Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120101 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 21:14:26 »

I might be wrong, but don't players pay their agents when signing on?  I thought agent fees were the club paying an agent to do something for them.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 21:18:19 »

Don’t clubs have to register their budgets with the EFL before the season starts? Don’t know if that info is confidential or available for anyone else to see.

I presume, speaking to Wellens, that Oldham’s budget of £1.4m in L1 is accurate.

That would stack up against their 20K agent spend... which along with Bury's similar amount was one of the smaller in Div 3, they both got relegated.  However they were up against other Lancs outfits like Blackburn 764 K spend and Wigan 557K spend, it's what got them up. Rotherham did well to join them with a more modest 136K
digby

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 21:22:21 »

In that recent interview didn't Power refer to a list of budgets, and then went on to quote other clubs budgets - if such a list exists, where would you find it ? Might putt to bed all these guesses/tenuous links to other financial goings on !
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 21:28:53 »

I might be wrong, but don't players pay their agents when signing on?  I thought agent fees were the club paying an agent to do something for them.

It's all a bit murky... some agents act for the player and club.  Clubs pay the players to pay the agents.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 21:38:11 »

Every time I hear Power speak - it does actually reassure me. It’s a shame nothing on the pitch follows.

I think i've heard all of his interviews. And call me a happy clapper, but the only thing i think he's guilty of, or poor at, is being unlucky.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 21:40:00 »

As reg said, probably lower down, but not the top prem sides, thats all laundered money delivered in gold helicopters!
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 21:48:13 »

I think i've heard all of his interviews. And call me a happy clapper, but the only thing i think he's guilty of, or poor at, is being unlucky.
Don't disagree with this.

I think his major cock up was the poor communication in the first couple of years, this created a chasm for rumours and conspiracy theories to build and as they say mud sticks.

Sherwood and Williams were very poor judgements though, wonder how close him and Sherwood are these days after the latters Teflon act?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 21:49:02 »

personally think he deserved all he got with Williams, Sherwood and the swindon way.

unlucky with ling

didn't do anything ring with Flitcroft and brown

edit: beaten to it!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 21:57:43 »

Don't disagree with this.

I think his major cock up was the poor communication in the first couple of years, this created a chasm for rumours and conspiracy theories to build and as they say mud sticks.

Sherwood and Williams were very poor judgements though, wonder how close him and Sherwood are these days after the latters Teflon act?

I'm hoping he hinted it will be better, as he mentioned social media a couple of times, and how he's learning. Doesnt matter how long in the tooth you are, as long as you keep people informed they forgive fuck up's. Can happen to anyone, particularly when you rely on other people not to fuck up. Every time he does speak out we aren't trying to do a jigsaw with 3 pieces missing.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 22:24:57 »

IF he can pull of the training ground, county ground purchase/redevelopment, and get us back up a league it will be a success. He has put things in place for this to happen, the only thing he can't really control is the 3rd option. without serious splashing of the cash and even then its still in the hands of a manager and players.
Flashheart

« Reply #565 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 08:00:43 »

I've said the same thing before several times. He's certainly not helped himself at times and he has made some huge mistakes, but a lot of it really is just down to plain bad luck. Both Brown and Flitcroft were decent appointments on paper. Ling was looking good.

People complain that Power's draining the soul from the club and other such verbiage. It's superficial. If the product on the pitch was better people would be more positive, and that's down to poor luck with managers. Once he gets a stroke of luck with a manager then it'll all be fine.
Flashheart

« Reply #566 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 08:05:27 »

Actually, when I say 'it'll all be fine', you'd still get cunts moaning.

When we made the playoff finals that could have got us into the Championship people were moaning. The conspiracy theorists were out saying he only wanted us to go up so he could make money and take us down again (into non-league). The same conspiracy theorists were saying he threw the match when we lost.

Not much you can do about those.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 08:18:45 »

It all stems from Luke Williams - which Power admitted was solely his mistake, especially as he didn’t particularly want the job.

Now, I don’t think the appointment, per se, was a mistake but because at the time he was still a kind of DoF and hands on, he needed a pliable fella like Luke to put up with it.

One other thing about that Power interview, and I know he is not that articulate at times, but when asked about his ‘judge me after 5 years’ statement he said ‘That 5 years is up next year and I hope I’ll have left the club at least in the position I found it’

Read anything into that or just Power rambling
phelpsieboy

« Reply #568 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 08:28:36 »

It all stems from Luke Williams - which Power admitted was solely his mistake, especially as he didn’t particularly want the job.

Now, I don’t think the appointment, per se, was a mistake but because at the time he was still a kind of DoF and hands on, he needed a pliable fella like Luke to put up with it.

One other thing about that Power interview, and I know he is not that articulate at times, but when asked about his ‘judge me after 5 years’ statement he said ‘That 5 years is up next year and I hope I’ll have left the club at least in the position I found it’

Read anything into that or just Power rambling
I noticed that too... especially when some of his recent activities indicate a potential exit strategy. He also sounded a bit fed up at times in that interview.

Still think there is more than meets the eye with Clem's involvement. There has been an Australian consortium trying to enter the English game for some time with an eye of creating a pathway into English football for budding Australians who can't get into the A League - replicating exactly what Clem said in his interview the other month. Of course they could be working completely exclusive of each other and just have the same idea, but it does make you wonder. Especially when their prospective purchase of Charlton hasn't progressed in the past year.
Flashheart

« Reply #569 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 08:32:06 »

It all stems from Luke Williams

Power was the devil incarnate before he appointed Williams. In fact, he was the devil incarnate before he even bought the club. Remember Fredi?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: