Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paul Jewell appointed DOF  (Read 32671 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 11:39:41 »

His son was here as Chief Scout too a couple of years back.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 12:04:44 »

His son was here as Chief Scout too a couple of years back.
And look how well that went!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 12:36:38 »

Was sceptical after the Sherwood debacle but the fact Wellens seems to be behind it and other posters' comments such as the experience Jewell could bring and the attractiveness of the name to potential signings are all good.

Never too sure about the DOF role though, especially at a minnow club like our's, but cautiously optimistic.

Might change my mind after the Grimsby and 'Nam results  Wink
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 12:42:54 »

Sounds like a positive step that may help Wellens, especially as he is inexperienced and Jewell isn't so will help to spot the decent players from the crocs that Wellens may struggle with to start with, but the chief scout is also inexperienced so with Jewell in the middle it should be positive.

Then when things get tight Wellens will hopefully be able to use Jewell as a sounding board....time will tell though
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 12:42:58 »

And look how well that went!
Well he works for Brighton now so obviously did something right.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 12:54:02 »

This all seems perfectly sensible. From Jewell痴 perspective, I am sure most of it can be done on the phone, from where he lives without uprooting. He痴 working with a known quantity - and it puts his name back in the media and speaking to people who could possibly employ him full time. From ours, it may open doors that were otherwise shut. It would be interesting to know if he値l be on the training pitch - perhaps not, and perhaps that is a good thing - let痴 Wellens be his own man. Win win.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 12:57:48 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 13:20:11 »

Seems like a good move all round, Jewell has experience and can help Wellens and Hunt, Jewell obviously knows about the club already having had his son work with us fairly successfully (he wouldn't have got the job at Brighton if he wasn't), Jewell also knows Power quite well too.

Heres hoping we see the benefits on the pitch with Jewell identifying positions that need strengthening and signing them.

Then again it seems I am far too positive about it than most Town fans appear to be, I guess Power could have brought in Alex Ferguson and some fans would moan hes too old, out of touch with the new game etc etc etc.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 13:38:38 »

Then again it seems I am far too positive about it than most Town fans appear to be, I guess Power could have brought in Alex Ferguson and some fans would moan hes too old, out of touch with the new game etc etc etc.
To be fair JJ, most of the comments I have seen all seem to be pretty positive. Which makes a welcome change.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 13:39:56 »

To be fair JJ, most of the comments I have seen all seem to be pretty positive. Which makes a welcome change.
Not on the Swindon facebook pages!

Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 13:42:10 »

Not on the Swindon facebook pages!
Ah, I avoid them for obvious reasons. Even the adver comments section seems positive though.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 13:50:02 »

Ah, I avoid them for obvious reasons. Even the adver comments section seems positive though.
Just a couple on 1 page.

Why?
Wellens is doing okay, I'd rather see the budget go on the January transfers he needs

Is it 2005?

Not worked as a manager since 2012, never worked as a DoF.
Is this a way of finding jobs for mates? What exactly can Jewell teach Wellens when he痴 had only fleeting involvement with football over the last six years?
Tim Sherwood Mark 2.

Just another Job for the boys ... Tactics Tim all over again

Another useless plonker in same role as another sher wood

In answer to post 1, the playing budget is different than the non playing budget, they don't come out of the same pot so thats irrelevant.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 13:59:05 »

Seems like a good move all round, Jewell has experience and can help Wellens and Hunt, Jewell obviously knows about the club already having had his son work with us fairly successfully (he wouldn't have got the job at Brighton if he wasn't), Jewell also knows Power quite well too.

Heres hoping we see the benefits on the pitch with Jewell identifying positions that need strengthening and signing them.

Let's face it, cynicism is hardly surprising given Power's last venture into DoFland.  On the surface TT looked to have some credit in the bank. Watching Spurs the other day, the pundit mentioned how TT deserved some credit for showing faith and developing Harry Kane.

Maybe Jewell will turn into our Barry Fry.... it's estimated that Fry has made about 20 mill or so on transfers in his time as Posh DoF.  Some of that he'll have had for his troiubles, but some will have gone back into keeping the club viable in Div 3, something we should but currently aren't capable of doing.  So let's hope PJ is up to it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 14:08:19 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 14:54:10 »

I get my wish of a few weeks ago...albeit I知 not sure whether Jewell will spend much time on the training pitch. Excellent appointment.

Hunt as chief cone gatherer is an interesting one....I had hoped for Paul Jewell, a proper football man, but given Power has paid off two contracts I think I was always being slightly optimistic.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 15:03:09 »

I get my wish of a few weeks ago...albeit I知 not sure whether Jewell will spend much time on the training pitch. Excellent appointment.

Can I just point out this must have been Chang Chang rather than Reg Chang as I wouldn't have wanted Jewell anywhere near cone collecting.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 15:03:20 »

I get my wish of a few weeks ago...albeit I知 not sure whether Jewell will spend much time on the training pitch.
In his first post match interview after the Carlisle defeat he said he was working on bringing in a very experienced coach to assist in training, I think he could well be involved too in training, unless Wellens was talking about another experienced coach.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 15:05:17 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: