Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Port Vale v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 50606 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #330 on: Monday, November 26, 2018, 18:24:50 »

We are certainly going to be pretty light up front for tomorrow thats for certain.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Monday, November 26, 2018, 18:38:24 »

We are certainly going to be pretty light up front for tomorrow thats for certain.

Sometimes a rag bag side can surprise everyone.... such a thing happened a couple of years back v Rochdale on a Tuesday night. We beat them 3-0, with a side that had Conor Thomas at the back..... Anton and Tom Smith holding in midfield and Jonny Goddard, Sean Murray and Ellis Iandolo, flitting about behind Delfouneso, who scored his only goal in that game.

There were fellas wondering about in the pub afterwards in a daze, scarcely believing what they'd seen.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Monday, November 26, 2018, 18:59:35 »

Quote from: Peter Venkman
I know it's a cheap comment, but it's not going to affect us that much is it.
Flashheart

« Reply #333 on: Monday, November 26, 2018, 19:14:02 »

Hunt suggesting we might play without a recognised striker... or with Sol Pryce up front.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #334 on: Monday, November 26, 2018, 19:14:25 »

I know it's a cheap comment, but it's not going to affect us that much is it.
If we continue to play long balls to a target man then it could do, if we change it to play on the ground then not as much.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #335 on: Monday, November 26, 2018, 19:16:26 »

Hunt suggesting we might play without a recognised striker... or with Sol Pryce up front.
IIRC Pryce is pretty quick but not a big lad, only around 5 foot 7 I think so it won't be like for like if he does play.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Monday, November 26, 2018, 19:26:54 »

I think Twine could be the right player to move up top.  He has a real knack of being a nuisance to a defender, and while he is not the typical target man we might be looking for, I certainly think he could do a job in the central role.  He does pretty well at retaining possession, with a real Nathan Thompson ability to draw contact.  You maybe lose a bit of his forward facing ability, but it's easier to replace that from midfielders such as Alzate, Anderson, Doughty and, hoping beyond hope, McGlashan.

You keep as much as you can the same, so possibly Doughty for Adebayo if Anderson is ok, move Twine up top and one of Doughty or Alzate further upfield (assuming Smith is available to replace McCourt).  It's pretty clear I don;t fancy Taylor these days, but you'd resists making too many changes again, so keep him where he is for now.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Monday, November 26, 2018, 19:31:29 »

If we continue to play long balls to a target man then it could do, if we change it to play on the ground then not as much.

I think sometimes the change of focus can work, simply because the other lot don't know what they're up against.  Another unlikely win which sticks in the mind was beating Blackburn in 99.  They'd just come down from the Prem, and still had a large squad of international players... we had James Williams, the other Andy Williams and Fraser McHugh.

FMc took the simple course of punting it into the channels for George Ndah to chase.... it worked a treat.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Monday, November 26, 2018, 22:16:49 »

Yes since ST himself I think, gives 100% for 100% of the time.

I think we could put Gordon Greer up as close to an old fashioned hard working CB. I liked Greer. Not as good as ST obviously. Could also put Flint up there - despite where he moved to. His career has progressed and he's probably got his sights set on a move to the Prem (nearly with BCFC, could go close with Middlesbrough). Best check in with Exiled Bob first though, just to confirm my neurological receptors. He has my file.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Monday, November 26, 2018, 22:22:04 »

I still think Alzate could work up front. He's got a good shot on him from range (when he shoots) but I think if he was released into the box more he'd have an eye for goal.

Proviso - I'm not a football manager. We'll see.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Monday, November 26, 2018, 23:14:03 »

I think we could put Gordon Greer up as close to an old fashioned hard working CB. I liked Greer. Not as good as ST obviously. Could also put Flint up there - despite where he moved to. His career has progressed and he's probably got his sights set on a move to the Prem (nearly with BCFC, could go close with Middlesbrough). Best check in with Exiled Bob first though, just to confirm my neurological receptors. He has my file.
Don't tell me......you played against Greer at infants school and Taylor was running the line.
 Girl Giggle
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 00:58:51 »

Don't tell me......you played against Greer at infants school and Taylor was running the line.
 Girl Giggle

Fuck, you're good! How could ever know?! Except it was at Junior School though  Soapy Tit Wank

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: