Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC V Newport County FC  (Read 47512 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #270 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 10:56:59 »

Match report from a Newport fan, pretty decent summing up other than getting a couple of players names wrong, such as Woolery crossing for Woolery to score the first goal and calling Iandolo as Landolo.

https://medium.com/@MarkVickery4/stuttering-away-form-problem-for-county-96e164a4278

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #271 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 11:05:40 »

A couple of comments about the game on the Exiles forum'

We played well second half today. I think we deserved a draw but it wasn’t to be.

It was game dominated by the conditions today - very strong wind first half that meant County had real difficulty getting out of their half and then the wind wasn't quite as strong second half when County had the advantage of it. I doubt it's an isolated phenomena at the County Ground as the layout of the ground looked like it was based on a wind tunnel, hence Swindon possibly have an advantage in knowing how to play such conditions effectively.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 11:06:59 »

Match report from a Newport fan, pretty decent summing up other than getting a couple of players names wrong, such as Woolery crossing for Woolery to score the first goal and calling Iandolo as Landolo.

https://medium.com/@MarkVickery4/stuttering-away-form-problem-for-county-96e164a4278

People on this forum do it with Iandolo! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #273 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 11:08:49 »

People on this forum do it with Iandolo! Smiley
I always, probably wrongly, pressume they do it ironically to deliberately annoy Smiley

REDBUCK

« Reply #274 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 11:15:14 »

Wrexham seemed to have joined in the game as well during the first half.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 12:05:59 »

So, now we’re 11th and looking upwards. There are, I reckon, 4 clubs above us who are heading downwards - Exeter, Stevenage, FGR and Newport andTranmere have been wobbly lately.

POs are there for the taking.

Looking upwards is certainly preferable to looking downwards but WB has got it right, take it each match as it comes.  So onto Grimsby, at least it's not a Tuesday night, but our record there is one win in 51 years.

I think it's something to do with playing on the east side of the country, especially if it's near the North Sea.  I'm inclined to think that our record against sides like HPool, Darlo, MBoro, Sunderland, Newcastle, Hull, Norwich, Ipswich, Sarfend, Gills isn't too clever on their dungheaps.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 14:14:09 »

Looking upwards is certainly preferable to looking downwards but WB has got it right, take it each match as it comes.  So onto Grimsby, at least it's not a Tuesday night, but our record there is one win in 51 years.

I think it's something to do with playing on the east side of the country, especially if it's near the North Sea.  I'm inclined to think that our record against sides like HPool, Darlo, MBoro, Sunderland, Newcastle, Hull, Norwich, Ipswich, Sarfend, Gills isn't too clever on their dungheaps.

Next three games are all against teams below us. Grimsby A, Nam H, Northampton A. All winnable and should we manage to do that will catapult us well up into the P.O. zone. The one after these three is A @ Mr. Loyalties cesspit on 29/12 NY day sees us up against The Grecians at home so come 5.00 PM, fingers crossed we could start the new year on a massive roll. Then again it is Swindon i’m talking about.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 15:28:36 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Combe Up

« Reply #277 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 14:17:01 »

GO TO MANSFIELD
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 14:46:35 »

GO TO MANSFIELD

Old skool graffito.... County Road bridge.

LL will be better off going there rather than Notts on Boxing Day, if he wants to watch Town.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 16:48:11 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 15:32:40 »

Old skool grafitto.... County Road bridge.

LL will be better off going there rather than Notts on Boxing Day, if he wants to watch Town.

Your attempt at humour/sarcasm is as good as your match day predictions. For those who are thinking WTF. I have amended N. County to Northampton.  

FYI P l o w m a n I probably won’t be going to any of them, same goes for your doppelgänger Smeeton.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 16:07:32 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 15:57:27 »

GO TO MANSFIELD
Hopefully the Notts Constabulary aren’t quite so free and easy with their truncheons.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 16:40:20 »

Then comes a sublime pass from Doughty and a calm finish.
It's that extra bit of quality that could still see us have a very good season.

That second goal was straight out of FutSal match. Tight threaded pass, quick drop to the side with equally synchronised quick feet and then a calmness to still lift it past the defender. Really was a thing of beauty.

Had their forward controlled better near the end though, he would've put it away for an undeserved 2-2.

Yet again, despite the conditions it felt like another game of football. Nice that Wellens seems to have brought the football back and more importantly, when Town have lost, they've responded with a win. Also when we win, he's still looking for improvements.

Maybe, just maybe this could be the start of something decent. January is massive.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 16:58:11 »

Hopefully the Notts Constabulary aren’t quite so free and easy with their truncheons.

Umm if that's a euphemism then no, they aren't.

If it's a direct query then yes, however 29th December is a more limbo time of year, most have let off steam with too much family time at a Boxing Day fixture and many are taking a breather ready for NYE.

Whilst it may be a fruity affair inside the OneCall Arena/Field Mill. I doubt it will be much else anywhere after. Stags have a lot of younger fans (late teens - mid twenties) that are mostly bark and no bite. In fact Mansfield now is generally on the whole not too bad for a nondescript north midlands town. They are after all, just a very small team in Nottingham.

I notice that Mr. Flitcroft says his team "destroyed Notts County". Beating a team in a relegation battle (which they indeed are) 2-0 at home is hardly destroying. It shows the difference in manager between Wellens and the former. One believes he is better than he is, while the other just constantly wants improvement, even after we could rightly attribute "destroyed" to the win v Stevenage. As time goes on - I'm beginning to like this Wellens fellas attitude and approach. I hope it stays fresh for a while longer Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman

« Reply #283 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 18:33:41 »

Umm if that's a euphemism then no, they aren't.

If it's a direct query then yes, however 29th December is a more limbo time of year, most have let off steam with too much family time at a Boxing Day fixture and many are taking a breather ready for NYE.
No, what TAFKAA means is that in April 86 when we went to Mansfield and won promotion with about 4,000 odd Town fans there the Notts old bill were very generous with their batoning of innocent Town fans, many of the police were full of anger after the miners strike and vented a lot of that anger at Town fans. A great day out spoiled for a lot of Swindon fans by the police heavy handed policing. I was nearly belted on the head by one of them that day myself but ducked and my mate got hit!

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Sunday, December 9, 2018, 18:43:44 »

‘Maggie Thatcher’s Blue and White Army’

Fucking thugs
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: