Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120165 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:04:34 »

I had my first job at Oldham, which was going fantastically well, but the pitch deteriorated very badly and I had to change the way I played.

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2018/november/wellens-joins-as-new-manager/

Ta, so very much in the context of why he wanted to take this job.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:06:42 »

Fuck it, can't even quote properly today.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:12:38 »

Ta, so very much in the context of why he wanted to take this job.

You may as well face it.... this is Power going back to the old Luke style dictatorship, with a coach who does what he's told or tough shit.

No decent manager who has ever been here or no proper manager in history would put up with having someone dumped on him as a favour to the owner.

Someone like Ossie, came in and was happy enough to work with John Trollope say, as someone who knew the club inside out, so was helpful to a rookie gaffer. Andy Rowland did likewise during the Hoddle period, into McMahon.

Wellens will put up with it, as he wants a job..... I wonder what Matty Taylor's take on all this is?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:15:09 »

You may as well face it.... this is Power going back to the old Luke style dictatorship, with a coach who does what he's told or tough shit.

I don't think its a given, but its a possible.

If he comes out and says Wellens has free reign then fair enough.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:17:11 »

I don't have any issue with that approach, if that is what is being taken.  Two tried and tested total control Managers have done little.  No one way has a right to be the right one - this might be a morphed version.  Did it work under Williams, clearly not, did this season work under Brown, clearly not.  I have no strong feelings on Wellens, we shall see how it pans out.  I remain of the opinion that a decent person in charge should have this team competing for the top seven (not top three).  He clearly has been told he will be judged in that fashion as well.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:22:15 »

I don't have any issue with that approach, if that is what is being taken.  Two tried and tested total control Managers have done little.  No one way has a right to be the right one - this might be a morphed version.  Did it work under Williams, clearly not, did this season work under Brown, clearly not.  I have no strong feelings on Wellens, we shall see how it pans out.  I remain of the opinion that a decent person in charge should have this team competing for the top seven (not top three).  He clearly has been told he will be judged in that fashion as well.

I think Batch pointed out the consequences of the failed model Div 3 was Div 4..... and therein lies the danger of a repeat.

Wellens will need at least 4 wins and a couple of draws into mid Jan, to keep us around 16th/17th, that's from 10 games.  That want be easy
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:25:54 »

I think Batch pointed out the consequences of the failed model Div 3 was Div 4..... and therein lies the danger of a repeat.

Wellens will need at least 4 wins and a couple of draws into mid Jan, to keep us around 16th/17th, that's from 10 games.  That want be easy

Turn it in Reg. We're 10 (TEN) points above the drop zone and in equal 14th. We're also 7 points off the last play off spot.

Basically, i won't panic, just yet!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:28:39 »

If Power really has little interest in preserving our league status, why sack Brown? Surely a change of manager indicates some level of ‘care’.

It doesn’t matter what nefarious intentions he may have - they will be better served in the FL than out of it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:29:01 »

Quite right.

Based on IF we return to a loan young players/play technical passing football, there is no safety net.
Also, the Luke Williams tippy tappy football bored me far more than the Flitcroft/Brown era. I think I may be in a minority here.

Look its all a long way from having to worry about such things. But in the absence of any information then the 'what ifs' fill the void.
---
PS I think we'll be fine this year. If we luck out with Wellens the playoffs are only 7 points away.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:30:53 by Batch » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:29:23 »

DoF got us a L1 Play Off Final - might be something to do with the squad, the person running the coaching etc.  Just a thought.

Four wins is achievable, as are five losses.  Let's see how he gets on.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:32:04 »

If Power really has little interest in preserving our league status, why sack Brown? Surely a change of manager indicates some level of ‘care’.

It doesn’t matter what nefarious intentions he may have - they will be better served in the FL than out of it.
Completely agree.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:43:37 »

With Power it's not so much nefarious intentions as just making bad decisions, and this looks like a bad decision. 

Yes Rob we could win 4 games, that would be decent the last 10 have gleaned 2 wins and 9 points.  On last seasons numbers a continuation of current form would leave us 4 points off the drop zone. This is why Brown was sacked... Wellens has to get that short term bounce or we're in trouble.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:49:14 »

Keeping Brown would have been a gamble. Appointing any new manager is a gamble. But doing it a few weeks before the transfer window is the best time to do it.

I can’t really see what other ‘type’ of manager we could have gone for. A ‘name’ wouldn’t be interested, we’ve tried the experienced guy. The only other ones are the serial failures.

Maybe Hunt is here as a player until the window conjures up a gem!
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:53:17 »

Keeping Brown would have been a gamble. Appointing any new manager is a gamble. But doing it a few weeks before the transfer window is the best time to do it.

Spot on. Everything's a gamble. There's still plenty to play for including promotion. It seems far fetched but mathematically we're closer to that possibility than the drop zone. We'd have to go on a wretched run to go down. I mean Reg has probably trawled through every stat he can find and he's still got us staying up by 4 points. :-)
Flashheart

« Reply #509 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:56:25 »

he's still got us staying up by 4 points. :-)

That is very positive coming from Reg.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: