Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120095 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 15:19:38 »

The thing that makes me edgy is, if Reg is correct and Power owns Highworth and has a personal stake in the ground then if it all goes sour Power will have some rather substantial and long term fingers in the STFC pie which would not be an attractive proposition for any new potential chairman. It'd be like shagging your new bird whilst she's sucking off her ex.

Conversely it could be argued that if getting some real estate, a new buyer wouldn't be able to get the club for a quid for a laugh.  It does of course, mean that proper pirates would be interested, as we've always managed to see these off because SBC own the ground.... here's what can happen on our very doorstep.... at the Abbey Stadium

More than 100 houses on the site have been built with many already occupied - there is outline permission for more than 120 more.

A Councillor said: “It’s been incredibly frustrating trying to get this stadium delivered.

“I don’t want to see another house constructed on the site until Gaming International deliver a new speedway stadium that is good for Swindon.

“It shows the esteem the developer shows this committee that they can’t be bothered to turn up tonight - it’s disgusting frankly.

“I don’t really trust them not to build more houses and then not deliver the stadium and just p*** off, basically.

“We need to put a line in the sand because the developer is still in breach of the previous section 106 agreement.

“We should say what enforcement we’re going to bring.”

Ward councillor Vera Tomlinson said the borough council needed to give a firm lead to the developers to get the stadium redeveloped.

She proposed approving the application with a condition that permission be granted as long as no more houses are built or occupied on the site until the stadium is rebuilt.

Gaming International, which runs Abbey Stadium, declined to comment on the matter.

Personally after an initial bout of enthusiasm.... I don't want Power anywhere near owning the CG

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 15:51:54 »

The planning application for the training ground has been submitted in the name of Swindon Town FC, however they have completed Cert B and confirmed that the owner of the application site is Mr L Power.... There may be something amongst the plethora of planning docs that will explain the on-going relationship but I don't have time to look*, likewise I suspect that if it starts heading towards consent a s.106 will be needed and if so and they upload this to the website (which they should although probably redacted to agree) the commitments and liabilities held therein should go a long way to explaining the situation.

* This may or may not work as a link to the application, https://pa1.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=PHIPQ2PTJV300 otherwise just search for application ref: S/18/1781

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 15:55:25 »

Conversely it could be argued that if getting some real estate, a new buyer wouldn't be able to get the club for a quid for a laugh.  It does of course, mean that proper pirates would be interested, as we've always managed to see these off because SBC own the ground.... here's what can happen on our very doorstep.... at the Abbey Stadium

More than 100 houses on the site have been built with many already occupied - there is outline permission for more than 120 more.

A Councillor said: “It’s been incredibly frustrating trying to get this stadium delivered.

“I don’t want to see another house constructed on the site until Gaming International deliver a new speedway stadium that is good for Swindon.

“It shows the esteem the developer shows this committee that they can’t be bothered to turn up tonight - it’s disgusting frankly.

“I don’t really trust them not to build more houses and then not deliver the stadium and just p*** off, basically.

“We need to put a line in the sand because the developer is still in breach of the previous section 106 agreement.

“We should say what enforcement we’re going to bring.”

Ward councillor Vera Tomlinson said the borough council needed to give a firm lead to the developers to get the stadium redeveloped.

She proposed approving the application with a condition that permission be granted as long as no more houses are built or occupied on the site until the stadium is rebuilt.

Gaming International, which runs Abbey Stadium, declined to comment on the matter.

Personally after an initial bout of enthusiasm.... I don't want Power anywhere near owning the CG

The Councillors could basically say, we majorly buggered up on the planning permission, as a Council as its easy to just include clauses in the Consent and/or s.106 which requires phasing and X to be completed before y is started, I have had many schemes where you get enabling housing but you a) have to lodge a performance bond with the Council before you start which will then be used to do the beneficial works if you default or b) can only build say 25% of the housing before you have to do the beneficial works before which you build the rest which is the bit that makes the allowed 20% profit.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 16:37:45 »

Absolutely.

Whether these come to fruition remains to be seen but if they do, Power could turn out to be one of the best owners we've ever had. He still wouldn't get credit from some, though.

I concur.

However, it all feels a bit like building solid foundations but putting a shed on top!
Power could very well provide us with the most solid foundations we’ve had for god knows how many years.

We’ll need a new investor/owner to build the nice house on top of those foundations.

Rightly or wrongly football clubs & their owners get judged more on the on pitch stuff than off pitch stuff.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 16:56:06 »

We’ll need a new investor/owner to build the nice house on top of those foundations.

I'm sure Gaming International would oblige.... like at Abbey Stadium  and Plainmoor amongst others...... local too, so know how to handle SBC (ignore them).

They could even promise Power a new stadium out at Highworth..... all reasonable.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 18:05:38 »

Gaming International has plenty of previous when it comes to shutting down greyhound stadia for redevelopment.

Eastville, Reading and Milton Keynes have all gone under their stewardship.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 18:29:18 »

Gaming International has plenty of previous when it comes to shutting down greyhound stadia for redevelopment.

Eastville, Reading and Milton Keynes have all gone under their stewardship.

I only use it as an example of what can happen if a stadium is the property of an individual whose aim is to make money...

I'm sure some think the nice Mr Power, will bung 30 mill or so at the club develop a nice stadium and then hand it over to the good people of Swindon, in perpetuity.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 18:35:34 »

I thought the council have halted new housing until the stadium is built now
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 19:32:51 »

I thought the council have halted new housing until the stadium is built now
That is what has been reported.  Should be noted that Coun. Vera Tomlinson who proposed that no more houses until the stadium is built is the mother of our local mp, Justin Tomlinson.  He has taken more than a passing interest in the whole development and persuaded the council to originally put in a clause to state that the stadium should be built before the rest of the site is developed three years ago.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 18:34:15 »

Quite fun reading back, especially the comments referred to about the Oldham pitch - it was a shocker today, like playing down an East End alleyway during the war.

Seems he is on target to exceed Reg's targets and expectations.

The fears over Waterford never materialised other than Twine going on loan.

His investments in January seem to have been wise ones, but will they turn out to be longer term stays come the summer?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #595 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 09:58:37 »

As Rob says, this thread is very amusing, I can't believe some of the utter negativity expressed by some posters early in the thread.

I admit freely that he was not my 2st, 2nd or 3rd choice but that I would give hime time.

Others are a lot less tollerant of his appointment!

One poster saying there was still a good chance of relegation under him, several tiimes in this thread!

How times change in 10 months for the better mostly!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 10:27:30 »

Things on the pitch have improved dramatically - and there’s me saying, on his appointment, he won’t galvanise the support like Macari, Ardiles or Hoddle!

Off the pitch, things appear to have improved with the closer involvement of Clem - is he behind the seemingly larger budget this season. The stadium ‘thing’ seems to be trundling along. Be nice to actually see the first brick laid.

Ain’t it funny that when the football is successful nobody really gives much of a stuff about all of the peripheral bits and bobs!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #597 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 10:45:26 »

It does make interesting reading, some of the outrageously negative comments from some, many others being much more optimistic and wishing Wellens well.

Some even questioning Hunts appointment saying he was Powers puppet.

I was not in favour of his appointment but was willing to give him time, others totally against it.

Very interesting.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #598 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 10:53:21 »

Been a horrific few years to be fair so any negativity was actually warranted to a certain extent.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: Monday, September 9, 2019, 11:17:29 »

I would like to revisit this thread at the end of the season 🙂
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: