Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Buying property now  (Read 22159 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 11:23:55 »

Whats Witney like these days (as a former Witney lad who has not set foot there for 7 years)?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 11:25:09 »

Yeah but its Didcot........

The rail link between Swindon and Didcot is pretty decent these days... trains about every 15 mins, and the new Hitachi jobbers, only take about 16 mins, and that's without electric yet.

OF could hole up there and be at the CG in half an hour.

Went to play on the trains at the Railway Centre just before the clocks went back..... worth 4 hours of anybody's time.

OK I've a senior railcard, which helps, but I did idly muse as to whether there was a more expensive next stop journey on the GB network  Hmmm

Sort of thing Talk Talk used to be good for, before his Ells stalking did for him. 
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 16:42:27 »

Didcot is a total dump and I wouldn't move there unless I absolutely had to.

Witney is decent but the A40 (road to and from Oxford & Witney) is an absolute disaster - has been for years, and will continue to be. They've touted new park & rides, new bus lanes, a tram, widening all or parts to allow more dual carriageway instead of single, but none of it has happened and would take years.

Abingdon is alright, I was interested in this one there:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67559365.html

It's a nice enough town.

I had my offer of £170k rejected this afternoon. Agent says they want at least "In the nineties" for it (they bought for £189k). Going to put another in tomorrow probably.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 19:32:49 by mystical_goat » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, December 13, 2018, 18:50:49 »

Didcot is a total dump and I wouldn't move there unless I absolutely had to.

Witney is decent but the A40 (road to and from Oxford & Witney) is an absolute disaster - has been for years, and will continue to be. They've touted new park & rides, new bus lanes, a tram, widening all or parts to allow more dual carriageway instead of single, but none of it has happened and would take years.

Abingdon is alright, I was interested in this one there:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67559365.html

It's a nice enough town.

I had my offer of £170k rejected this afternoon. Agent says they want at least "In the nineties" for it (they bought for £189k). Going to put another in tomorrow probably, ten k more.
Bloody hell, we paid less than that for our 3 bed detached (with big garden) bungalow here, with ok train access to London. You need to get yourself up north....
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 07:29:41 »

As far as I’m aware mine have been the only bids on the house. £170k was swiftly rejected within hours but on Friday I put in an offer of £185k at about 9am. The agent rang me at 5pm Friday to say that she wanted until tomorrow (Saturday) or Monday at the latest to think about it and seek advice from her father. I had heard nothing so rang the office yesterday afternoon, to be told that someone would call me back swiftly. I’ve not heard a peep. Why?!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 08:27:51 »

Because. You'll need to chase agents, say you need a response by close of business on Wednesday.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 08:49:55 »

I had heard nothing so rang the office yesterday afternoon, to be told that someone would call me back swiftly. I’ve not heard a peep. Why?!

45% Estate Agents are shit
45% Estate agents are trying to drag up the price.
10% Owner dragging feet as they have another viewing

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 10:38:25 »

tbf, it is supposed to be their job to drag up the price. 

they are probably having a final trawl or attempt to elicit a counter bid to your's.

Don't make threats you are not prepared to implement (Ie my offer will be withdrawn at noon tomorrow) but you could feign interest with them in another property by asking for a viewing - or better a second viewing?
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 11:04:31 »

They’ve now made a counter-offer of £194,750 to my £185,000.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 11:26:14 »

W@nkers.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 11:28:05 »

Brilliant for the sellers, though. I’m waiting for our first offer.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 11:52:45 »

Out of interest, you should be able to check online what the sellers really did pay for the property, ie the 189,500 business.

Unless this property ticked all your boxes, I'd be inclined to keep looking rather than consider chasing this price upwards.

It probably is the exception but don't discount the possibility that a counter-offer may not be genuine.  The "leap" here makes me feel that is unlikely to be the case now but it is remarkable how interest and even counter offers materialise as soon as you put in an offer.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 13:03:04 »

A house/property is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

You set a budget, if it exceeds that you find another.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 13:10:13 »

A house/property is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

You set a budget, if it exceeds that you find another.

As an aside to this we have another place that we rent out ('cos we are capitalist bastards like that!) out of the blue we got a call from the managing agent saying that someone had contacted them to see if we wanted to sell, making a big deal that they were a cash buyer etc etc.

We are indifferent, but said well let them make us an offer and we shall see... they came back the same day and offered £119k, based on neighbouring sales its probably worth c.£145k+ we lauighed and said if he wanted to be serious we might consider and came back with £135k.

There are some bloody odd people out there, remember its not even on the market so its not like we are a willing seller, Homes under the hammer has a lot to answer for, too many people thinking they can make a killing by playing bobby big bollocks. My other half was offended, I just think the guy make a bellend of himself. 
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 13:11:14 »

Hmmm
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 15:17:30 by horlock07 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: