Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: They Shall Not Grow Old  (Read 1566 times)
scillyred

« on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 20:47:44 »

For anyone that did not see this last night on BBC (Sunday) 9.30pm, it is a must watch.
Whilst graphic and disturbing, it brilliantly brings WW1 and it's futility to the fore.
I have done much research and visited the battlefields re my Grandfather's service, but this programme totally brought to life the horrendous conditions that he would have suffered.
'Luckily' for him he was captured at Vimy Ridge, which probably saved his life & ensured my existence  Smiley
Makes you grateful that you have been born in a relatively peaceful period.
It is amazing how the mood changes when the film changes from black and white to colour.

sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 20:51:52 »

Agreed. An incredible achievement this programme.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 22:22:23 »

For anyone that did not see this last night on BBC (Sunday) 9.30pm, it is a must watch.
Whilst graphic and disturbing, it brilliantly brings WW1 and it's futility to the fore.
I have done much research and visited the battlefields re my Grandfather's service, but this programme totally brought to life the horrendous conditions that he would have suffered.
'Luckily' for him he was captured at Vimy Ridge, which probably saved his life & ensured my existence  Smiley
It is amazing how the mood changes when the film changes from black and white to colour.

I watched that and have visited some of the WW11 sites in Normandy and Brittany.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 01:03:30 »

I do like the changes to colour, however I think monochrome can give us a better sense of time. I know we don't "see in b&w" (well most don't) but the images give us more chronological preference and the grainy imaging of film affirms to us that this was historic and important. To me, adding colour almost papers over the real true cracks and horrendousness of war time. I know why they have done it and not many would agree with my angle but that is what b&w film embodies to me, it just strikes you straight away as "a different era."

It's important we document history as true as we can. While colour gives us a glimpse into a more visual feeling, monochrome shows us starkly of a time that was and isn't now.

Still and absolutely great piece of programming nonetheless.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: