Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120103 times)
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:42:22 »

However it might be what Power needs in terms of his Waterford project

Do you ever get paranoid about your paranoia?
Flashheart

« Reply #481 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:44:47 »

It's fine if he thinks we can play all games here

At home you play to your own strengths. If you are unable to do that, for whatever reason, then you are going to struggle.

Obviously when you are away you need to adapt but for a team that was going to be struggling regardless, it was always going to be difficult for them to pick up points on the road. What's more is that we are not the only team in the division that has a decent pitch.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:47:24 »

Some good some bad some indifferent.

Only time will tell, good luck to him even if he wasn't most fans 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice, he may work he may not, fingers crossed it works out for us all.

For me, this sums it up pretty well really. 

Shrivvy Road

« Reply #483 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:48:57 »

At home you play to your own strengths. If you are unable to do that, for whatever reason, then you are going to struggle.

Obviously when you are away you need to adapt but for a team that was going to be struggling regardless, it was always going to be difficult for them to pick up points on the road. What's more is that we are not the only team in the division that has a decent pitch.
I get that mate but his statement to me was weird. To me stating a pitch isn't great in your opening interview is weird
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:49:52 »

it would be nice to get some info on the appointment and vision for the clubs future, just to at least try and see where power is coming from.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:57:29 »

Do you ever get paranoid about your paranoia?

Try and stick to the issues.... why is Power parachuting in a Waterford player to be our cone carrier? 
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 12:06:25 »

Surely that's a fair enough question.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 12:28:53 »

Surely that's a fair enough question.

Well the Irish season finished about 3 weeks ago... so Hunt will be kicking his heels until Feb, when they start again, so he is at a loose end.  Difficult to know how many of the Waterford staff are full time, as there are lots of them, seeminly way in excess of the funds they generate.  In UK non league below say Conference S/N, it is common that many tasks are carried out by volunteers, or people working without pay.

Wellens himself mentioned I believe he was working without pay somewhere... Richards perhaps the same at Cobblers.

It may be as simple as Hunt is being paid by Power, so he thinks he might as well get some graft out of him til Feb, by which time we should have a clearer idea where the seaon is heading.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 12:35:46 »

Try and stick to the issues.... why is Power parachuting in a Waterford player to be our cone carrier? 

Because he has was an Assistant Manager?  Power knows his level of ability/performance?  Wellens was cool with it?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 12:38:32 »

It may be as simple as Hunt is being paid by Power, so he thinks he might as well get some graft out of him til Feb, by which time we should have a clearer idea where the seaon is heading.

Yeah, exactly.

But its quite unusual to put two people who (as far as we know) haven't worked together in as a new managerial team. Would make sense if, say, he'd moved Matt Taylor to #2 as he knows the club.

There needn't be anything sinister in it - but he's surely got to say something about it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 12:39:46 »

Because he has was an Assistant Manager?  Power knows his level of ability/performance?  Wellens was cool with it?

See, completely missed he was  player-assistant manager at Waterford. At least he has some experience.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 12:41:17 »

I do think it is worrying when in his first interview a manager is blaming the pitch for a loss of form.

Am I missing something?  Like an interview for example? (Honest question).

I know he brought up the pitch at Oldham when he left there, but I hadn't seem him reference it in regards to getting the job here.

If he did bring it up, maybe the CG pitch was a selling point for what he wants to do with a team, so it is a good thing?  One of the Oldham comments suggests it happened to most teams, well, our pitch has been a bowling green for a few years, so a good place to come and manage if you want to try playing the ball on the ground.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 12:52:10 »

Am I missing something?  Like an interview for example? (Honest question).

I know he brought up the pitch at Oldham when he left there, but I hadn't seem him reference it in regards to getting the job here.

If he did bring it up, maybe the CG pitch was a selling point for what he wants to do with a team, so it is a good thing?  One of the Oldham comments suggests it happened to most teams, well, our pitch has been a bowling green for a few years, so a good place to come and manage if you want to try playing the ball on the ground.

I had my first job at Oldham, which was going fantastically well, but the pitch deteriorated very badly and I had to change the way I played.

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2018/november/wellens-joins-as-new-manager/
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 12:55:20 »

See, completely missed he was  player-assistant manager at Waterford. At least he has some experience.

Assistant coach.... to be exact.  Waterford started the season with a DoF in place.... Fenlon, with a head coach and Hunt as assistant.

Fenlon buggered off to be in charge of Power's "global Interests" and despite RobT's earnest entreaties for him to replace Flitcroft.... we got Brown, who for me being a guy like Fenlon in his 50's having managed for years in England was probably a better shout than Fenlon who hadn't a single game.

The question as to whether Fenlon, would have done a better job than Brown is moot.  We haven't heard much about Power's global interests of late.... the sunny Oz trip holding hands with Tactics... didn't seem to get very far, although Usain Bolt may have ended up at the prospective club... and Montengro Div 4 has gone a bit quiet.

I can't help thinking I'd prefer the owner of STFC  to be a fella or woman who concentrates on that.... for their football fix.
Flashheart

« Reply #494 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 13:01:35 »

Madness.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: