Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120162 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 09:35:42 »

Power was the devil incarnate before he appointed Williams. In fact, he was the devil incarnate before he even bought the club. Remember Fredi?

The 70 odd pages of the Fredi Mercs  Bicycle thread was a TEF classic.

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=51390.0
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 11:16:52 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #571 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 10:19:13 »

I think i've heard all of his interviews. And call me a happy clapper, but the only thing i think he's guilty of, or poor at, is being unlucky.
I agree, I think in the main he comes accross well in interviews despite what many Town fans seem to think of him, the devil incarnate.

I think his major cock up was the poor communication in the first couple of years, this created a chasm for rumours and conspiracy theories to build and as they say mud sticks.
Concurred.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 12:20:32 »

I agree, I think in the main he comes accross well in interviews despite what many Town fans seem to think of him, the devil incarnate.
Concurred.

I don't know any Town fans as it were on the ground, ie those who still go and mostly Swindon based, who have much time for Power.  But we're stuck with him for the foreseeable.   It will be interesting to see how the players react to Wellens, nobody wants non league football, but if Power has misjudged this situation it becomes a real possibilty.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 12:38:12 »

I don't know any Town fans as it were on the ground, ie those who still go and mostly Swindon based, who have much time for Power. 
Same here. Not suggesting everyone is a foaming at the mouth Christian whassisface but don't know anyone who thinks very much at all of him
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 12:56:18 »

Same here. Not suggesting everyone is a foaming at the mouth Christian whassisface but don't know anyone who thinks very much at all of him

I'm not sure how anyone can be jumping with joy at the way the club has slumped. It doesn't much matter if you think he's been unlucky or if he's the devil incarnate.

As far as I am concerned he's brought much of the animosity on himself with a near total lack of engagement with his "customers" and a complete lack of transparency.

Its not about being obliged to do such things,  its about building bridges with the community - because that's important to a small club. People will always find excuses not to go when results are bad, but its starting to piss off the regulars (base don the disappearing ST holders around me)

Its not all bad

At least Clem and the supporters groups do seem to be working together to try and do some good stuff, and Power may well be the driver behind that. So credit there. If it (ground, training facilities) gets delivered under Power's shift and doesn't screw the club over I can see it may be the most significant period of ownership in decades.

Also can see sense in his previous two managerial appointments in terms of experience and letting them get on with it.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 14:30:16 »

If offered in 2015 to have the chance to own the County Ground and our own training facility at cost of a few years in Div 4, I would have taken it.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 14:44:57 »

If offered in 2015 to have the chance to own the County Ground and our own training facility at cost of a few years in Div 4, I would have taken it.

We won't own either.... Power owns Highworth and if things develop and frankly I think it's a long shot.... what we might call we, ie The Trust won't own the CG either.

Personally I'd rather the Chelsea/Man City model, whereby the owners rent the Stadium and invest in the football.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 15:00:55 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #577 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 14:53:38 »

Absolutely.

Whether these come to fruition remains to be seen but if they do, Power could turn out to be one of the best owners we've ever had. He still wouldn't get credit from some, though.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 14:58:28 »

The thing that makes me edgy is, if Reg is correct and Power owns Highworth and has a personal stake in the ground then if it all goes sour Power will have some rather substantial and long term fingers in the STFC pie which would not be an attractive proposition for any new potential chairman. It'd be like shagging your new bird whilst she's sucking off her ex.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #579 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 15:01:58 »

Absolutely.

Whether these come to fruition remains to be seen but if they do, Power could turn out to be one of the best owners we've ever had. He still wouldn't get credit from some, though.
Spot on, I don't like him but for me he hasn't done much wrong so far, most of my not liking of him comes entirely from other people opinions of him who know him.

As for the last comment....if (yes its a big if) he really does become one of our best owners then I would still say that 90% of our fan base would not give him any credit whatsoever.

Just trying to redress the balance of downright hatred of him which seems to be prevalent on fb, and at times, on here too from many.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 15:04:35 »

He owns the Highworth property, that is clear public knowledge.  The cub is getting, assuming it gets developed, a long term lease (like it had on the CG).

I doubt very much he'd be sole and direct owner of the ground, he doesn't have the money.  That's going to need some external financing I imagine.

As he owns STFC currently, he owns all the leases anyway.  Unless the fans by him out, that's just life.  Clearly fans can apply pressure, like when Diamandis had his arms up both of the Wills but ultimately found an unwilling customer base.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 15:05:44 »

I doubt the trust will invest into anything without it being co owned with the football club itself and not power or some other shell co.

and surely they'd also make sure legally a sale of the club couldn't split off the ground lease to power.
Flashheart

« Reply #582 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 15:05:44 »

The thing that makes me edgy is, if Reg is correct and Power owns Highworth and has a personal stake in the ground then if it all goes sour Power will have some rather substantial and long term fingers in the STFC pie which would not be an attractive proposition for any new potential chairman. It'd be like shagging your new bird whilst she's sucking off her ex.

Power has said on many occasion he intends to sell eventually to a buyer. If he wants to achieve that, he has to be selling something that people want to buy.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 15:08:13 »

He won't be forgiven by the FB lot until STFC's God given right to be League 1 or higher has been restored. No matter what good stuff he does off the pitch.

Flashheart

« Reply #584 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 15:11:55 »

He won't be forgiven by the FB lot until STFC's God given right to be League 1 or higher has been restored.

He'd still be the devil incarnate even then.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: