Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Woking FC Official Match day thread.  (Read 41533 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 16:16:36 »

I think you have to go into it with an open mind that new boss (and soon a transfer window) may see some improvement.

I can understand it if you don't want to go though. it has been woeful.

I can't believe we are somehow in touch with the playoff places. shithouse league of mediocrity
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 16:22:08 »

Genuine question though buddy. What perspective is there to be taken. We are at our lowest position that the majority of our fan base can ever remember and getting beaten by non league teams at home after something like 1 win at home in 7 games. It is fucking woeful

2 wins on the bounce under the new guy (in the league), something we haven't done in bloody ages. As for the Woking game.. let's not fuck about. We dominated the game and Woking shithoused us big time. We didn't play a full strength team and as I said before, we struggled to break down a flat back 9. It wasn't great, not pretending it is, but it's not exactly new. Even under Di Canio we lost at home to a side 2 leagues below us.

I think Wellens will do a good job here, seems to like play a decent way and for me he is saying the right things (identifying where we are weak, his general analysis of games). I just hope he's backed.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 16:27:15 »

Well said Tails....I’d further that by pointing out we should be grateful we have a financially secure club - just look at some of the names who have fallen out of the league in recent years. Maintaining a FL club is not something to take for granted.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 16:38:55 »

Even under Di Canio we lost at home to a side 2 leagues below us.

Wellens adds his name to an in most cases illustious list....

Bert Head, Danny Williams, Lou Macari, Steve McMahon, Danny Wilson and PdC.  The not so illustrious includes Luke and Malpas. Let's hope Wellens is more the former than the latter.
Flashheart

« Reply #154 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 16:40:30 »

Crapregchang is more boring than real Reg.

I think we'll make the playoffs, and I don't usually do predictions.

There, I said it.
Panda Paws

« Reply #155 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 17:12:23 »

Woking reckon fielding a weakened side gave them extra motivation....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46430030

He probably didn't realise that we don't have a regular strong side as such.... and leaving out our best player Matty Taylor, becasue of his age is fair enough for the busy period ahead.

Taylor isn't close to being our best player, as I'm sure you're aware.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 17:18:51 »

Wellens adds his name to an in most cases illustious list....

Bert Head, Danny Williams, Lou Macari, Steve McMahon, Danny Wilson and PdC.  The not so illustrious includes Luke and Malpas. Let's hope Wellens is more the former than the latter.
On that basis, Wellens has joined a list comprising Sir Alex Ferguson, Zinedine Zidane, Herbert Chapman, Don Revie, Jose Mourinho and so on.  Difference being that they - and the illustrious Danny Williams (not Luke) won some cup competitions.  PDC and Lou at least were also on the end of some wins in cup shocks - not exclusively losses.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 17:19:09 »

My general opinion is...

Yeah, be annoyed. I was annoyed and I had an hour drive home. But.. some perspective please, you bunch of drama queens! Smiley

Honestly some of the reaction is way OTT. I saw one dude on twitter just now who literally the other day was like "Great football, what a night" after Stevenage and has now posted "IM NEVER GOING AGAIN SHOWER OF SHIT".

My teenage nieces have more stable emotions FFS.

Exactly this. Yeah, I'm sure we all get pissed off at a loss. We should. Totally losing your shit...nope. The striking thing is, this is mostly coming from blokes that are 40+ with receding hairlines bigger than my future ever could be.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 17:20:21 »

What came through from that video, as from most games I've viewed this season, is that we make scoring so much harder for ourselves by the way we play it all round the box before anyone tries a shot, so by the time someone decides to shoot, the oppo's always had time to get everyone back crowding their box. We'll only start scoring more if we catch them out of position by running at the defence and delivering earlier balls in (viz Stevenage).

Someone once said that what sets the top level of any sport apart from the rest is speed. Not sure I see it for darts or curling, but it's true enough for footy.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 17:21:17 »

Woking reckon fielding a weakened side gave them extra motivation....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46430030

I am sure Woking did use this to motivate them, and I am also sure that Wellens Expected the side he put out to perform better and get a result nonetheless.  I see the point of keeping the formation the same - he probably created more risk on that one game but is expecting that debt to be paid in the league games coming up.  I'd happily forego an FA Cup 3rd round exit for a promotion tilt.  That's not in anyway saying it's fine to lose to Woking.  I am pretty sure Wellens isn't going around the training ground letting everyone know everything was just dandy with the performance.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 17:24:49 »

What came through from that video, as from most games I've viewed this season, is that we make scoring so much harder for ourselves by the way we play it all round the box before anyone tries a shot, so by the time someone decides to shoot, the oppo's always had time to get everyone back crowding their box. We'll only start scoring more if we catch them out of position by running at the defence and delivering earlier balls in (viz Stevenage).

Someone once said that what sets the top level of any sport apart from the rest is speed. Not sure I see it for darts or curling, but it's true enough for footy.

I can't speak for the game yesterday and precisely why it was different, but the previous league game there was much more emphasis on getting it wide, getting behind and delivering crosses.  I imagine the way Woking played is not what we will face in most games for the remainder of the season.  Even the bad teams in our league won't shut up shop completely and even if they did, they don't come with that one off chance of making a name for yourself never say die attitude yet get in these games.  If you look back in hindsight, maybe you change your formation, add more attacking players etc.  Assume you'll have all the ball and completely change things.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 17:35:35 »

Exactly this. Yeah, I'm sure we all get pissed off at a loss. We should. Totally losing your shit...nope. The striking thing is, this is mostly coming from blokes that are 40+ with receding hairlines bigger than my future ever could be.

You can moan at the 'gammons', the 'key board warriors' and the 'fickle' all you want. When it starts to affect our hardcore standing it becomes a problem. And it is starting to.

Not sure moaning at people moaning is going to solve anything, much like the moaning itself won't.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 17:48:18 »

You can moan at the 'gammons', the 'key board warriors' and the 'fickle' all you want. When it starts to affect our hardcore standing it becomes a problem. And it is starting to.

Not sure moaning at people moaning is going to solve anything, much like the moaning itself won't.

I'm not moaning at them Batch. I'm just pointing out how pathetic the behaviour is of some. Some who should be old enough to control themselves. The perspective being that our own lives/choices etc have far more impact on us than the Town making the 3rd Rnd of the F.A Cup. End of the day, although it is part of our life all we're doing is paying for an entertainment service. Not many will like that but in essence it has no direct impact on our lives. We shake it off and carry on.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 17:50:37 »

On that basis, Wellens has joined a list comprising Sir Alex Ferguson, Zinedine Zidane, Herbert Chapman, Don Revie, Jose Mourinho and so on.  Difference being that they - and the illustrious Danny Williams (not Luke) won some cup competitions.  PDC and Lou at least were also on the end of some wins in cup shocks - not exclusively losses.

Do you know what I missed SAF, ZZ, Revie and Jose losing to non league teams..... not sure about Herb, I wasn't around in the 30's.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 17:57:36 »

I can't speak for the game yesterday and precisely why it was different, but the previous league game there was much more emphasis on getting it wide, getting behind and delivering crosses.  I imagine the way Woking played is not what we will face in most games for the remainder of the season.  Even the bad teams in our league won't shut up shop completely and even if they did, they don't come with that one off chance of making a name for yourself never say die attitude yet get in these games.  If you look back in hindsight, maybe you change your formation, add more attacking players etc.  Assume you'll have all the ball and completely change things.

I missed Stevenage but went to the cup. but this was exactly how we played but it didn't work. two big cbs Pryce looked lost with little support. twine made some good runs but couldn't get on the end.

we had something like 13 corners but don't think we had a header on target from them. 2nd balls from corners we had quite a few chances. their keeper made one fantastic save it particular to keep out mccourt which BBC left out of highlights for some reason
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: