Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: U23 players in the EFL  (Read 7234 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 11:05:22 »

Of course not all loan players are under 23.

Just curious because for us personally it’s a bit of a waste if all those minutes are going to other teams U23s (I know they aren’t)

It’s like renting a house vs buying a house. Not ROI is you’re renting
Absolutely true, here is a list of the teams above with their relevent league position in their own table and the number of U23 players that are loans over the period up to 1st January.

17th Brentford, 0
13th Swansea, 1
11th Crewe, 1
 2nd Barnsley, 1
 8th Colchester, 2
21st Oxford, 3
17th Walsall, 3
5th Charlton, 4
24th Wimbledon, 4
 4th FGR, 4
13th Swindon, 4
14th Scunthorpe, 4
 2nd Mansfield, 5
11th Coventry, 5
15th Oldham, 5
18th Rochdale, 5
23rd Macclesfield, 6

I think it proves there is little correlation at all between loan players and league position either for the better or the worse, but still an interesting stat.

I would guess that stats would be more relevent if done on the Premier League where the more experienced sides seem to prosper much more than in the lower leagues.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 11:58:29 »

Absolutely true, here is a list of the teams above with their relevent league position in their own table and the number of U23 players that are loans over the period up to 1st January.

17th Brentford, 0
13th Swansea, 1
11th Crewe, 1
 2nd Barnsley, 1
 8th Colchester, 2
21st Oxford, 3
17th Walsall, 3
5th Charlton, 4
24th Wimbledon, 4
 4th FGR, 4
13th Swindon, 4
14th Scunthorpe, 4
 2nd Mansfield, 5
11th Coventry, 5
15th Oldham, 5
18th Rochdale, 5
23rd Macclesfield, 6

I think it proves there is little correlation at all between loan players and league position either for the better or the worse, but still an interesting stat.

I would guess that stats would be more relevent if done on the Premier League where the more experienced sides seem to prosper much more than in the lower leagues.

Doesn't that show the majority of teams with say 3-5 loans aren't doing so well?  Exceptions being Charlton and our 2 ex gaffers..  it would be useful to know the positions played. Back in the summer I pointed out the error of having loan kids in key spine positions in the side, and got the usual negatives from those who felt nothing wrong with the strategy. 

Interestingly Wellens then said it wasn't a good policy, so at least a couple of his loans have experience, even if 3 haven't.

Going to be interesting to see what his side looks like on Saturday....
Peter Venkman

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 12:12:37 »

Rather ironically it looks like one of our loans, Woolfenden, won't be playing anyway due to injury.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 12:28:51 »

Rather ironically it looks like one of our loans, Woolfenden, won't be playing anyway due to injury.

Means Wellens can pick the other 5 if he wants...
Peter Venkman

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 12:30:11 »

Means Wellens can pick the other 5 if he wants...
It does, could mean Conroy starting Saturday hence freeing up the other 5 loanees for possible selection.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 14:28:27 »

Doesn't that show the majority of teams with say 3-5 loans aren't doing so well?  Exceptions being Charlton and our 2 ex gaffers..  it would be useful to know the positions played. Back in the summer I pointed out the error of having loan kids in key spine positions in the side, and got the usual negatives from those who felt nothing wrong with the strategy.  

Interestingly Wellens then said it wasn't a good policy, so at least a couple of his loans have experience, even if 3 haven't.

The sample data provided has an R squared value of 0.0286 - which is essentially saying, as Venks did, no correlation whatsoever.  The sample may be a poor sample for all I know, but the only conclusion that can be drawn is one does not relate to, let alone cause, the other.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 15:49:43 »

TBF Dickinson only played there 5 times and that was 10 years ago now.

Yes mate, he would've likely been a mainstay but got injured and I think Higginbottom replaced him. He was loved at Stoke. My sister's fella is mates with him (and no it's not a Sid Nelson's Dad, scenario), he has quite a story. From high Prem wages (£20k pw) to L2 wages (£2.5k pw) in 10 years, is quite the relative fall. People will say "it's still a good wage for doing something you love" and they are right but all our lifestyles are relative. If we were earning £1k pw and that dropped to £100 pw, I'd ask anyone how they would manage that severe a drop. The other angle is, that a footballer should be prepared for their own "exit strategy" per se, as they know it's only a 20year career at best.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: