Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Northampton v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 31810 times)
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 20:55:55 »

The first half was indeed dire, but fortunately Vigs was excellent, again. I can’t imagine many will be asking for a recall for McCormick this week.

Adebayo was a plus. I’m sure he was shit on Saturday (I wasn’t there) but, please, let’s drop the sarcastic cheers now - we aren’t awash with options up there. Today, he set up a goal, won a few corners and looked a constant threat. Keshi really perked up after he came on and, for about 20 minutes, excelled and showed what he’s capable of.

Negatives... I’m not at all keen on Conroy. The goal was his fault. He can ping a decent crossfield ball, but his short passing is poor. He always looks overweight as well. Having a cast of thousands in midfield, and electing to play a shit defender in there instead, is a throwback to Luke Williams. And we didn’t deal well enough with their crosses.

We are capable of far better football over 90 minutes. But the result was fair.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 22:08:06 »

you know I think we should play Vigs. but he gave me kittens a few times from backpasses and other situations while under pressure with the ball at his feet!

he was otherwise excellent mind. set up a few chances and
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 22:11:49 »

It's always on the edge with Vigs.  Thats the point really.  Takes players out with a pass.  Its a risk but sometimes worth it.  He put Mcglashan through when he set up Woolery.  If that comes off its worth it.

Never knowingly overstated.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 22:42:51 »

The first half was indeed dire, but fortunately Vigs was excellent, again. I can’t imagine many will be asking for a recall for McCormick this week.

Adebayo was a plus. I’m sure he was shit on Saturday (I wasn’t there) but, please, let’s drop the sarcastic cheers now - we aren’t awash with options up there. Today, he set up a goal, won a few corners and looked a constant threat. Keshi really perked up after he came on and, for about 20 minutes, excelled and showed what he’s capable of.

Negatives... I’m not at all keen on Conroy. The goal was his fault. He can ping a decent crossfield ball, but his short passing is poor. He always looks overweight as well. Having a cast of thousands in midfield, and electing to play a shit defender in there instead, is a throwback to Luke Williams. And we didn’t deal well enough with their crosses.

We are capable of far better football over 90 minutes. But the result was fair.
Agree with all of this, especially re. Conroy. It seems he is still trading off some good performances in our relegation season with quite a few fans but he hasn’t been the same player since and the midfield experiment didn't work today.

Reg’s old mate Flitters up next....they are 15 unbeaten in the league.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 23:04:06 »

Agree with all of this, especially re. Conroy. It seems he is still trading off some good performances in our relegation season with quite a few fans but he hasn’t been the same player since and the midfield experiment didn't work today.

Reg’s old mate Flitters up next....they are 15 unbeaten in the league.

Flitcroft’s recent comments about there being no loyalty left in society, said with his usual smarmy arrogance, made my piss boil. How the fuck can he say that with a straight face? What a Grade A wanker.

It’ll be a hard game, without doubt. But they’ve still drawn more games than they’ve won. And, although they’ve hit form, they’ve hardly been breezing through games.

We wouldn’t get away up there with the first half performance that we put in today, because their forwards are bound to be a bit more ruthless than Andy Pandy and his mates. But, if we manage the sort of start that we did in the earlier Wellens games, I see no reason why we shouldn’t get a result. I’m sure we’d all settle for a point, but football logic suggests that they’ll lose one out of nowhere pretty soon.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 00:05:01 »

I thought it an interesting experiment.... I've never been convinced by him as a centre half, but probably worth sticking with a bit longer to see if it has any mileage, or at least until to see if Toumani can get back to anything like the necessary fitness.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 00:09:36 »

Given Vigs some stick recently but have to give him credit today he was fantastic today. No idea why Conroy got the DM role over Smith.. he didnt look comfortable at all. Mcglashan yet again was a waste of space and spent more time on the floor.

Adebayo did very well when he came on and Woolery/ Anderson (who had a decent game) came to life. McCourt also looked good when he came on and we had a much stronger 2nd half.

Have to mention the penalty that wasn't though. How the fuck that was even briefly considered a penalty I'll never know! Glad the ref saw sense and fair play for changing his mind but it would have been a disgrace if it was given!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 07:35:16 »

Just watched the highlights. Anyone else notice Taylor lying on the floor and trying to rugby tackle one of the Northampton players in the second half? Should have been sent off since he brought the player down.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 08:05:15 »

Just watched the highlights. Anyone else notice Taylor lying on the floor and trying to rugby tackle one of the Northampton players in the second half? Should have been sent off since he brought the player down.

They were breaking, Taylor wasn’t officially last man, ref waved play on and then correctly booked him when the ball went out of play for a corner.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 08:53:52 »

I think the criticism of Conroy is a bit harsh. After a bit of a shaky start, in a position that he's not used to playing in, I thought he got better and better as the game went on. Yes, he made the mistake for their goal, but made up for it later with his involvement in our goal.

He's comfortable on the ball and hits some excellent long balls. He could, potentially, be a very good defensive midfielder.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 09:14:02 »

I'd agree that Conroy might be worth a go in that position.
Smith or McCourt are not much cop there, but hopefully TD can manage a run of games before the end of the season.

Interesting that Turnbull looked to be playing the same role for Northampton.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 09:31:16 »

I would agree with a lot of what's been said.

Ended up being a pretty decent game with both sides having good chances to win it. It was one of those games where you just have to say that a draw was a fair result. The first half was very poor though and Cobblers could/should have been three up at the break. Not seen any highlights yet but how their bloke missed from 6 yards out is a mystery and would have been game over effectively.

Even though Adabeyo is to say the very least limited, yesterday shows that you have to play him until such time as we manage to find someone better. He made a huge difference when he came on in the second half.

Vigs - didn't put a foot (or hand wrong)
Conroy - give him a chance in that position and he could become a modern day Ross McLaren
Keshi - can be very frustrating at times but a nicely taken goal
Woolery - if Wellens can find a way of getting the best out of him we will have a player on our hands. Is there anyone quicker in L2??

We always take good support to Northampton and yesterday was no exception (although I think our away support has always been good generally) and it was nice to see Wellens acknowledge it.

I certainly feel a lot better about the Club's prospects now than after the Col U game which, hopefully was my nadir in terms of supporting STFC.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 09:44:35 »

Exeter seem to think they are bringing 2000 on NYD. Can’t see it myself, but should be a good crowd/atmosphere.

Just stick it up Flitcroft’s arse on Saturday.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 10:10:24 »

Just stick it up Flitcroft’s arse on Saturday.
I'd rather not, thanks, but each to their own
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 10:55:08 »

I certainly feel a lot better about the Club's prospects now than after the Col U game which, hopefully was my nadir in terms of supporting STFC.

The question of prospects though is a relative term.... in our lowest ever finish season in Div 4 of 83/84, we had 2 fewer points at the same stage, but were through to the 3rd round of the cup and made it it the 4th.

Although Wellens is to be commended for his work so far, we still are at a historic low ebb, from which something will need to change, if we are to find a way back to our, what many would regard as rightful Div 3 status.

83/84, despite the lift from the cup run, defined nadir, with sub 2000 CG crowds at end of the season.  That situation came from a 3rd season in Div 4 with seemingly little prospect of improvement.  This time round our loyal hardcore is holding up pretty well, but we've now a horrible little 3 game run to test our resolve.... Mansfield and Exeter, who are flying, Grecians after a sticky patch and then Macc..... improving under Campbell, and a place we've a 100% losing record.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 11:01:09 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: