Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OI OI ITS A MATCHDAY THREAD - SUHWINDON TOWN VERSUS EXITER CITY  (Read 32520 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Thursday, January 3, 2019, 02:57:19 »

I posed the question which nobody took up the challenge on, as to whether there is any obvious correlation between moving the training from Wanborough to Calne.... my gut instinct is there could be, but in the past when I've said about not being happy with shifting out to Calne, most on here decry it as making no difference.

It is partly the perception thing.... which Wellens touched on of players not seeing us as a big club in Div 4.  Wanborough being only just out of town, had decent facilities....  name boards saying Town training ground that sort of thing... it looked proper.  Remember Sturrock, post training he'd get the players back to the CG for a meal of stovies, a sweatie dish, he maintained it was important to keep them in touch with their base.

It of course helps then if there are community activities going on at the CG, in the day.... and if possible as in the past with things like The Study Centre, get the players involved.

These are young lads often living in London or similar, who probably only go to the CG for a few hours a week, and don't really get any sense of integration.... if you're someone like Bayo, or Olly Lancashire atm, it will soon be Doughty, it's just somewhere you turn up to occasionally to get abuse.

The obvious correlation is that our training no longer matches the high standard of an Italian who carved out a decent career for himself at the top level.

HTH
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Thursday, January 3, 2019, 13:19:21 »

Taken a couple of days to muse, aided by flying back to the USA.

We seem to have a squad of not quite right players.  BY that, I mean, they are ok, sometimes they even look good for this level, but very few of them really fit a position, really have  anatural home that beds together as a team.

Taylor - not a left back and certainly not a holding midfielder.  Good set pieces, effort but he can't defend without running in reverse and we can't get him in the right positions up the field often enough.
Iandolo - not a left back - good crossing but how do you get him into that position?
McCourt - he doesn't seem mobile and doesn't seem to fit the defensive role, but he has some moments of creativity and can shoot, but again, he's not got enough to be left up the pitch
All our forwards are not quite forwards in different ways - we have a few pacey players but none of them seems comfortable out wide and none of them can play upfront on their own.  I am coming to the belief that someone at Fulham knew that Adebayo didn't have a natural forward position and trying him at centre back must have been to see if letting him just attack the ball would be better - he doesn't know how to play both ways.  Anderson - I can't think of a position you play this guy in any team at any level.  Woolery - he might work as part of a front two with a big lump of a forward to play off, but without that, again, he has no home in a team.

When you go through them all, it's tough to put together a team and formation where you have all eleven players, or close, in their optimum positions.  I think we have eleven good players, just no way of making them into a good team.  The big question is whether it's a few people in specific positions that make it come together, or whether you end up having to let someone like Anderson go because you can never figure out how to use him without detracting to from the team shape.
Sir red ken

« Reply #182 on: Thursday, January 3, 2019, 13:49:44 »

Taken a couple of days to muse, aided by flying back to the USA.

We seem to have a squad of not quite right players.  BY that, I mean, they are ok, sometimes they even look good for this level, but very few of them really fit a position, really have  anatural home that beds together as a team.

Taylor - not a left back and certainly not a holding midfielder.  Good set pieces, effort but he can't defend without running in reverse and we can't get him in the right positions up the field often enough.
Iandolo - not a left back - good crossing but how do you get him into that position?
McCourt - he doesn't seem mobile and doesn't seem to fit the defensive role, but he has some moments of creativity and can shoot, but again, he's not got enough to be left up the pitch
All our forwards are not quite forwards in different ways - we have a few pacey players but none of them seems comfortable out wide and none of them can play upfront on their own.  I am coming to the belief that someone at Fulham knew that Adebayo didn't have a natural forward position and trying him at centre back must have been to see if letting him just attack the ball would be better - he doesn't know how to play both ways.  Anderson - I can't think of a position you play this guy in any team at any level.  Woolery - he might work as part of a front two with a big lump of a forward to play off, but without that, again, he has no home in a team.

When you go through them all, it's tough to put together a team and formation where you have all eleven players, or close, in their optimum positions.  I think we have eleven good players, just no way of making them into a good team.  The big question is whether it's a few people in specific positions that make it come together, or whether you end up having to let someone like Anderson go because you can never figure out how to use him without detracting to from the team shape.

The main thing to remember about the majority of our squad is they cost little or no money to aquire.
whether they can hold a position or are good at this or any other level is irrelevant.
We need 11 players to pull on a shirt each week so the club can sell tickets for games.
Nothing else is required.
Flashheart

« Reply #183 on: Thursday, January 3, 2019, 13:59:31 »

e defensive role, but he has some moments of creativity and can shoot, but again, he's not got enough to be left up the pitch

I think Adebayo is an out an out forward, just not the prolific goal-scoring variety.

Other than that, yeah. The rest seem to be more attacking midfielders/wide forwards of some obscure flavour. I'm sure they can be found places in the right team somewhere, just not as strikers. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of them end up finding a home in Europe (and doing well)

The only one we really have in that mold is Richards, and he's past it/injured.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: