Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grimsby v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 28801 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 16:48:06 »

Fool

Still 4pts from the POs and 8pts from autos. Today was historically going to be a tough one. Probably deserved a point on measure.

6 of the bottom 7 all picked up points including wins for the bottom two. Bury lost, Colchester lost, Trannies lost.

Twat.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 16:55:17 »

Only heard bits while xmas shopping.

Mistake from Vigs for the winner, or harsh given weather?

Hey ho. Sounds like we competed well, so better than playing shit I suppose.

Actually playing well and losing is a pretty bad sign.... you want to be playing badly and winning.. still getting 4 points from Grimsby and Numb, in order to keep the upward momentum going was always hope over expectation.

With Notts and seemingly Macc winning, there'll be a few below us getting a bit of squeaky bum atm.  Numb looked to be on course until late on, and are a form side...  It would be sweet to put them in their place next up,
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 16:59:05 »

The Hoodoo continues.

After the last few games I have some belief that we will be ok this season.

Let's see if we can get a result against another Bogeyman next week.

You going? I need to break my hoodoo, haven't seen us win in nearly five years
Flashheart

« Reply #108 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 17:03:04 »

You going? I need to break my hoodoo, haven't seen us win in nearly five years

I'm not sure you should be allowed to go.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 17:04:16 »

Actually playing well and losing is a pretty bad sign.... you want to be playing badly and winning.. still getting 4 points from Grimsby and Numb, in order to keep the upward momentum going was always hope over expectation.

With Notts and seemingly Macc winning, there'll be a few below us getting a bit of squeaky bum atm.  Numb looked to be on course until late on, and are a form side...  It would be sweet to put them in their place next up,

If there's anything there we deserved a point. Gifted a penalty to them and Vigs should've parried out of the attackers path. Bit harsh but small disciplines cost us. I don't think there was an awful lot wrong with the performance. The weather didn't help.

The thing Wellens has in his locker to date is getting the lads to respond (they actually responded in game today). When we've lost under Wellens we've bounced back with a win.

We could probably field a team capable of beating barcelona and we wouldn't beat bloody Grimbeh. I don't think there's cause for concern.

Still 4pts off play offs and 8pts off auto, while 11pts from the Conference Black hole...so we ARE moving in the right direction.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 17:04:45 »

I'm not sure you should be allowed to go.

Anything is worth trying v Numb.... maybe 4D as ultimate Jonah in attendance might swing it.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 17:07:41 »

If Wellens can keep us performing at home n the league, you can set these types of outcomes aside.  A real lottery with the weather, pretty good overall performance.  Certainly had a better feel than some earlier season losses might have had.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 17:09:10 »

Actually playing well and losing is a pretty bad sign....

But it's better than playing badly and losing.

I'd take any kind of winning over any kind of losing any week. We all would, wouldn't we?!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 17:21:37 »

If Wellens can keep us performing at home n the league, you can set these types of outcomes aside.  A real lottery with the weather, pretty good overall performance.  Certainly had a better feel than some earlier season losses might have had.

Yes, it actually seems like most of the players now know what their role is meant to be. Even within their limitations. We seem to have a largely settled XI. Defence generally ok/good and CBs learning and developing every game. In fact we must remember that both Knoyle & Ian are developing too. It's a young defence but going in the right way. Midfield while changeable is our most experienced area (Keepers aside) and we seem to have a settled system there. The biggest question mark still lingers over our "striker crisis" which I use loosely. Would we look to move Richards on. I think two will go to bring in suitable replacement. Possibly Richards out & Bayo returned? Harsh on Bayo but we can't really accommodate him and makes sense to bring a perm in (Duffus?). Could be the big decision to move on Dave also. That would enable us chance to look for a serious LB. Someone mentioned one the other day around 24 years old? That could do us, if they slot in alright.

Certainly not concerned about the R word like some. We should be targeting 7th, it's only 4pts away.

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 17:22:34 »

But it's better than playing badly and losing.

I'd take any kind of winning over any kind of losing any week. We all would, wouldn't we?!

This.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 17:37:57 »

Still 4pts from the POs and 8pts from autos. Today was historically going to be a tough one. Probably deserved a point on measure.

6 of the bottom 7 all picked up points including wins for the bottom two. Bury lost, Colchester lost, Trannies lost.

Twat.

Are you Shaun Hodgetts in disguise ?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 17:50:00 »

Yes, it actually seems like most of the players now know what their role is meant to be. Even within their limitations. We seem to have a largely settled XI. Defence generally ok/good and CBs learning and developing every game. In fact we must remember that both Knoyle & Ian are developing too. It's a young defence but going in the right way. Midfield while changeable is our most experienced area (Keepers aside) and we seem to have a settled system there. The biggest question mark still lingers over our "striker crisis" which I use loosely. Would we look to move Richards on. I think two will go to bring in suitable replacement. Possibly Richards out & Bayo returned? Harsh on Bayo but we can't really accommodate him and makes sense to bring a perm in (Duffus?). Could be the big decision to move on Dave also. That would enable us chance to look for a serious LB. Someone mentioned one the other day around 24 years old? That could do us, if they slot in alright.

Certainly not concerned about the R word like some. We should be targeting 7th, it's only 4pts away.

To give you some sort of context on future outcomes.... next week is half way through, lose as often happens v Numb and we're on 30 points... the norm once the window opens under Power, is for the second half points  haul to be fewer than the first half. 2 reasons for this, 1, loan players get recalled. 2, the one out one in policy doesn't really strengthen the squad  for the attrition ahead on tired bodies.

Comparison at the same stage to other Div 4 seasons, shows that only 83/84, which ended in our lowest ever league position, had we fewer points. That being 29 compared to the present 30

So assuming nowt v Numb and maybe 26 points from the next 23 games, we'd be looking at a 14th/15th place finish, pretty much the mid table slot the season has so far promised.

Of course we've a new D o F, so that might help, but whoever it is, will still have to work within Power's budget.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 18:18:49 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 17:54:20 »

The way I see it is this.

secure Nelson until end of season.
get Dave fit.
Get lucky/scout a good forward.

do that and we have a playoff spot shout.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 18:35:21 »

The way I see it is this.

secure Nelson until end of season.
get Dave fit.
Get lucky/scout a good forward.

do that and we have a playoff spot shout.

If you look at the numbers, it's pretty rare to be able to elevate up the 6 or 7 slots, from about the half way point... of course it can happen, but for us is very unusual, to finish a season strongly. Probably the only example would be 88/89, when like now we were on 30 points after 22, but only losing 4 in the remaining 24, saw us nick the final PO slot.

That's the sort of thing required, but that was a side under Macari that was strong, with 2 promotions already in the bag.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Saturday, December 15, 2018, 18:42:26 »

Are you Shaun Hodgetts in disguise ?

Well we're closer to the fucking play-offs and autos than relegation. Sod this, I'm getting my ball and going home  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: