Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Macclesfield v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 35171 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 01:11:05 »

I can still make no sense of that game.

Having seen Macclesfield in action twice, how Reg could ever have been worried is beyond me.  He could have a go up front for us and we'd still be ok, in fact, a few Czech females standing behind the goal and he might score more, and celebrate with a good hand shake.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 01:38:43 by RobertT » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 01:37:13 »

I have no idea what your point actually was in all of that?

Why is our result against Lincoln not the only thing that matters against Lincoln?
Are you suggesting you’d be happy with a defeat but a good / entertaining performance and that points don’t matter because Lincoln are above us?

The point is, were we much better than Macc?  No not really, a bit, and good to see it out at the end. In order to get the desired upward progression we need significant improvements.... how do we do that?  Seems two ways, work with what we've got and improve them or bin them off and try and repeat the procees of getting in some more kids and hoping for the best.

That's where we are, while this process plays out we need some points.... now it's axiomatic, that they're more likely to come v Macc  rather than Lincoln.

Simply, we're more likely to get points off the lesser lights.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 04:04:11 »

Does that go down as a McGlashan assist?

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 08:19:40 »

Great result.  Not too bothered about the performance.  At this level the margins are pretty fine and if we can string together a few results, regardless of how we do it, then we can get the confidence and momentum to make the POs from here.

All a good win means on this forum is that the moaners are simply replaced by people moaning about the moaners. 

Not that I'm moaning about moaning about moaners you understand.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 09:02:08 »

Meta moaning.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 09:34:46 »

The assist will go to House, but that was probably JMcG's best bit of work for us so far.
Did really well to stay on his feet and keep going.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 10:21:06 »

The assist will go to House, but that was probably JMcG's best bit of work for us so far.
Did really well to stay on his feet and keep going.
Wish he’d try to stay on his feet more often, I think he is capable of more of that. Goes down too easily usually.
Great result though.
I’ve grown from grudging admiration to total dislike of Lincoln and would love to see us do them over next week, you never know ?
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 11:00:32 »

They looked better in first 20, after that I thought we were relatively comfortable defensively. Their keeper had to make 3/4 really good saves.

Deserved the win, Carroll had a shocker for the most part but hope that was rustiness. At times there looked a player in there.

We have so much pace, we just need to use it correctly/effectively. The winner being the case in point. Great win
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 12:07:54 »

The point is, were we much better than Macc?  No not really, a bit, and good to see it out at the end. In order to get the desired upward progression we need significant improvements.... how do we do that?  Seems two ways, work with what we've got and improve them or bin them off and try and repeat the procees of getting in some more kids and hoping for the best.

That's where we are, while this process plays out we need some points.... now it's axiomatic, that they're more likely to come v Macc  rather than Lincoln.

Simply, we're more likely to get points off the lesser lights.

I understand there are games we are more likely to win, can’t argue with that.
Doesnt make any game worth any less & doesn’t make any result less important.
3pts is 3pts regardless of opposition & performance
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 12:28:15 »

I understand there are games we are more likely to win, can’t argue with that.
Doesnt make any game worth any less & doesn’t make any result less important.
3pts is 3pts regardless of opposition & performance

An example of how some games are more important than others happpened in the week in the Prem.  Had Liverpool won then the title was effectively their's.... they've still got a nice gap, but it's the psychological impact. Of course that is the bit that from the outside we can only guess at and where the best managers earn their corn.

It's also the guessing bit for us fans where the fun lies.  
Sir red ken

« Reply #175 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 13:25:09 »

An example of how some games are more important than others happpened in the week in the Prem.  Had Liverpool won then the title was effectively their's.... they've still got a nice gap, but it's the psychological impact. Of course that is the bit that from the outside we can only guess at and where the best managers earn their corn.

We only need 4 more wins to be safe, if they come on the bounce this month/next then I could be thinking of the playoffs.
Such a tight league, lose yesterday and its grim,win ugly as we did then up the table we're all looking.
Anythings possible in the next 3 months but looking at our results in early October, before pugwash was sacked, we we're in danger of joining the relegation scrap. As for Liverpool its important for English football that they never win the prem, ever.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 13:30:10 »

No because it was House.

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 13:37:46 »

Regard to football at the "highest level", with my opinion that most sports slide further towards dissociation of belonging and a more targeted entertainment service. It begs the rather long winded question;

With Liverpool in control and a two team battle for the title receding at the time, does it not question, considering the circumstances, that Liverpool did score "that" disallowed goal? Yet for the sake of entertainment purposes and to fit with Sky Sports (insert entertainment provider of choice) dramatic narrative, we see it disallowed. To keep the "title race" open?  Hmmm

We know there is corruption in sport and i'm not about to lay down a whole Premier League conspiracy but many often disregard corruption when the action is pointed towards our own backyard. Take UK Government for example. Many blindly believe our government do all things kosher and would never dream of manipulating the masses, stating we have a legal process and they'd be found out, etc. Our legal system isn't rigged with corruption either is it?

So where corruption is happening in big business, media, courts, government and financial institutions, why then can it not be possible to be happening at an elite level in our sports, and one that many of us love?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 13:47:48 »

I’ve grown from grudging admiration to total dislike of Lincoln

The way they go about things makes it very difficult to respect them.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Sunday, January 6, 2019, 13:56:31 »

Football like our Government is corrupt to some degree, but in terms of the argument that some 3 points are worth more than others, I don't think the case is strong enough that the GLT was deliberately manipulated by Sky or other media provider.

They will always just shift their paradigm to suit..... so a few weeks back Man City were the greatest side that had ever played in what we know as the FL, now it's we have a title race.  Had Liverpool won or drawn, it would have been they're the greatest side of all time, and can they go undefeated and do a PL /CL double?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: