Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Macclesfield v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 35176 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 14:15:49 »

Football like our Government is corrupt to some degree, but in terms of the argument that some 3 points are worth more than others, I don't think the case is strong enough that the GLT was deliberately manipulated by Sky or other media provider.

Possibly, however we are only "shown" what we believe to be true. A CGI version of the event that happened. It actually creates more "live" drama than it does post-match drama (which of course the tv companies hate, they thrive on having pundits put the world to rights on a referees decision) to an extent. The irony of "moving the goalposts" here if GLT was/is manipulated in sporting events, would be ever present  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 16:20:20 »

Regard to football at the "highest level", with my opinion that most sports slide further towards dissociation of belonging and a more targeted entertainment service. It begs the rather long winded question;

With Liverpool in control and a two team battle for the title receding at the time, does it not question, considering the circumstances, that Liverpool did score "that" disallowed goal? Yet for the sake of entertainment purposes and to fit with Sky Sports (insert entertainment provider of choice) dramatic narrative, we see it disallowed. To keep the "title race" open?  Hmmm

We know there is corruption in sport and i'm not about to lay down a whole Premier League conspiracy but many often disregard corruption when the action is pointed towards our own backyard. Take UK Government for example. Many blindly believe our government do all things kosher and would never dream of manipulating the masses, stating we have a legal process and they'd be found out, etc. Our legal system isn't rigged with corruption either is it?

So where corruption is happening in big business, media, courts, government and financial institutions, why then can it not be possible to be happening at an elite level in our sports, and one that many of us love?

Fucking hell really? You are sounding like the deluded Liverpool fans, it didn't cross the line so there was nothing to give. It wasn't 'disallowed' as there was no goal to disallow.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 17:10:15 »

Possibly, however we are only "shown" what we believe to be true. A CGI version of the event that happened. It actually creates more "live" drama than it does post-match drama (which of course the tv companies hate, they thrive on having pundits put the world to rights on a referees decision) to an extent. The irony of "moving the goalposts" here if GLT was/is manipulated in sporting events, would be ever present  Hmmm
Yeah, red pill, man! Fake news, black helicopters, tinfoil hats ...
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 18:50:24 »

Chill out Theakston! The Liverpool game was only used as reference as Reg had mentioned it. I was just highlighting the ever more draw from sport being something that we all belong to, to something that is purely an entertainment project (especially at the top level). Of course we still feel connections with our "roots" or whatever our association may stand for but even at the "bottom up" level of sport we've seen our supporters "losing the faith/interest" that back in the day they'd have likely gone to every match possible without question.

Money, time, age etc are all factors but how expensive does live sport have to get before the "Man on the street" can no longer afford to go to even one match. It then becomes entertainment for those with privilege to only truly enjoy it. At heart lies the main point - will those that do have that privilege have the same level of connection that some of us have been lucky to have? Further, will they care for a connection or will they just see it as something to do? To say "I was there", referring to things like the FA Cup Final, Superbowl, Six Nations etc.  Matching half and half scarf with £20 programme to boot (I forget they're doing away with those).

Yes, yes PaulD I understand I'll be in for a lot of flack. Context as always  Wink How do they get those photographs of a probe in space with nothing attached to them?*

*I am aware that they are artistic impressions but there are very many strange people who use this to debunk the wonders of space exploration

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 10:34:46 »

I can still make no sense of that game.

Having seen Macclesfield in action twice, how Reg could ever have been worried is beyond me.  He could have a go up front for us and we'd still be ok, in fact, a few Czech females standing behind the goal and he might score more, and celebrate with a good hand shake.

So let's think about this  Hmmm

On Sat I'd have taken a point when their lad lined up the free kick in injury time, had the ref chosen to play no more time I'd have been happy with that, similarly when Michael Doughty's pen just about crept in at the CG for 2-2 in added on time, had that been the end, I'd have settled for that after a poor performance.

Clearly Macc aren't too great, but we're not a whole heap better.... just a bit.  Macc though is a small place, with a short FL history and a longer non league history, so it's kind of understandable. However a decent club and good luck to them, I'd like to see them stay up.

Yeovil are the outfit who seem most in danger atm, if either of Macc or Notts can do something and it would be a shame to lose them, as Huish Park has become a reasonable hunting ground where we take a few.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 10:41:19 »

So let's think about this  Hmmm

On Sat I'd have taken a point when their lad lined up the free kick in injury time, had the ref chosen to play no more time I'd have been happy with that, similarly when Michael Doughty's pen just about crept in at the CG for 2-2 in added on time, had that been the end, I'd have settled for that after a poor performance.

Clearly Macc aren't too great, but we're not a whole heap better.... just a bit.  Macc though is a small place, with a short FL history and a longer non league history, so it's kind of understandable. However a decent club and good luck to them, I'd like to see them stay up.

Yeovil are the outfit who seem most in danger atm, if either of Macc or Notts can do something and it would be a shame to lose them, as Huish Park has become a reasonable hunting ground where we take a few.

Agreed. A longer history than our own and the PA system works.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 11:00:53 »

Agreed. A longer history than our own and the PA system works.

They've been playing at Moss Rose since 1891, compared to our 1896 at the present CG footprint. 

If they go, it might mean we've got the oldest ground in Div 4 next season.... and Mansfield can fuck off, with their claims for Field Mill  Angry
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 11:12:58 »

The assist will go to House, but that was probably JMcG's best bit of work for us so far.
Did really well to stay on his feet and keep going.

No step overs, no diving, pure pace and a decent cross.

I'm not sure it really was McGlashan!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 11:16:51 »

No step overs, no diving, pure pace and a decent cross.

I'm not sure it really was McGlashan!

Closer inspection reveals that as the pitch was lumpy, a welcome bobble, counteracts the usual shank and lands the ball on House's head.  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: