Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OI OI ITS A MATCHDAY THREAD - SUHWINDON TOWN VERSUS EXITER CITY  (Read 32750 times)
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 20:08:14 »

I feel as pissed off as anyone with recent results and inconsistencies,  however, , the question is what is the defining factor ?,  not sure if I am correct but to me the answer is - Lee Power.     I am not one of those shouting for his head (yet), but he appears to be the common denominator.   Hated Browns style of play, but how can he be so different at Mansfield ?, 17 undefeated,  couldn't get fuck all right here.  As said on previous posts,  is Power pulling the strings ?, is he throwing his weight about behind the scenes,  has already shown what he is like,  banning members of the press when they say things he doesn't like.   We cannot afford to keep him if we wish this club to progress,  on the other hand,  we cannot afford to lose him. Don't know the answer,  but hope we can turn things around bloody soon.

Umm Brown isn't at Mansfield
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 20:13:43 »

Sorry,   been that many poor managers ! Brown & Flitcroft included !.  Thanks for the nudge,  have now corrected the post !.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 20:18:17 »

I feel as pissed off as anyone with recent results and inconsistencies,  however, , the question is what is the defining factor ?,  not sure if I am correct but to me the answer is - Lee Power.     I am not one of those shouting for his head (yet), but he appears to be the common denominator.   Hated Browns style of play, but how can he be so different at Mansfield ?, 17 undefeated,  couldn't get fuck all right here.  As said on previous posts,  is Power pulling the strings ?, is he throwing his weight about behind the scenes,  has already shown what he is like,  banning members of the press when they say things he doesn't like.   We cannot afford to keep him if we wish this club to progress,  on the other hand,  we cannot afford to lose him. Don't know the answer,  but hope we can turn things around bloody soon.

I'm sure you mean Flitcroft rather than Brown.... and I know the outers and haters have a loud voice on here despite the evidence to the contrary.  But if you compare 24 games in where Mansfield are we'd won more games than them, they do have 6 more points than we did courtesy of the draws, which is where they're doing well....managing to dig out a point here and there, which we couldn't do.  The bit extra was probably made up having the 10 game end of season and then a full pre season, in order to sort out requirements for the campaign ahead.

As regards Power, at least his sustainablity model which although has reduced our league status to a mid table Div 4 outfit, has averted the previous financial crises, to the extent that we can look at say Exeter as a sustainable Trust run club, and think there's no reason why it couldn't happen here. Exeter are presently some way ahead of us in playing terms, so it would be preferable to be mid table Div 4 with a fan's run club, than mid table Div 4 with an owner.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 20:21:04 »

At this stage it doesn't really matter whether you think Power is the devil, or plain unlucky.

The only questions that matter are
- is there someone better equipped and willing to take over/help out
- would Power let them

We can but guess.. Power decides.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 20:22:27 »

I feel as pissed off as anyone with recent results and inconsistencies,  however, , the question is what is the defining factor ?,  not sure if I am correct but to me the answer is - Lee Power.     I am not one of those shouting for his head (yet), but he appears to be the common denominator.   Hated Browns style of play, but how can he be so different at Mansfield ?, 17 undefeated,  couldn't get fuck all right here.  As said on previous posts,  is Power pulling the strings ?, is he throwing his weight about behind the scenes,  has already shown what he is like,  banning members of the press when they say things he doesn't like.   We cannot afford to keep him if we wish this club to progress,  on the other hand,  we cannot afford to lose him. Don't know the answer,  but hope we can turn things around bloody soon.
Completely agree with the above. Lee Power is the common denominator and his continued absence from games speaks volumes at how interested he is in the club.  He also must be fully aware that sections of the fanbase are blaming him?

Like The Flash, I was too hungover today so gave it a miss, so can't comment on the game specifically.  However after initially feeling we were turning a corner under Wellens, 3 points out of the last 12 says differently.  Power needs to back him properly in the transfer window and quickly.  None of this watching players move here there and everywhere and then us panicking in the last 24 hours. If he doesn't, the situation is not going to improve.

It won't be long before season ticket renewals will be out.  How many current ST holders won't renew when they can't see any light at the end of the tunnel under the current ownership?  The FA cup game attendances should give a bit of an indication.
Sir red ken

« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 20:38:44 »

3 points out of the last 12 says differently.  Power needs to back him properly in the transfer window and quickly.  None of this watching players move here there and everywhere and then us panicking in the last 24 hours. If he doesn't, the situation is not going to improve.

Alternatively LP could dispence with the services of Wellens and appoint another manager. Another new manager bounce should see us close to survival and 50 ish points. No need to sign anyone in the window just get a few kids on loan.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 21:15:19 »

What should our transfer strategy be now.

Hopefully we've got enough in the squad to stay up, maybe!

So do we still spend to chase the (surely out of reach) playoffs. Or save the cash for next season?

I’d save it for next year. Too big an overhaul needed.
Vigs, Knoyle, Dougherty
After those three is there anyone worth keeping? Woolery perhaps now he’s fit
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 21:22:09 »

I feel as pissed off as anyone with recent results and inconsistencies,  however, , the question is what is the defining factor ?,  not sure if I am correct but to me the answer is - Lee Power.     I am not one of those shouting for his head (yet), but he appears to be the common denominator.   Hated Flitcrofts style of play, but how can he be so different at Mansfield ?, 17 undefeated,  couldn't get fuck all right here.  As said on previous posts,  is Power pulling the strings ?, is he throwing his weight about behind the scenes,  has already shown what he is like,  banning members of the press when they say things he doesn't like.   We cannot afford to keep him if we wish this club to progress,  on the other hand,  we cannot afford to lose him. Don't know the answer,  but hope we can turn things around bloody soon.

I agree with much of what you’ve said- but we badly need someone at the helm who:

1) is accountable to a board of directors
2) actually gives a toss about the club
3) can engage with its fanbase

Really can’t see many ST holders renewing under the clubs current direction.

My biggest fear is we drop out of the league within a couple of seasons and looking at our league finish season on season since 2015 this horrible prospect is feasible.

I think it’s time the trust called another fans meeting this cannot be allowed to carry on.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 22:03:08 »

I agree with much of what you’ve said- but we badly need someone at the helm who:

1) is accountable to a board of directors
2) actually gives a toss about the club
3) can engage with its fanbase

Really can’t see many ST holders renewing under the clubs current direction.

My biggest fear is we drop out of the league within a couple of seasons and looking at our league finish season on season since 2015 this horrible prospect is feasible.

I think it’s time the trust called another fans meeting this cannot be allowed to carry on.

1) would be good but is something that doesn't happen at most clubs.

2) I'm sure he gives a toss as ultimately it's his investment he needs to protect but I'm guessing you mean a fan of the club. something which would be good but again is very rare amongst other clubs.

3) It's funny how this pisses off fans. I couldn't care less how much he engages with us. he could be as distant as ever and bring success. everyone seems to want a mate chairman like Jed (without the dodgyness) Did black engage with us? Power probably does more q and a radio sessions than chairmen of other clubs.

The situation is shit. again it looks like we are writing off a season at the half way point. there is no quick solution though. the only way we have got out this league before is through spending and like most other clubs in this league we don't have the money to invest
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, January 1, 2019, 22:15:13 »

First Town game for 3 years, taking my two boys, it'll be my littlests' first game. Instant loss right there... Tongue

Yup. It wasn't very good.

normy

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 09:51:03 »

For me Conroy gave the most disappointing display as holding midfielder.  Many misplaced passes,hardly anything creative, lethargic, giving the ball away.  Better when he went to CB his true position.

ust be the oldest
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 10:04:45 »

One howitzer shot in the first couple of minutes, though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 10:21:23 »

Conroy has had a year off injured, was a poor performance out of position, but it's going to take a fair while to see if he can get back to where he was before injury.

would Dunne (or Smith, or McCourt) do better in the screening role? Suppose TD will sit in there when fit again.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 10:39:02 »

1) would be good but is something that doesn't happen at most clubs.

2) I'm sure he gives a toss as ultimately it's his investment he needs to protect but I'm guessing you mean a fan of the club. something which would be good but again is very rare amongst other clubs.

3) It's funny how this pisses off fans. I couldn't care less how much he engages with us. he could be as distant as ever and bring success. everyone seems to want a mate chairman like Jed (without the dodgyness) Did black engage with us? Power probably does more q and a radio sessions than chairmen of other clubs.

The situation is shit. again it looks like we are writing off a season at the half way point. there is no quick solution though. the only way we have got out this league before is through spending and like most other clubs in this league we don't have the money to invest

Your last line is apposite.... this is the problem. Power has always been honest about being here to make money, and the need for the club to be self funding beyond that, known as sustainable.

It is possible to run a lower league/non league club like that and with some shrewd management sometimes have the odd decent season.  But people need to adjust their compass as to what is likely and achievable.... it is a policy which with attendant errors has reduced us from a natural Div 3 club, to our present status as a natural middling Div 4 club.  You can see it in our league position and the fact we haven't beaten a side in the current top ten apart from 9th placed Tranny, when helped by a sending off.

To find that odd good season, we will need to give Wellens/Hunt and Jewell a bit of time in order to build something... I would say look at it in January 21 and if no obvious signs of something then have a rethink.  Unfortuately football doesn't work like that, as last year we had a gaffer doing a decent season and as a consequence he was headhunted by a bigger fish.

Wellens in yesterday's post match mentioned about trying to convince players we're a big side in this league, but clearly just saying it doesn't work.... you have to show it by spending. Most casual observers of football would probably assume that Town were bigger than FGR, yet if they could look at budgets, owner ambition etc they'd realise it isn't the case.

What we have left for this season, is to see whether there's any sign of shrewdness and native cunning from the DoF and coaching staff, and little goals like could we really get a point or better at Moss Rose, could we perhaps win a home game, comfortaably by more than a goal.  I'm sure a few others will arise before May, but there's still the Glos/Wilts, Somerset mini league to resolve and the carrot of a possible first win at Whaddon Road to look forward to at the end.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 10:46:23 »

Listening to the after match interview with Wellens I had the sense of deja vu. Players not playing to abilities, players thinking they are better than they are, no sharpness, no commitment to the cause etc. etc.. Could have been any one of the comments from the last three or four seasons. As the managers/squads/background staff have all changed quite dramatically in that time I am totally flummoxed to see a reason to the inconsistencies and ineptitude that I keep seeing, yesterdays game being a classic example.

Hopefully this transfer window chance that Wellens has of getting "his" team together and playing to the way he wants comes to some sort of fruition, but not holding breath.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: