Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC V Newport County FC  (Read 47205 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #285 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 18:46:49 »

No, what TAFKAA means is that in April 86 when we went to Mansfield and won promotion with about 4,000 odd Town fans there the Notts old bill were very generous with their batoning of innocent Town fans, many of the police were full of anger after the miners strike and vented a lot of that anger at Town fans. A great day out spoiled for a lot of Swindon fans by the police heavy handed policing. I was nearly belted on the head by one of them that day myself but ducked and my mate got hit!
The town fans didn't really help themselves that day. That was one hell of a mob up there winding up the police.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 18:54:13 »

Enjoyed the game.  Great result.  Draw would probably have been fair but will take it.

Went in CGH before game for first time in ages.  Quite an improvement.

Someone asked after match if we've ever had a game with strong wind blowing towards the town end.  Between 5 of us we couldn't remember one.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 20:12:37 »

No, what TAFKAA means is that in April 86 when we went to Mansfield and won promotion with about 4,000 odd Town fans there the Notts old bill were very generous with their batoning of innocent Town fans, many of the police were full of anger after the miners strike and vented a lot of that anger at Town fans. A great day out spoiled for a lot of Swindon fans by the police heavy handed policing. I was nearly belted on the head by one of them that day myself but ducked and my mate got hit!

Cheers PV and I like the acronym used for Aud there - TAFKAA! Fantastic! Yes, it's likely that it wouldn't have mattered who the fans were that day, the old bill around that time (as I understand it from relatives and older friends alike) were up for giving a shoeing to anyone who merely made eye contact with them, unfortunately in that area it happened to be Town fans. They wouldn't be able to get away with it today, in the manner that they did then. Much was the culture of football during the 80s though, it was easy enough for the bacon to fob it off as gangs, thus "justifiable".

Hope you're well mate? Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 21:05:59 »

Next three games are all against teams below us. Grimsby A, Nam H, Northampton A. All winnable and should we manage to do that will catapult us well up into the P.O. zone. The one after these three is A @ Mr. Loyalties cesspit on 29/12 NY day sees us up against The Grecians at home so come 5.00 PM, fingers crossed we could start the new year on a massive roll. Then again it is Swindon i’m talking about.

I’d certainly never ever claim a match against Cheltenham as winnable.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #289 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 21:17:24 »

Cheers PV and I like the acronym used for Aud there - TAFKAA! Fantastic! Yes, it's likely that it wouldn't have mattered who the fans were that day, the old bill around that time (as I understand it from relatives and older friends alike) were up for giving a shoeing to anyone who merely made eye contact with them, unfortunately in that area it happened to be Town fans. They wouldn't be able to get away with it today, in the manner that they did then. Much was the culture of football during the 80s though, it was easy enough for the bacon to fob it off as gangs, thus "justifiable".

Hope you're well mate? Smiley
You are very welcome mate, yep all good ta Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 21:35:45 »

I’d certainly never ever claim a match against Cheltenham as winnable.
Cheesy Clap
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 21:50:00 »

No seriously. Not a Regism this time.

Our record against them is diabolical.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 22:04:37 »

at least it's at home, our record is slightly better at home
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #293 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 22:07:32 »

For whatever reason it is awful, they really are a bogey team with just 2 wins against them and 2 draws in 12 games since they entered the league in 2002. Both of those coming at home.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 22:23:23 »

at least it's at home, our record is slightly better at home

Er, but I may attend  Foot In Mouth
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 23:06:20 »

No seriously. Not a Regism this time.

previous results really should be irrelevant each new season though. 

in derby games it sometimes adds more to the result if its a winless record but against everyone else in these leagues it obviously really doesn't matter and has no influence.

high player turnover in the lower leagues and different managers. we should be looking at cheltenham as exactly what they are. just a team in 21st place playing away from home with a terrible away record.

Eisa dicked us at the CG last season. A similar player to Woolery so hopefully we have the advantage this time round!
Combe Up

« Reply #296 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 05:11:23 »

The town fans didn't really help themselves that day. That was one hell of a mob up there winding up the police.

The OB didn't help things by pulling over dozens of STFC coaches & trannies a few miles outside of Mansfield before the game & insisting on throwing away any booze on board unless it was drunk NOW!

That meant the usually mild-mannered Town fans turned into a tanked-up threat to what the OB saw as law & order.

I personally had a great day & enjoyed the celebrations.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=CET0cjqe&id=C218CE469524ADEAA2C66F6CF2FF7F3857EB3531&thid=OIP.CET0cjqeATZSsuMh-WB_cQEgDY&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.picclickimg.com%2fd%2fl400%2fpict%2f222733659495_%2fSwindon-Town-Football-Club-nothing-Is-Impossible-Book.jpg&exph=300&expw=400&q=nothing+is+impossible+swindon&simid=608006392197023930&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 09:29:25 »

in derby games it sometimes adds more to the result if its a winless record but against everyone else in these leagues it obviously really doesn't matter and has no influence.

high player turnover in the lower leagues and different managers. we should be looking at cheltenham as exactly what they are. just a team in 21st place playing away from home with a terrible away record.

Eisa dicked us at the CG last season. A similar player to Woolery so hopefully we have the advantage this time round!

Yep it’s a statistically anomaly and nothing more.

History will have no effect on what happens in the game at all, the manager and most of the players have had no part in said bad run.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 09:33:40 »

Oddly, I couldn’t agree more with what you said.

Yet also oddly, I don’t expect us to beat them because they are a bogey side.

Totally illogical yet also fairly logical at the same time.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Monday, December 10, 2018, 09:36:07 »

Of course when I say I can’t see us winning, we might win if we don’t lose or draw  Hmmm
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: