a heartbeat, but I actually felt quite deflated at the end.
Our total lack of width was painfully evident today and would have preferred to have seen Mcglashan to Twine as a sub. Richards offered very little all game and we desperately need a big man up top to do the dirty work, hopefully that can be House.

Lincoln were a horrible team and how their keeper didn’t get booked is beyond me, some of his time wasting was truly laughable. Although not as laughable as the first red card, if you are going to do something like that don’t do it when the ref is 10 yards away and looking straight at you.

On the plus side there were plenty of positives and with the right players I think we are still in with a shout of the play offs.

Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:12:30 »

Before the match I would have taken a draw in a heartbeat, but I actually felt quite deflated at the end.
Our total lack of width was painfully evident today and would have preferred to have seen Mcglashan to Twine as a sub. Richards offered very little all game and we desperately need a big man up top to do the dirty work, hopefully that can be House.

Lincoln were a horrible team and how their keeper didn’t get booked is beyond me, some of his time wasting was truly laughable. Although not as laughable as the first red card, if you are going to do something like that don’t do it when the ref is 10 yards away and looking straight at you.

On the plus side there were plenty of positives and with the right players I think we are still in with a shout of the play offs.

Agreed, I said at the time the game was crying out for Mcglashan.  His run for the goal last week was exactly what this game was crying out for.  Twine is not ready physically for this league yet, and certainly not in midfield.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Flashheart

« Reply #288 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:21:37 »

Wellens has offered a good explanation for this, and why he took Knoyle off who he said is the best 1v1 player at the club...

They (Lincoln) were already sitting back. There wasn't really anybody to beat in the sense. He chose to put Carrol there because he thought that, as a midfielder, Carroll would have picked out better choices for the situation. He may have been right.

McGlashan has pace, it's one of his best attributes, but pace is pointless against an opposition that is sitting back. There's nowhere to run to once 'beating' his man.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:28:24 »

Wellens has offered a good explanation for this, and why he took Knoyle off who he said is the best 1v1 player at the club...

They (Lincoln) were already sitting back. There wasn't really anybody to beat in the sense. He chose to put Carrol there because he thought that, as a midfielder, Carroll would have picked out better choices for the situation. He may have been right.

McGlashan has pace, it's one of his best attributes, but pace is pointless against an opposition that is sitting back. There's nowhere to run to once 'beating' his man.

Agree to a certain extent, however the penalty was won by just that, somebody running at their defence in their box.  They were prime for another penalty against them, their back line were knackered and could have easily made a tired lunge at somebody running at them with pace.  As it turned out we ended up passing it around their 18 yard box and hoping to draw somebody out, which wasn’t happening.  More runs into the box like Kesha would have disrupted them more IMO.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:29:15 »

I can see some logic in that but unless Lincoln were sat on their 6 yard box there will always been space in behind the full backs.

Get in behind and get the ball in the box where we should be able to out number them.

Plus the sitting back aside, you’re still better of having wingers on the touch lines to stretch the game & create bigger spaces between the full backs & centre backs
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:34:45 »

McGlashan would have at least got into the box to put crosses in or drawn some fouls around their box, Carroll just hugged the touch line most of the time playing passes to McCourt.
Flashheart

« Reply #292 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:36:11 »

Carrol played some very good crosses. At least one of which should have lead to a goal.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:40:21 »

He did, but you could see he wanted to pass it inside 80% of the time.

REDBUCK

« Reply #294 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:41:52 »

Having just read Doughty's quotes (I missed him on the radio), his comments appear to be in somewhat of a different context than was made out earlier.

That's because he's more intelligent than the person who reported the quotes.
REDBUCK

« Reply #295 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:44:37 »

That’s what I alluded to in my post.  He admitted in that interview that he needs to work on dealing with his frustrations better.  He didn’t do that today, even though he managed to score the two goals.

I thought he was actually better at it today than the previous games but still work to do.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:46:04 »

The only slight reason for thinking 7th might be doable, is that 7 of the 9 home games left look on paper possibly winnable, but against that the away fixtures look nasty... to get to 70 points which some seasons is enough we'd need to win something like 11 games, or maybe 10 and 3 draws, from the final 18.

Given we've taken 21 from the last 18, it would require an improvement in form , the like of which we've never really seen since the PO's started apart from Lou's final year where we were in 40 points from 28, but with a battle hardened side the core of which had 2 promos under its belt.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:48:01 »

I thought he was actually better at it today than the previous games but still work to do.

He was, but he definitely still wasn’t the Doughty we knew.  And running to the bench to make a point after the second was petulant to say the least.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:49:52 »

The only slight reason for thinking 7th might be doable, is that 7 of the 9 home games left look on paper possibly winnable, but against that the away fixtures look nasty... to get to 70 points which some seasons is enough we'd need to win something like 11 games, or maybe 10 and 3 draws, from the final 18.

Given we've taken 21 from the last 18, it would require an improvement in form , the like of which we've never really seen since the PO's started apart from Lou's final year where we were in 40 points from 28, but with a battle hardened side the core of which had 2 promos under its belt.

We have the 6th best record away and pathetically the 18th best at home.

Once again, our home form is our Achilles heel.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
REDBUCK

« Reply #299 on: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 21:50:19 »

Agree to a certain extent, however the penalty was won by just that, somebody running at their defence in their box.  They were prime for another penalty against them, their back line were knackered and could have easily made a tired lunge at somebody running at them with pace.  As it turned out we ended up passing it around their 18 yard box and hoping to draw somebody out, which wasn’t happening.  More runs into the box like Kesha would have disrupted them more IMO.

If only Anderson and Woolery were any good at it. Once a game isn't really good enough
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: