Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC finances... yet again.  (Read 19027 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Friday, January 4, 2019, 19:02:36 »

so house is a Lucas Jutkiewicz type then?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Friday, January 4, 2019, 19:39:04 »

... at the turn of the year I was idly musing to myself, what an STFC XI of the decade might look like  Hmmm  (no loans accepted) ...

Foderingham

N. Thompson,  Morrison,  Greer,  M.Taylor

Byrne, Luongo, L Thompson,  Ritchie

Paynter, Austin

Subs:   Vigs, Collins, Ajose, Flint, Caddis, Gladwin,  G Roberts

Manager: PdC

I'd be inclined to have Big Dave Lucas replacing Vigs, Allan Connell replacing Collins (not a lot in them really just remember Connell having a knack of coming off the bench and scoring), Ferry replacing Gladwin on the bench, Switch Caddis to start for Taylor and that gives you my XI  Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Friday, January 4, 2019, 20:05:55 »

I'd be inclined to have Big Dave Lucas replacing Vigs, Allan Connell replacing Collins (not a lot in them really just remember Connell having a knack of coming off the bench and scoring), Ferry replacing Gladwin on the bench, Switch Caddis to start for Taylor and that gives you my XI  Smiley

Maybe on Lucas, but I still see him flapping at a cross at Wembley v Wall, and it puts me off.  Collins 126 goals from 366 games, Connell 83 from 354.... more of a goalscorer.  Certainly both Ferry and Gladwin had purple patches and neither has done much since, so a toss up.

Taylor is still a very good player... and I like left footers on the left.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, January 4, 2019, 21:20:54 »

Maybe on Lucas, but I still see him flapping at a cross at Wembley v Wall, and it puts me off.  Collins 126 goals from 366 games, Connell 83 from 354.... more of a goalscorer.  Certainly both Ferry and Gladwin had purple patches and neither has done much since, so a toss up.

Taylor is still a very good player... and I like left footers on the left.

Ahh see I thought you meant a "Decade XI" while at Town. Surely that is all that matters because it's how we remember them? Not what they did before or after?

Hmm, I'd have one Lucas flap against many Vigs flaps (he's getting better at claiming) but Lucas pips him quite significantly. However I'm of the opinion LMc is a better GK than Vigs so, likely why he doesn't make my XI.

Connell & Collins had a similar ratio while here (top of me head Collins about 15 in 46 =32.6%, Connell 11 in 32? =34.4%) but I just remember Connell scoring more important goals but it's trivial shit n piss really. He did get "that" L2 title and FLTrophy RU with us, whereas Collins didn't get squat for his showing, albeit in a league above.

Again with Ferry, it's measured "success" while here. Both suffered with injuries after Town but again Ferry has a title in his locker with us Smiley
« Last Edit: Friday, January 4, 2019, 21:23:12 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, January 4, 2019, 21:36:08 »

Connell played 44 matches for Swindon……a likeable man who played his part in 11/12 but he shouldn’t really be discussed as a possible inclusion for team of the decade. Collins was streets ahead of him - I’m surprised Reg has even entertained such a discussion. Andy Williams is another from that season who I’d include ahead of Connell.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, January 4, 2019, 22:14:55 »

Connell played 44 matches for Swindon……a likeable man who played his part in 11/12 but he shouldn’t really be discussed as a possible inclusion for team of the decade. Collins was streets ahead of him - I’m surprised Reg has even entertained such a discussion. Andy Williams is another from that season who I’d include ahead of Connell.

32 league matches of which his 11 goals came from. Now Andy Williams I would also agree but then maybe we should include Paul Benson too. We are merely talking here for a substitute position so the data of all four, off the bench would be interesting but it really is just trivial shit and piss.

Of course, it is all about opinions isn't it so if I want to include him in mine then I will.

Then again, is a man who thinks 5ft 10 & 6ft 1 are similar heights, along with 70kg & 90kg as being similar weights really worth trusting in a discussion at all?  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Friday, January 4, 2019, 22:26:56 »

Come on Bamboo, that’s spin a Tory MP would be proud of. My initial post referenced Cox, at 5ft 11 according to Wikipedia, being similar in height to the alleged 6ft 1 Ben House. Similar being the key word. No mention of weight at all....

Nice try though pal.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, January 4, 2019, 22:35:34 »

Come on Bamboo, that’s spin a Tory MP would be proud of. My initial post referenced Cox, at 5ft 11 according to Wikipedia, being similar in height to the alleged 6ft 1 Ben House. Similar being the key word. No mention of weight at all....

Nice try though pal.

I'm teasing and playing DA. You deserved it though  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, January 4, 2019, 22:44:05 »

None of the 'Leeds mafia' can be included as they screwed us over when we got relegated and Lucas was part of that, Douglas would have a place in the squad but for the the same reason as Lucas I wouldn't include him.
Andy Williams was a far better player than Connell or Colin's and would be in ahead of them and Caddis was far better than Nathan Thompson.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, January 4, 2019, 23:38:23 »

None of the 'Leeds mafia' can be included as they screwed us over when we got relegated and Lucas was part of that, Douglas would have a place in the squad but for the the same reason as Lucas I wouldn't include him.
Andy Williams was a far better player than Connell or Colin's and would be in ahead of them and Caddis was far better than Nathan Thompson.

soapy tit wank the Leeds Mafia. The only one I'd have a gripe with is Billy jumping ship essentially before the PO final. Everyone knew he was off to Leeds and he didn't give a fuck if we got promoted or not. Thus didn't turn up.

Lucas if I remember had a year left on his contract and was looking forward to working under PdC. However his Mrs was nagging him to move back up to Preston and seeing as his better days were behind him, planning for a future nearer home was likely more important. So he joined Rochdale. We could've forced him to stay for another year. Sometimes more than football comes into it, despite what the teenage boy in us thinks.

Agree with Andy Williams just something about Connell. I've no idea what. Probably just that he was part of such a well drilled squad.

Even though they are both RBs Caddis & Thompson were different types of player. That's why I'd have to have them both in, over Taylor. Ritchie could take a decent free kick so Taylor on the bench.

'Incessant Nonsense'

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Saturday, January 5, 2019, 03:48:05 »

Interesting that you mentioned Billy Paynter.... at the turn of the year I was idly musing to myself, what an STFC XI of the decade might look like  Hmmm  (no loans accepted)    I hear you say, but there's still a year to go, but I'm content that none of our current lot, bar one or any future signings will be good enough to get in it, so here goes.....

Foderingham

N. Thompson,  Morrison,  Greer,  M.Taylor

Byrne, Luongo, L Thompson,  Ritchie

Paynter, Austin

Subs:   Vigs, Collins, Ajose, Flint, Caddis, Gladwin,  G Roberts

Manager: PdC

JPM over Byrne. Perfect supply for William & Charles
Ferry in the middle pulling the strings
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Saturday, January 5, 2019, 03:50:17 »

I’d also have Jay Mc in at left back
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Saturday, January 5, 2019, 09:28:50 »

Mcevily at left back definitely, and i wouldn’t have Morrison in their either (probably flint instead)

Things get better but they never get good
Sir red ken

« Reply #73 on: Saturday, January 5, 2019, 11:25:48 »

I’d also have Jay Mc in at left back
Agreed and Caddis plus Flint would fill the other positions.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Saturday, January 5, 2019, 15:28:20 »

Mcevily at left back definitely, and i wouldn’t have Morrison in their either (probably flint instead)

Depends how you're judging it. If it's over career then McEveley is worth a shout but then surely Morrison, captain of Cardiff and playing in the Prem just pips Flint on that logic? That's why Flint is on the bench for me but it's tight.

If it's on career at Town then maybe Flint could pip in front but then that would bring in other benchers like Cuthbert. He did alright here.

We've had some decent CB historically and 4 there in the last decade. Even Kev Amankwaah was decent. Matt Preston looked like he could become a bit of a Town hero but we all know what happened there and Sid has potential to go down as a sort of legend. He's not the best yet but certainly has similar grit to the likes of Greer & the nutheadedness of Shaun Taylor. Basically a no nonsense CB. Something we've missed for a while and seemingly are so far, today  Head Hurts

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: