Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grimsby v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 28551 times)
Combe Up

« Reply #150 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 12:09:54 »

So is Blundell Park east of, west of, or ON the Greenwich Meridian?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 12:24:19 »

So is Blundell Park east of, west of, or ON the Greenwich Meridian?

West
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #152 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 12:30:47 »

West
West of it by about 100m.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 12:40:25 »

I have been shouted down several times in the past about my lack of confidence with Vigs in goal.

No matter what you think of what he has done I think McCormick is a far better keeper all round than Vigs.

I’m in total agreement
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 13:58:58 »

I have been shouted down several times in the past about my lack of confidence with Vigs in goal.

No matter what you think of what he has done I think McCormick is a far better keeper all round than Vigs.
McCormick doesn't suit the way we want to play though, he's not very good with his feet, he's slow to distribute and his go to is the long punt which again isn't the way we now play. Against Woking it was noticeable how much he slowed things down, hoofed it long to Pryce and at 35 he isn't going to improve in any of those areas. Also Saturday is probably the only point Vigs has actually cost us a point this season, if you factor in Crawley and Forest Green he was outstanding and won us a couple of points.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #155 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 14:16:05 »

McCormick doesn't suit the way we want to play though, he's not very good with his feet, he's slow to distribute and his go to is the long punt which again isn't the way we now play. Against Woking it was noticeable how much he slowed things down, hoofed it long to Pryce and at 35 he isn't going to improve in any of those areas. Also Saturday is probably the only point Vigs has actually cost us a point this season, if you factor in Crawley and Forest Green he was outstanding and won us a couple of points.
I have seen every game (bar the Woking one) he has played for us and I honestly think his distribution is way better than Vigs, no he doesn't kick it as quickly as Vigs but it almost always finds its man.

He certainly comes out to claim crosses better and his shot stopping is at least as good as Vigs.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 14:21:02 »

I have seen every game (bar the Woking one) he has played for us and I honestly think his distribution is way better than Vigs, no he doesn't kick it as quickly as Vigs but it almost always finds its man.

He certainly comes out to claim crosses better and his shot stopping is at least as good as Vigs.
He kicks it long and straight yes but there's only so much you can do with a high ball even if it find it's man. We are all about ball on the deck now. Against Woking his kicking was terrible, almost shanked one towards goal in the first half, he's also pretty small for a keeper so some saves taller keepers make he physically couldn't get to.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #157 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 14:29:18 »

He is still 6 foot which isn't exactly short.

I do think he is a far better keeper than Vigs though, IMO.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 14:41:12 »

So far this season when LMc has been between the sticks we've gained 1.57 points a game on average... with Vigs in there we've averaged 1.46 a game.

If one or the other played the rest of the campaign and maintained their average we'd get a further 38 points with LMc in there and 35 with Vigs.

Not a whole lot of difference.... however either way we'd be nicely mid table, with LMc in,roughly the same as last season's 9th with Vigs 11th.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 14:41:39 »

3 or 4 inches in height is probably same again in reach though so a fair amount and Vigs is far more agile. Maybe McCormick was once but I don't think he is now, he's coming towards the end of his career. He was released by Plymouth and they currently can't even find a half competent keeper this year but their fans don't think releasing him was a mistake.
It's all about the 'sweeper keeper' now and that's far more Vigs than it is McCormick IMO.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 16:37:55 »

This,  100%,  Very little confidence in Vigs these days,  he maybe a shot stopper but can think of three cases recently where hes parried a ball when he should be pushing the ball out of play, each occasion picked up with ease by the opposition costing us a goal in each case.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 16:40:06 »

It's all about the 'sweeper keeper' now and that's far more Vigs than it is McCormick IMO.
Think that's fair enough.

But I suspect the issue will be resolved in January and we'll have to play McCormick ( which I'll never want to happen).
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 18:07:17 »

What does seem clear is that Vigs has less control over his area out of the two - this was evidenced ina  recent game when Taylor cleared a ball for a corner that was heading to Vigs and Vigs had clearly called for it (Taylor turned around and said sorry straight away).  Again, this weekend, he sort of came for a ball, realised he wasn't going to get it and just stood there while Nelson was awaiting a belting and almost handled it again.  The trust doesn't seem to be there and it can create confusion.  I don't think he is a bad keeper, just a developing one.  He is by no means as risky as the planks we had between the sticks last year after his strop/Flitcroft messing him about (whichever one is more accurate).  I don't think it is anywhere near as big a problem as the defending we had in the first 10 or so games.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Monday, December 17, 2018, 19:10:40 »

I really don’t understand all the hoo-hah. We’re so fortunate to have 2 such good keepers in L2.

It’d be Vigs every time for me, though. But the days where the team is announced and the first choice keeper is out which is followed by the dreaded feeling of having a bozo second string is a thing of the past.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: