Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Northampton v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 31665 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #195 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 11:05:09 »

Exeter seem to think they are bringing 2000 on NYD.
They don't get that many more at home for some games, never gonna happen, they have never brought more than 900-1000 ever in my 45 years of following the Town.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 11:09:51 »

They don't get that many more at home for some games, never gonna happen, they have never brought more than 900-1000 ever in my 45 years of following the Town.

Hopefully they bring a few as it's money for the club.... Exeter will have missed out the last couple of seasons, with our visit, because of the low away capacity.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #197 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 11:11:49 »

Hopefully they bring a few as it's money for the club.... Exeter will have missed out the last couple of seasons, with our visit, because of the low away capacity.
Indeed they have but they have their new end open now (!) possibly still the worst end in the football league excepting Poxford (and Aldershot when they were in L2).

adje

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 15:23:30 »

Indeed they have but they have their new end open now (!) possibly still the worst end in the football league excepting Poxford (and Aldershot when they were in L2).
Not forgetting Gillingham!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 15:57:51 »

Just checking back on the Cheltenham and Northampton matches. Forgive me as they are only the 10mins of extended highlights but from what I saw again;

v Cheltenham but for Stupid Sexy Flinders and the Woolf miscuing his shot near the end I thought we had good value to beat them. Considering our "record" against them it was a decent point and probably should've nicked it. Didn't seem as dire as some had pointed out.

v Northampton they should've put it to bed in the 1st half, Woolery hit the post but could and possibly should've been about 4-1. As has been mentioned it really was a game of two halves. They hit the bar but The Town should've won about 3-1. Strange how there were two similar goalkeeper fluffs which led to goal line clearances. On balance a draw was about right but if we're honest Cobblers should have put it away 1st half.

Vigs made some great stops, some bizarre goalkeeping positioning and I don't understand how he has this inherent need to parry it towards the opposition on many occasions. Has no one coached him the basics of parrying to the sides rather than forward? I don't  want to batter him because he can be very good but he needs stronger wrists because so many times we've seen the ball break through him, when it should be a save. He also almost needs a second claim every time he makes a save. This shows up because he likes to tip a ball rather than claim/smother. Conroy probably isn't ready to be a DCM yet so probably wise to put that on the back burner and get someone in to do a job, Turnbull would be an interesting one but we would have to move on one of the many midfielders, Dave (fitness) or Smith (if he isn't going to be used) come to mind.

Going forward to tomorrow with the trip to Mansfield, and watched several of their highlights, they do look dangerous albeit a bit boring. Play like the 1st half v Northampton and we could be 2 or 3 down. Play like the 2nd half and we'll likely have our noses in front. We will concede, not sure whether it will be 1st or 2nd but there will be goals. Gut says we'll lose 2-1, heart says we'll win 1-2/1-3, head says 1-1.

Sorry, that prediction was all a bit Reg (lite)  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman

« Reply #200 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 10:30:11 »

Not forgetting Gillingham!
Gills do have a horrible away end but its slighty more than 3 steps high!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 11:55:14 »

Gills do have a horrible away end but its slighty more than 3 steps high!

Layer Road, used to have about 5 steps, and a bog which consisted of 1 Twyford's Adamant.  First visit Whaddon Road can't have been more than 6 or 7, with a corrugated roof, whcih you could touch if you had a bit of height.  TBF they did replace it with something slightly better pdq
Peter Venkman

« Reply #202 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 12:00:52 »

Layer Road, used to have about 5 steps, and a bog which consisted of 1 Twyford's Adamant.  First visit Whaddon Road can't have been more than 6 or 7, with a corrugated roof, whcih you could touch if you had a bit of height.  TBF they did replace it with something slightly better pdq
Layer Road had about 5 or 6 steps for 3/4 of the ground IIRC, horrible ground to visit.

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 12:09:02 »

Layer Road had about 5 or 6 steps for 3/4 of the ground IIRC, horrible ground to visit.

Yet still far better than their current ground
Peter Venkman

« Reply #204 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 12:11:58 »

Yet still far better than their current ground
I haven't been to the new ground but did not enjoy the old ground, really claustrophobic.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 14:19:09 »

AFC Wimbledon is pretty poor.
Shallow terrace, part of which is below pitch level.
Little people have no chance there.

Hopefully their new place will be a thing of beauty.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 15:07:52 »

I remember visiting Roots Hall back in the 90s, it felt like you were stood outside the ground  Smiley
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 22:23:46 »

I remember visiting Roots Hall back in the 90s, it felt like you were stood outside the ground  Smiley
Most people were !,  mainly in the flats overlooking the ground !. Tightfisted gits.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: