Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mansfield town vs Swindon town Official Match Day Thread  (Read 36876 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 19:10:59 »

Apparently, Exeter have sold Stockley and replaced him with Ryan Bowman. Whether he will play NYD is debatable. Usually players on their way for decent money are not risked.
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 19:13:51 »

I think our recent record vs Exeter and away at Macclesfield is pretty bad, so a bit pessimistic about next week. Obviously good if Stockley isn't playing for Exeter.
Flashheart

« Reply #182 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 19:14:35 »

There have been some games where they could have gone either way. With an out and out goal-scorer, we may have been able to add 6, 7, 8 points to the current point tally. Maybe more.

This is not even Wellens' team. Although he did inherit a decent (if unbalanced) squad, a few tweaks to his liking could swing those margins in our favour. Of course, it's early days yet but I'm encouraged by what I've seen so far.
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 19:26:15 »

Well I enjoyed that, could easily have taken the three points. Typical shit referee, Adebayo gets dragged down by two defenders,neither of whom get booked.McCourt commits a foul straight after and gets a yellow. Can’t decide who was more shit,Doughty for us or Preston for them who seems overweight and no great loss. Nice touch of Mansfield to put the welcome posters up to town fans travelling 147 miles
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 19:29:19 »

The last game I attended was Wellens first in charge, a 4-0 home loss to Carlisle. Since then he has been in charge for three wins, three draws and just one defeat. You can't blame Wellens for that awful result against Carlisle, more likely to be my fault for attending  Smiley. I'm more positive than I was under Flitcroft or Brown.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 19:43:13 »

Not everybody has said that as such... think it's more a case of we need more goals, the goals can come from anywhere.

Obviously but I think you know what I meant. It is helpful if one of your forward players are scoring at a rate of 1 in 3 though (and only if others are chipping in). We know we have players in midfield and defence capable of scoring too.

I heard the Wellens comments on listen again. Think he's after someone who can get on the end of the crosses and a good finisher. For me JET comes to mind but he'd have to take a reality check on wages. He a free agent but imagine wage demand is his stumbling block. He's been without a club since leaving QPR in the Summer. Would be a coup indeed but i'm likely dreaming.

However he did mention that if we obtain Sid permanently that would free up a loan, so a different target but would give us scope to obtain someone out of favour in a higher division. First thought (and with the Jewell link) would be someone like Alex Jones? Not getting a look in at Bradford and believed to be a decent finisher. L2 could be favourable for him. Could he be the loan Wellens hints at, if Nelson becomes perm?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 19:44:09 »

Good point. Fair result.

They were perhaps more cohesive than us and with maybe a bit more purpose, which might explain the difference in league position.
Both teams lacked a bit of creative quality.
We wasted possession too much and Vigs distribution was very poor.

Maybe Conroy is getting some games to get him up to speed if Sid doesn't return, but if Millwall are happy then it shouldn't take long to sort the extension out. Hopefully we'll see him at Macclesfield.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 19:51:37 »

If Wellens/Jewell/Power get the transfer window right then the season is salvageable.

If.....

It's a very big if, so big in fact that it isn't really worth getting too excited about. 

As things stand, the positives are that we don't have any outstanding players who will be sold, this is good, if you think of a season like 11/12 when we turned the year winning 4-2 at Charlton, and without ripping up any trees were 4 points off our current spot, albeit in Div 3. The sale of Autin and Morrison saw us finish bottom.

In 16/17 it was the loss of loan duo Doughty and Furlong and failure to replace them with the require experience which helped relegated us.... this season we look likely to lose Nelson, but do have some numbers back there who might be able to cover.

In order to jump the bodies in front of us, it will require a winning run, the like of which is very rare in our history... of course it's possible, just not very likely.  Realistically, Wellens should use this window and the final 20 odd games, to try and build up something for a serious top 3 drive from August.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 20:05:13 »

This season feels like another ‘if’. If we beat Exeter, If we string a few results together, If we make the right signings, If Toumani can get fit.

Unfortunately there are already sides that are settled and have done all of the above. I’d love to be proven wrong but I feel like we’ve been left behind again.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 20:08:10 »

Doesn't feel like a promotion season,  same as last year,  tbh.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 20:10:53 »

...Sid doesn't return, but if Millwall are happy then it shouldn't take long to sort the extension out. Hopefully we'll see him at Macclesfield.

Think Wellens said as much that we are trying to get him on a permanent contract. Then again if his Millwall contract expires in the Summer we could get him on a free. Maybe we can pre-sign him? Happens with several players. The suit seems to fit for all parties concerned just depends if any other clubs make an offer for him in January. Around £100k-£150k might be enough to keep Millwall happy, for a player they'll get nothing for in six months.

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 20:13:42 »

Unfortunately there are already sides that are settled and have done all of the above. I’d love to be proven wrong but I feel like we’ve been left behind again.

There is always one team that charges up the table and is under the radar. That could be us.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 20:15:26 »

There is always one team that charges up the table and is under the radar. That could be us.
When is it ever Bamboo? When is it ever?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 20:19:44 »

He hinted at a result. He didn't give a score prediction.
Exactly my point.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 20:20:44 »

In 16/17 it was the loss of loan duo Doughty and Furlong and failure to replace them with the require experience which helped relegated us.... this season we look likely to lose Nelson, but do have some numbers back there who might be able to cover.

Do we? "likely" seems quite a bold statement Reg. I think the minimum we will have him until the end of the season and there is an even chance of us getting him on a perm. That's going on both the comments of Wellens and Sid post match. Sid said he's loving it here and is just keeping his head down.

We aren't getting relegated. Not when we are 13pts from the drop and 8 of the 10 sides below us all have a worse GD to boot. Whereas we are only 7pts from 5th! Plenty to be looking upwards about.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: