Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grimsby v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 28718 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 19:00:38 »

Aargh, should have had a point from that at least.

One of those fine margin games.
Their second looked to come from nothing. Could LV have done better.
Bayo. Big chance missed.
Twine struggled to get into the game. Learning curve.

The consolation curry went down well. The thorough soaking, not so good.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 19:14:57 »

So assuming nowt v Numb and maybe 26 points from the next 23 games, we'd be looking at a 14th/15th place finish, pretty much the mid table slot the season has so far promised.

Sorry Reg but you've been spouting "relegation trapdoor" and "FL status at stake" all season, so now you're changing it to mid table. Why so positive? Or just covering your own back as per!  Wink That was my initial call and said something like "I'll take a look at it around game 26..". This was going on form since RW started, I think. Coupled with "should that form (of ultimately WDL) continue we'll be in a mid table battle with the likes of Oldham come Jan".

The trouble is Reg, you should never use past results to determine future ones but at least we can safely say your outlook is now more upward looking than downward. Those rose tints suits you. I think our home record v Cheltenham isn't that bad, so all this negative speak is quite a moot point.

If we have to use past results then taking out the one JPT game v them at home and in the league, we have;

12 Mar 2003   Swindon Town v Cheltenham Town   L   0-3   League Division 2
12 Feb 2008   Swindon Town v Cheltenham Town   W   3-0   League One
03 Mar 2009   Swindon Town v Cheltenham Town   D   2-2   League One
10 Mar 2012   Swindon Town v Cheltenham Town   W   1-0   League Two
10 Mar 2018   Swindon Town v Cheltenham Town   L   0-3   League Two

Lost twice, won twice, drawn once. Not quite the bogey side at home as some seem to be saying. Only a 40% lose rate. I've no idea why you would assume "nowt v Numb" Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 19:20:05 »

I've no idea why you would assume "nowt v Numb" Hmmm
Because he always assumes we'll lose against everyone?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 19:26:20 »

Because he always assumes we'll lose against everyone?

Ahh but does he?* He cleverly hints at a possible draw, with the chance of a win, that may present itself as a loss. Even then if lose and play well it's still a negative, totally disregarding the building and cohesion of a squad that the manager seems to have so far found some balance too. Yes, no one wants to lose (ahem) but as Batch intimated, I'd rather us lose playing well than lose playing like a team did under Luke Warm.

*Yep, he does.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 20:08:37 »

Sorry Reg but you've been spouting "relegation trapdoor" and "FL status at stake" all season, so now you're changing it to mid table. Why so positive? Or just covering your own back as per!  Wink That was my initial call and said something like "I'll take a look at it around game 26..". This was going on form since RW started, I think. Coupled with "should that form (of ultimately WDL) continue we'll be in a mid table battle with the likes of Oldham come Jan".

The trouble is Reg, you should never use past results to determine future ones but at least we can safely say your outlook is now more upward looking than downward. Those rose tints suits you. I think our home record v Cheltenham isn't that bad, so all this negative speak is quite a moot point.

If we have to use past results then taking out the one JPT game v them at home and in the league, we have;

12 Mar 2003   Swindon Town v Cheltenham Town   L   0-3   League Division 2
12 Feb 2008   Swindon Town v Cheltenham Town   W   3-0   League One
03 Mar 2009   Swindon Town v Cheltenham Town   D   2-2   League One
10 Mar 2012   Swindon Town v Cheltenham Town   W   1-0   League Two
10 Mar 2018   Swindon Town v Cheltenham Town   L   0-3   League Two

Lost twice, won twice, drawn once. Not quite the bogey side at home as some seem to be saying. Only a 40% lose rate. I've no idea why you would assume "nowt v Numb" Hmmm

All I ever do is look at the numbers look at the trends and try and arrive at some sort of conclusions.  Of course the perception with Numb is skewed by the abysmal away record. But even the 2 wins for them at the CG, should be viewed as something it took Oxfoird near on 50 years and 25 games to do.

So you will find that I talked of relegation after a historic run of poor home form in Div 4, dumped us at one point during the game v PV to about 5 points off the drop zone, it would be foolish to ignore that reality, similarly you will find I said that could be sorted by something like 4 wins in a row, we managed 3 and got the gap, which we now enjoy.   However that's all we've done, lifted the immediate drop threat and got a nice mid table perch.... you can see from the stats that despite our nice little run this is still the second worst 22 game in Div 4 season, it would likewise be foolish to ignore that.

The worst was 83/84, with 29 points, the season we achieved our lowest ever finish, since the formation oif Div 4 in 58.
smalltowngypsymassacre

« Reply #125 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 21:54:24 »

As a long time lurker, I personally think you talk a lot of sense and get an awful lot of unnecessary flack. It's bothered me for awhile. My advice is to ignore the naysayers and keep calling it as you see it. Over and out
smalltowngypsymassacre

« Reply #126 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 21:55:13 »

That was aimed at Reg by the way
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 22:36:20 »

As a long time lurker, I personally think you talk a lot of sense and get an awful lot of unnecessary flack. It's bothered me for awhile. My advice is to ignore the naysayers and keep calling it as you see it. Over and out

Welcome to the forum Regs' brother

I come from a land down-under
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 23:26:49 »

That’s the issue though. Reg doesn’t call it...

I have always had a lot of time for Reg & his opinions on football. He’s probably forgotten more than most people will ever know.

Add in the fact we are historically shit I can understand the negative outlook.
However, Reg appears so desperate to not be proved wrong he never commits to an opinion or any sort of prediction.

I think that’s what irks people.
If you think we’re in a relegation battle then just say it. Rather than talk about how the relegation battle in the southern league in 1879 was affected by the high pollen level in March

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 23:31:48 »

Of course, I could be right in my summation or completely wrong
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 23:53:16 »

I think Reg speaks the most sense on here, well, regarding the football anyway.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Sunday, December 16, 2018, 09:20:03 »

I get he's not everyone's cup of tea, but the Reg bashing by being a fake Reg is getting dull now. He's not going to be committal , give it up Wink
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #132 on: Sunday, December 16, 2018, 12:59:52 »

Thanks Berni for filling in Smiley I had my cousin arrive unexpectedly so still watched it but was unable to any comments/match action.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Sunday, December 16, 2018, 13:35:48 »

Any bloke who's got Zappa and Beefheart stood outside my old local as their avatar is alright by me  Pint
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Sunday, December 16, 2018, 13:55:41 »

Plowmans brother.....
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: