Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mansfield fans  (Read 8643 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 14:31:19 »

it's almost like having bigger budgets has an advantage

It's not just about the budget in Div 4, that's what makes it an interesting league, there are clubs who spend a bit, but the difference isn't so great, to completely distort it.

Hence Accy and Wycombe doing well last season on the back of managerial stability.... yet Spireites getting the management wrong, despite having a 6th place budget.

Presently Notts look to have discovered this.   Of the 24 in Div 4 most will be somewhere close to budget, but there'll always be a handful of outliers.

Cobblers for example are interesting... as they've players, like Jordan Turnbull, and Andy Williams who would be beyond our budget, and maybe Yaser Kasim, although I can't find anything on whether he's still on their wage bill. You'd expect them to be above us, but so far are not.

Reading what Wellens is saying in the Adver re the window, he's already flagging up that he's unlikely to get his chosen players, as they've been picked up by other clubs.... presumably word of mouth deals done in the background before contracts are signed.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 15:09:55 »

Reading what Wellens is saying in the Adver re the window, he's already flagging up that he's unlikely to get his chosen players, as they've been picked up by other clubs.... presumably word of mouth deals done in the background before contracts are signed.

Reading between the lines you mean? Wellens reference to "missing out" on some targets is down to the particular targets improving in performances "too much" and thus teams higher up the food chain are taking note/having a look.

Let us face it; If you're Jamie Nobody in a lowish Championship squad, not getting much look in and are on the radar of L1 Relegation, L2 Top 8 & L2 Middle teams then an injury happens/player pisses a manager off and you get a chance to start. You play well and either you start again or you've caught the attention of a few Champ Low - L1 Top 6 teams. If someone like Oldham comes in and there are offers from say Shrews or Portsmouth, the player is likely to choose the higher division team and in the interests of loan percentage, likely the club will choose the club more readily willing to pay a higher percentage (or all) of the wages. Of course there are many variables and some imponderables too.

To conclude, it's not really that the targets have been picked up yet but Wellens is warning that if a target has a chance to improve, at his parent club then naturally, there is a chance we could miss out to bigger fish.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 15:27:41 »

Reading between the lines you mean? 

Of course.... surely nobody takes most of what a gaffer says as literal, when it comes to recruitment/owner politics etc.  Hmmm
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 15:38:47 »

As soon as managers start talking about being in queues for players... rip it up and start again.

I'd rather that than Town trying to convince us that Luke Woolfenden was a two month fight for his signature.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 16:00:43 »

Of course.... surely nobody takes most of what a gaffer says as literal, when it comes to recruitment/owner politics etc.  Hmmm

No but I was assuming you were reading between the lines of the Adver? That's a slippery slope of interpretation if ever there was one.  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 16:02:44 »

it's almost like having bigger budgets has an advantage

Yep, every league finishes in budget order every season.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 16:06:19 »

As soon as managers start talking about being in queues for players... rip it up and start again.

I'd rather that than Town trying to convince us that Luke Woolfenden was a two month fight for his signature.

Agree in some respects but it's all relative depending on the targets being tracked. Some are worth the fight, some aren't. e.g I'd fight to get Nelson on a perm but wouldn't break the bank to get Alzate. Be disappointed but we have so many midfielders it would be a softer blow to let him return to his parent club. Great if we did though as he is a player worth developing. I have a similar feeling with Crazy. Can't live with him, can't live without him. He'll prob end up playing for Watford or Palace in the Prem/Champ in a few years.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 16:29:06 »

No but I was assuming you were reading between the lines of the Adver? That's a slippery slope of interpretation if ever there was one.  Hmmm

Why would I want to do that... I may be getting on a bit, but haven't completely lost my marbles.  The standard of Adver STFC hackery, is beyond woeful. It does serve some purpose in that you get a transcript of the gaffer's post match thoughts, neatly parcelled up to stretch out over the week. The journos though seem to have next to no idea about STFC.

It will be interesting to see if Jewell has anything to offer, presumably Wellens says I'd like a big strong boy up front and a proper left back, then it's over to PJ to find something.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 28, 2018, 16:35:52 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 17:11:38 »

It will be interesting to see if Jewell has anything to offer, presumably Wellens says I'd like a big strong boy up front and a proper left back, then it's over to PJ to find something.

Absolutely, I have no idea what it is but I think he will find us said players we are after. I still think it's logical that we'll sign Duffus from Oldham, he has the 3 way link with Jewell, Wellens and Hunt but is he really the big strong boy we need? I was thinking someone more in the Dean Windass, Kevin Davies mould. Not the best now, towards end of career but very irritating to play against. Soaks up everything and can handle a big strong L2 CB  Hmmm Who we actually want and who we might get though is everyone's debate.

Jay Emmanuel Thomas is a free agent and so is Leon Best (nearly recovered from his knee injury) one of them would be a handy big lad.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 17:41:09 »

Yep, every league finishes in budget order every season.
because that's exactly what I said isn't it.

advantage:

a condition or circumstance that puts one in a favourable or superior position.

hth
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, December 28, 2018, 22:29:03 »

Was going to this but cannot now. Swapped it for Exeter at home instead.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, December 29, 2018, 01:41:11 »

See Fernando Forestieri has been issued with an arrest warrant by a Mansfield court for racially aggravated harrassment, amongst other matters.... apparently occured after a pre season friendly v Flitcroft's mob... weird.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45435723
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: