Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Woking FC Official Match day thread.  (Read 41697 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 10:18:07 »

But the recent improvement is hardly built upon when you get dicked at home by a non league club.

Unless that game highlighted to Wellens the folly of trying to play a certain way with even just a couple of players that are not suited to it.

Newport on Saturday should be a gauge - they’ve conceded 32 goals and despite being 4th have a negative goal difference.

The recent improvement could be no more than a bit of new manager bounce.... the trick is to ensure it's more than that and is on solid foundations. Certainly losing at home to Woking suggests there's an awful lot of work to do before we can be considered a reliable winning machine.  A draw v Newport wouldn't be the worst of results, as with Grimsby and Numb to come, that's 3 sides who we got nil point from last season with a stronger side.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 10:29:04 »

But the recent improvement is hardly built upon when you get dicked at home by a non league club.
I've heard a number of people describe it as us getting dicked.  As one of the unfortunates in attendance, Yes we were shit and lost but we completely dominated the game but were devoid of creativity in the final third which had been our problem all season. We weren't 'dicked' like we were against Histon, Macclesfield, Eastleigh etc in previous seasons.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 10:32:16 »

The result stemmed from the fact that essentially we couldn't break down a flat back 9. A lot of hyperbole as is the norm when we lose, but if it was a league game we'd be screaming that we were robbed. Fair play to Woking though, they did their job and you could see their plan was to smash and grab. Great support too, even if they were oddly irked by the fact their persistent fouling was being punished.

We should've won. We didn't in a competition we've traditionally (recently at least) been terrible in. It's not the end of the world.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 11:53:30 »

Other than the potential good day out at a big club, the cash we could have got in could have been useful for January's window.

We could have got another L2 club of course, but that it a massive opportunity lost and its pissed me off big time.
Reward for reaching round three would've been 27k,  then 65k had we reached round 4, some chance !!.
Not exactly amounts that would have changed our spending habit in January,  but every little helps as 'the old lady said'.  Bad Mood Bad Mood

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 11:55:33 »

Reward for reaching round three would've been 27k,  then 65k had we reached round 4, some chance !!.
Not exactly amounts that would have changed our spending habit in January,  but every little helps as 'the old lady said'.  Bad Mood Bad Mood

But the gate receipts from a trip to Old Trafford might have.
Statistically only slightly less likely this morning than it was yesterday, but you get the point.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 11:59:40 »

But the gate receipts from a trip to Old Trafford might have.
Statistically only slightly less likely this morning than it was yesterday, but you get the point.

But it would all just disappear into Powers back pocket anyway
(C) christ knows how many posters over and over again!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 12:03:46 »

oh yeah,. I forgot
Flashheart

« Reply #127 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 12:04:16 »

As I mentioned before, the (potential) loss of a big draw is a kick in the teeth, but I'm really quite meh about the result itself. The cup does this. It doesn't necessarily mean a thing where the league's concerned.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 12:18:12 »

We lost to Non-league clubs when we were 'good' at home to Macclesfield (and away for that matter) and got dicked at Cheltenham yet still got to the league 1 play-off final, shit happens in the cup. I'm over it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 12:18:25 »

As I mentioned before, the (potential) loss of a big draw is a kick in the teeth, but I'm really quite meh about the result itself. The cup does this. It doesn't necessarily mean a thing where the league's concerned.

Last season Accy got knocked out by Guiseley... OK it was on pens after a couple of draws, but they were in a poor run at the time, only one win in Nov, up to 30th December.  We should have played them during that trot, but the weather intervened so we played it when they were in prime form... they won something like 12 in 13, that's what gets you auto.

So it is possible to overcome a poor cup result and still do well
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 12:25:31 »

We responded to getting pumped at Cheltenham 5-0 by beating Bristol City at home, and then no one gave a shit about it anymore.

The thing that irks me the most is that some fans genuinely seem happy when we lose as it gives them a chance to rub their hands and be like "yep, see. Power bad". I just don't get it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 12:36:22 »

We responded to getting pumped at Cheltenham 5-0 by beating Bristol City at home, and then no one gave a shit about it anymore.

The thing that irks me the most is that some fans genuinely seem happy when we lose as it gives them a chance to rub their hands and be like "yep, see. Power bad". I just don't get it.

I don't think there are any Town fans who are happy about losing to Woking. Some like Flasher Shrug and move on, others note that we don't appear to be as good as what we once were and look for reasons.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 12:42:31 »

I don't think there are any Town fans who are happy about losing to Woking. Some like Flasher Shrug and move on, others note that we don't appear to be as good as what we once were and look for reasons.
No, Tails is definitely right. There is an element that revel in defeat, you only need to look a Facebook to realise that.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 12:44:48 »

It doesn't necessarily mean a thing where the league's concerned.

Absolutely right. One off games. Disappointment at potential revenue loss and a day out for us fans are the absolutes.

Our support is somewhat fragile right now though. Bit unfair to expect Wellens to pick up a shitty stick and turn it into roses. But I feel a performance is needed Saturday to show the blip was the loss and not the two previous wins.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Monday, December 3, 2018, 12:49:06 »

I would have liked to have seen an unchanged team to perhaps keep a bit of momentum going, when I saw Doughty was 1 of a front 3 I did wonder, how well he done on Tues running the game in the middle, to move him into a wide forward position that is probably a little alien to him, that didn't help, then to put in Dunne who has only trained for 2 days over the past 3 weeks.

I hope things are better for Newport on Sat, it could be a crucial game to either get a bit of momentum going into crimbo period or kill confidence either further and struggle over crimbo
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: