Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OI OI ITS A MATCHDAY THREAD - SUHWINDON TOWN VERSUS EXITER CITY  (Read 32517 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 10:56:22 »

Listening to the after match interview with Wellens I had the sense of deja vu. Players not playing to abilities, players thinking they are better than they are, no sharpness, no commitment to the cause etc. etc.. Could have been any one of the comments from the last three or four seasons. As the managers/squads/background staff have all changed quite dramatically in that time I am totally flummoxed to see a reason to the inconsistencies and ineptitude that I keep seeing, yesterdays game being a classic example.

Hopefully this transfer window chance that Wellens has of getting "his" team together and playing to the way he wants comes to some sort of fruition, but not holding breath.

Essentially it's blaming the players rather than yourself. No manager likes losing it's personal and hurts, so they have to have something to blame.... a top operator like SAF, would have been straight on the non pen.  

We know the players aren't very good etc, we know they are generally not fit enough for quick mid week turnarounds.  

There's no need to state the obvious, of course it's difficult to change all of that overnight, so small steps are the measure to see if the new management set up is having an impact.... normally under Power post window we get worse, so if we could even marginally improve for the last 20 that would be something.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 10:58:06 »

Was surprised he got on Wolfendens case so publicly, it'll go one of two ways with that approach.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 11:08:38 »

Sadly it does seem I "called it" Sad we just can't seem to perform well at home and havn't done so for several years now, why the hell that is I don't know, are the players afraid of playing at home? or is it that we just play better when teams attack us and we hit them on the break? 3 games missed and 3 home defeats for me.

We should be dominating possession and shots in home games, yesterday it seems we did neither with Exeter having more shots/corners/on targets than we did.

We really shouldn't be losing so easily to sides like these/Cambridge/Woking/Bury/Carlisle at home and often with little effort.

Beaten by a cheated for penalty obviously outside of the box and a worldy that few keepers in the world would have got close to, our best central defender going off early as well compounding it.

Our problem is "fucking obviously" not scoring enough, we don't create many good chance and convert even fewer. Someone said that McCourt needs to stop shooting every time he has the ball, well if he shoots then thats something few of his teammates seem to be doing, so good for him I say. "You can't win a raffle unless you buy a ticket" as the saying goes.

We should be peppering goalkeepers with long range shots at this level, almost every keeper we have come up against this season looks unsteady with shots flying at them, so utilise it.

Also why do we persist in playing hoofballs from Vigs/Woolf/Nelson/Taylor upfield for our strikers to lose? Bayo or Richards on their day can win a few of them but they are not the type of target man that relishes on those balls. If we keep the ball down and pass and run we will do a lot better and we do look better when we do that.

Doughty in the last 3 or 4 games looks disinterested, his body language says he doesn't want to be here despite his huge amount of talent, constantly berating or arguing with his own players and going missing in games for 30 mins at a time regularly.

As I said previously if Bayo plays well the team plays well, several of the players are not good enough for L2 football, so many such as Anderson, Bayo, Doughty, McCourt, Dunne, Iandolo and others are so inconsistant, a few moments of brilliance and large amount of moments of madness. Yes I understand they are at this level for a reason but all show flashes of brilliance at times so its down to the manager/coaching staff to get the best out of them regularly.

Anyone that fully blames Wellens for this frankly is a bit of an idiot, he has inherited a team of underperforming players, he has not been allowed as yet to sign a single player himself so to get the results he has done already has been quite good, Brown couldn't get this lot playing well and most of them are his signings or Flitcrofts.

We are no doubt in the main playing a lot better football all over the pitch with better tactics, every team will have off days and it seems yesterday was one of those, the penalty incorrectly going against us and a great goal, fine margins.

Under Wellens in the League our form has been LWWWLDDDL (11 points 3 defeats) with the same players Browns record before he was sacked in his previous 9 games was LDLDLDLWL (6 points 5 defeats) so surely Wellens has got something right.

I will see what Wellens brings to the table with the transfer window, getting in players he wants and get rid of (much) deadwood inherited, then I would give him the Summer window to finish it off before I judge him. 2 transfer windows will be enough to accurately judge him, until then we have him as manager, Power will not get rid of him unless we lose the next 10 games in a row, which we won't I am sure of that, so petty bickering on here will achieve nothing, Power and Wellens are here for the foreseeable future and only an idiot would come in and buy us in the state we are in!

Look at Notts County to see how it could be a whole metric shit ton worse and thats WITH heavy financial backing.

We are in for a mid table season which with a few more new signings and wins then who knows?

Far too early to throw the towel in yet.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 11:27:14 »

At this stage it doesn't really matter whether you think Power is the devil, or plain unlucky.

The only questions that matter are
- is there someone better equipped and willing to take over/help out
- would Power let them

We can but guess.. Power decides.
This 100%.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 12:21:00 »

Was surprised he got on Wolfendens case so publicly, it'll go one of two ways with that approach.
He was terrible after Sid went off though, looked completely lost. Not that Conroy was much better alongside him either.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 12:23:24 »

oh yeah I get it was valid, just prefer it being done behind closed doors.

but hey, he's the manager and knows the players. hopefully it'll motivate him
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 12:23:49 »

Things have gotten worse season after season under Power and seeing as it is unlikely his approach to club ownership will change we look destined to be a L2 also ran for some time to come - hopefully not worse.

It’s difficult to watch our club diminish before our eyes while others with less than half the support look on the rise. How can Carlisle, for example, with probably a smaller budget than us cobble together a team capable of knocking on the PO door.

There is no doubt we should be performing better than we are and various managers seem incapable of putting a half decent side together with what must be a top half budget.

There is a distinct whiff of decay around the whole club. 5 years of decline has to lie at Power’s door and I reckon it’s his perceived ‘couldnt give a fuck’ attitude that has infected everything.

Is there really a great financial incentive for Power to have the club in L1 rather than L2?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 12:32:50 »

We've had two tough seasons in division 4.

Flitcroft had a big rebuild to do, tough ask made tougher by his largely crappy recruitment and playing style.

Brown took what was left and for reasons only he'll understand bought a fuckton of midfielders.

I think Reg is right regarding realistic expectations. We can do what others are doing, but it takes time and a bit of luck getting the right man in.

Its way too early to judge Wellens yet. going to be this time next year before that should happen (assuming a mid table finish).

We can't buy the league. We are unlikely to get new investors in while Power is here. It's all a bit shit.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 12:46:00 »

The club just seems to be going through the motions, every time I go back to see a game I'm reminded of why I could not be arsed with it since the Preston debacle.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 12:48:16 »

Is there really a great financial incentive for Power to have the club in L1 rather than L2?

There are some advantages to being Div 3, namely a better standard of loan player, who you can maybe pick up and flog on, like Luongo and Byrne.  Further bigger handouts from the FL.... this will be offset by being able to reduce the wage bill, by being Div 4 rather than 3.

Power does at least seem to get that maintaining our league status needs to happen for him to make any money..... he made the right call last season with Flitcroft, when a continuation of policy could easily have seen us doing a Chesterfield, and he moved pretty quickly this season when PB had taken us to a historic low position after a significant number of games and the drop zone beckoned.
Flashheart

« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 12:53:50 »

I still maintain Power's been unlucky since the drop. He's made appointments that are solid on paper, and supported them. It'll just take sustained improvement on the pitch and the duldrums will be lifted. Whether Wellens' is the person to do that remains to be seen. He's been hit and miss so far.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 13:11:42 »

Sadly it does seem I "called it" Sad we just can't seem to perform well at home and havn't done so for several years now, why the hell that is I don't know,

I posed the question which nobody took up the challenge on, as to whether there is any obvious correlation between moving the training from Wanborough to Calne.... my gut instinct is there could be, but in the past when I've said about not being happy with shifting out to Calne, most on here decry it as making no difference.

It is partly the perception thing.... which Wellens touched on of players not seeing us as a big club in Div 4.  Wanborough being only just out of town, had decent facilities....  name boards saying Town training ground that sort of thing... it looked proper.  Remember Sturrock, post training he'd get the players back to the CG for a meal of stovies, a sweatie dish, he maintained it was important to keep them in touch with their base.

It of course helps then if there are community activities going on at the CG, in the day.... and if possible as in the past with things like The Study Centre, get the players involved.

These are young lads often living in London or similar, who probably only go to the CG for a few hours a week, and don't really get any sense of integration.... if you're someone like Bayo, or Olly Lancashire atm, it will soon be Doughty, it's just somewhere you turn up to occasionally to get abuse.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 13:36:03 »

I posed the question which nobody took up the challenge on, as to whether there is any obvious correlation between moving the training from Wanborough to Calne.... my gut instinct is there could be, but in the past when I've said about not being happy with shifting out to Calne, most on here decry it as making no difference.

It is partly the perception thing.... which Wellens touched on of players not seeing us as a big club in Div 4.  Wanborough being only just out of town, had decent facilities....  name boards saying Town training ground that sort of thing... it looked proper.  Remember Sturrock, post training he'd get the players back to the CG for a meal of stovies, a sweatie dish, he maintained it was important to keep them in touch with their base.
You seem to assume the club stopped using the training facilities at Wanborouh out of choice. They didn't, PGL decided not to renew the contract. So it might be you didn't get an answer to your "challenge" because it was based on a false premise?
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 13:36:05 »

Is Sol Pryce injured? Not even been on the bench past three games and not started since his debut brace.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 14:22:48 »

Is Sol Pryce injured? Not even been on the bench past three games and not started since his debut brace.

Don't think so. He's been with the match day squad for the last 2 or 3 games.
One of the fitness guys has had him and Romanski running round the pitch beforehand.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go out on loan soon.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: