Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Selling a car  (Read 2406 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 19:31:15 »

I haven’t sold a car privately for years, which is the favoured method these days? Auto Trader still? Is Gumtree kosher?
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 20:03:55 »

As long as its advertised professionaly,  ie good points listed and photographed nicely if its a saleable car at a sensible price it should sell anywhere.    The last few I have sold have been on ebay,  plenty of  room for up to 12 photos and plenty of room to give a  good description.
I always start  at the lowest price I am prepared to take,   if it makes that, then fine, if it doesn't I keep it, but hopefully you get a couple of people that really want it and the price goes up to more than you expected.  Steer sell clear of companies like 'We buy any car.  com'  they offer you one price online,  then once you get there they start knocking off money for every little fault they can find.   They only end up paying bottom auction prices so if you want to go down that route you'd just as well cut out the middle man and send it to auction yourself.
On the other hand,  if its a ropey old banger, save the fucking about and just scrap it.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 20:27:00 »

It’s fairly new - only 10,000 miles. Don’t fancy eBay tbh - too many horror stories. I presume there are still a similar number of fuckwits who pretend to be interested.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 22:20:31 »

Sell it on here  Smiley
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 22:24:33 »

I sold my car on gumtree, but fuck me it was a hassle and annoyance.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 11:42:11 »

It’s fairly new - only 10,000 miles. Don’t fancy eBay tbh - too many horror stories. I presume there are still a similar number of fuckwits who pretend to be interested.
Doesn't matter where you list it you will always get the usual time wasters and fuckwits,  at least with eBay it can be seen  by a much larger audience.  To be fair,  if someone is prepared to travel a fair distance then the chances are they are genuinely interested.
Just be firm,  tell them your lowest price, take it or leave it,  and insist on a deposit if they want it,  finally make sure any bank payment made is cleared before letting go of the motor.   (Cash on Collection best answer).

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 12:06:28 »

and beware of scammers.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 12:30:13 »

Don't let people view it after midnight either
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 12:32:32 »

We sold the wife's old car through Facebook Marketplace. Had loads of interest (a few twats) but mostly easy to deal with. Sold for more than I expected too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: