Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120632 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #600 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 11:33:02 »

Just goes to show that new managers (and players) should always be given a chance.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #601 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 11:40:15 »

Reading back at some comments (Batch Smiley) has brightened my lunch time.
dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #602 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 12:00:10 »

Richie Wellens has now managed 36 League games at STFC (which includes the 0-4 home drubbing by Carlisle in his first game):

Overall - P 36, W 15, D 12, L 9, F 54, A 42, GD +12, Pts 57, Clean Sheets 10, Fail to Score 10, points per game 1.58
Home - P 18, W 8, D 5, L 5, F 28, A 21, GD +7, Pts 29, Clean Sheets 5, Fail to Score 6, points per game 1.61
Away - P 18, W 7, D 7, L 4, F 26, A 21, GD +5, Pts 28, Clean Sheets 5, Fail to Score 4, points per game 1.56

The away record has remained very strong under Wellens (continuing theme from Flitcroft/Brown) - losing only 4 out of 18.

The home record is improving, and this is the most encouraging thing for me. With two "proper" goal-scorers in Doyle and Yates now on board, think we'll win a lot more tight games, where last year we racked up the draws under Wellens. Ultimately cost us 7th place?

Here's the home record in the 14 games before Wellens arrival (part of the reason why the County Ground was such a glum place!)...

P 14, W 3, D 7, L 4, F 15, A 17, Pts 16, Clean Sheets 4, Fail to Score 6, Points per game 1.14 (this is staggeringly bad for STFC at this level of English football).

So... full credit to Richie Wellens and the Social Media/Comms/Ticketing people at STFC for turning round the atmosphere at home (and the away support has swelled also). Further acid tests to come with home games against Macclesfield Town on Saturday, followed by Colchester Utd on Tuesday. We do still seem to have a home Tuesday blind spot, with frustrating 0-1 defeats featuring prominently through recent years.

COYR!

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #603 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 12:22:38 »

It's also been obvious that the comments insisting this was a return to Power taking full control were wide of the mark.  Wellens certainly seems to be his own man.  However, it does seem they have a good relationship, shown by the Doyle signing.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #604 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 15:11:27 »

It's also been obvious that the comments insisting this was a return to Power taking full control were wide of the mark.  Wellens certainly seems to be his own man.  However, it does seem they have a good relationship, shown by the Doyle signing.
Exactly right - Power has without doubt taken a step back from day to day team matters whilst remaining closely enough in touch to act straight away when the situation dictates i.e. the Doyle signing which I'm pretty sure will prove to be a defining moment in the season.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #605 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 15:34:17 »

I’d imagine that while Wellens was out of work and turned down for this job (sure that Power would have told him he was his preferred choice outside of giving the job to Brown) Wellens would have had plenty of time to look at players all over the place and follow our ‘ahem progress’ and put together a plan from training to recruitment to match day tactics etc. So when the phone call came he was in prime position to tell Power exactly how it needed to be should he be offered the job. “Lee, I have a cunning plan. Have a look at this will you?” Boom, we have a new manager who know what’s what and how to go about it.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #606 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 16:26:37 »

I would like to revisit this thread at the end of the season 🙂
You can if you want.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #607 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 20:45:00 »

You can if you want.

OH OH! Youre in charge....

Clems Army!
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #608 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 22:05:42 »

OH OH! Youre in charge....

P a u l is and you know he’s looking up his little red book to nail any of you if he gets a sniff self righteousness at the end of the campaign.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #609 on: Tuesday, September 10, 2019, 08:21:16 »

With vacancies available and sackings happening I dont like seeing this thread on the most recent list. Would hate to think the next manager recruitment process all over again.

And i know that this post has contributed to putting it back at the top!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: