Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC V Newport County FC  (Read 48114 times)
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 18:23:16 »

Hey Rob T , I’m now living abroad so wondered what the coverage is like on the live Games . Is it expensive and worth it?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 18:23:50 »

Think Doughty is going to be crucial - if he can continue to regain his match fitness and get a run of games under his belt, then we have the key to success.  He creates chances, either for other or himself.  Also, Woolery showed some potential today, but he did that against Exeter at home last season I think.  If we can get him playing on the shoulder and Doughty picking passes, with the fullbacks offering a crossing threat and either Adebayo on for or a new forward in there, we have great options at this level.

Brown was nearly on to this, early in the season, but went down some blind alleys and squandered a chance for us to be further up the table by now.  Based on Wellens' four league games, the signs suggest to me the Play Offs are well within reach, maybe more if he can improve a few areas in January.  The only blip seems to have been him using the old system, since then  shape has developed which looks very promising.  And while out defence looks like a Div 4 defence at times, it doesn't look like we ready to ship three at a moments notice anymore.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 18:25:36 »

Hey Rob T , I’m now living abroad so wondered what the coverage is like on the live Games . Is it expensive and worth it?

It was about $150 for the entire year, which I think is pretty good value.  The past few weeks it has been pretty good in terms of quality.  They do have some issues with linking audio, but seem to have improved that now.  The video quality has been much better this season.  If we didn't support Swindon it would be excellent value for money!
normy

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 18:26:12 »

Good to see Dunne getting credit on here.  I liked the way he talked to, and encouraged, the younger players today.

The game was good to watch, and the crowd round me seemed very appreciative of our attacking play.

ust be the oldest
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 18:28:21 »

Think that's fair enough, now we've edged into the top half. Today was important... grind out 3 points at the CG in difficult conditions against a typical Div 4 rugged outfit.  However the challenges come thick and fast, and the next 2 are huge... come through these with say 4 points and we can start to get excited.  Grimsby away, a traditional graveyard one win since 67; then Numb.

Can we start to say we are over our mediocre-disastrous home form now (in the league), as Wellens has 2 home wins from 3 (all league) in his tenure so far?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 18:31:42 »

Good to see Dunne getting credit on here.  I liked the way he talked to, and encouraged, the younger players today.

The game was good to watch, and the crowd round me seemed very appreciative of our attacking play.

He is a limited footballer, not too smart with the ball and a bit of headless chicken at times, but he has energy and can be very direct.  Brown had managed to turn him around, and Wellens seems to be able to exert the best out of his talents - he acts as the driver and the wheels for Doughty.  He gets beat by decent turns quite easily, but he'll run back and get a tackle in still.  He'll still be likely to pass a throw in he receives back into touch, but he'll get the drop downs when we are attacking and win back possession, something very few others can achieve.  He's a point and direct player, and we seem to be pointing and directing him well right now.  he is also providing consistency in performance, so you can rely on him doing the things you want him to be doing.  
REDBUCK

« Reply #216 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 18:32:22 »

Just back, really enjoyed that. We look a completely different side under Wellens, more positivity and purpose.
Apart from the football on show the other pleasing thing was how the crowd got behind the team, didn't hear much negativity at all round me; a nice change from the norm.

Lancashire got a few customary boos
Flashheart

« Reply #217 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 18:33:08 »

Likewise Ian, who struggled a lot today

Iandolo? He did struggle at times but showed he has talent at others. Could be an exciting player if he can fix his flaws, most of which seem to be down to decision making and positioning.

I can see him going out on loan once we get some replacements in the window. There's a player in there, hopefully he'll come good with more experience.

What kind of name is Iandolo anyway? Is it Welsh or something?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 18:35:37 »

Iandolo looks good when we are in control, on the front foot and he has a wicked cross on him.  He looks a bit at sea when the pressure comes on and loses his starting position quite frequently.  You'd say he would improve with a run of games, so we should probably stick with him, but that is exactly where you want either a central defender or the holding midfielder to talk him through it more often.  I don;t see that happening much.  Hopefully we continue to press on other teams and we get more of the good than the bad.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 18:59:14 »

They'd shut up if enough people gave them a proper bollocking. Gutless cretins.
Rest assured, the few behind me got a mouthful
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:00:20 »

2 very well taken goals here

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11575462/swindon-2-1-newport
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:02:48 »

Rest assured, the few behind me got a mouthful

Well done. You need backup to make them feel isolated though.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:03:44 »

I think with Ian is that we've been led to believe that he's an out and out FB. It's clear to anyone with limited knowledge that - he isn't. His position is suited to higher up the field, more as a LWB or even more advanced as a LW. It's just at present we don't quite have the luxury to play him where properly suited. This is why it is important we buy/loan an out and out LB and Ian will, I believe flourish in an advanced role (where he doesn't have to worry about doing as much defending). I would say likewise for Knoyle (except he is a much better player than Ian), he enjoys playing the high pressing, overlapping role. Much like Nathan Byrne used to when here.

Would like to see us make both Sid & the Woolf permanent in Jan. They will only get better. Woolf the slightly more technical CB and Sid the never say die old fashioned one. They compliment well. Tough call but if Dunne stays consistent on a run of games and with Doughty looking back to fitness, this could be the door for Diagorouga in Jan. His wages alone would likely free up for the said LB needed. We simply have too many CMs on the books.

Finally, of course we do need a striker still. Even if Woolery stays fit and goes on a run we will still need competition. Richards I think also needs to be shown the door, it just isn't happening for him this season. It's likely his final season, unless he's willing to drop down to National League (that won't be with us). Imagine bringing in a player who just loves to pick up threaded balls (from Doughty), feast off scraps and nod in those crosses. The chances are being created so I can see some out of favour strikers wanting to come here. They could easily get 10 in the 2nd half of the season. All that being said, so could Woolery but I do think he'll need competition. Complacency can destroy a team.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
REDBUCK

« Reply #223 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:04:47 »

I thought we played well in the first half, put them under pressure and could have had a couple more.  Second half for about 15-20 minutes we looked like we had left our brains in the dressing room.  It was as if nobody had understood we were playing against the wind.  I know I'm a broken record, but Taylor was awful in that period, beaten only by Iandolo who seemed to completely lose his positioning.  But, I have a suspicion Taylor triggered the move that got us the goal :-)

Nobody could figure out how to get Doughty in the game and he fucked up by not feeding Woollery when he did get released on a run - fortunately he didn't make that mistake the next time.  I thought we coped well in the final 20 minutes though - you know they will pump it long and apply pressure with the wind and useful big man.  Dunne played well.  Nelson and Woolfenden had a bit of a going over, but just about survived.  Knoyle was a threat first half, don't know why we didn't use that outlet on the floor in the 2nd but I guess he did get pushed back quite a bit.

Woollery looked a threat even if we managed to release him only a few times, similar to the impact Pryce had in the previous league game.  Hopefully the wind dies down and we can get back to Doughty feeding balls through.

Woolley looked a threat regardless of how many times we released him down the channels. The positive start was down to him picking the ball up in general play  and attacking the defence. Got us on the front foot early. Beats the previous pass around at the back and work our way into the game slowly.

I think your whole  record collection is broken where Taylor is concerned. Taylors "awful" 20 minutes was probably 3 or 4 miscued or misplaced first time passes when trying to get the ball forward to counter Newport increased tempo. He wasn't the only one. As for Landolo, he isn't a full back and seems to tuck in alot to cover his lack of pace. He struggled against a skillful out and out winger.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:07:27 »

Taffs seemed a bit miffed, around a dozen outside the DRS at half time giving it large.

Couldn't they find the way in? Thickos
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: