Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120646 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:33:53 »

if your using 12 years as a random marker then our average league position is surely still league 1 and not league 2?

we are not playing like a big club which I have said but there is no denying it in league 2 terms we are whether you like it or not.

Nothing to do with what I like.   We know in the modern game, gate receipts etc are one source of income, increasingly another is owners/benefactors sticking their hands in their pockets.  Power doesn't really do that, in fact he runs another club... I wonder where the funds come from to run that?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:34:29 »

oooh CT .. 🍿
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:36:08 »

Reg sort of has a point. what area the units in 'too big'?

fanbase and history, unarguably so.

budget, probably not.

potential to grow, I guess so. though probably not any time soon.

It was in reference to this "bollocks" from Wellen- The club belongs above League Two because of the sheer size of it – and the supporter base is far too good for League Two too.

yippee, maybe Wellens will work out after all.

Newport are 2-0 up.

I'm completely lost with this cup and have no idea what results are needed for our to progress and whether we actually want to
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:38:41 »

we need anything other than a Newport win to go through. they are 2-0 up.

which is fine by me
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 21:01:39 »

It was in reference to this "bollocks" from Wellen- .

But it is bollocks, I don't normally listen to what managers say any longer because they trot out cliches.... I prefer to judge by what I see on the pitch, or perhaps their stature in the game and then decide if they're worth listening to.

I'd prefer to hear something like we're 17th in Div 4 atm, and I don't want us to go lower, but it may take a while to look at the squad assess what we have, before we start climbing the league, so some patience from the fans may be needed.
woolster

« Reply #470 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 22:17:19 »

I know this sounds hackneyed and a bit dewy eyed, but supporting STFC over a lot of years it always felt I was supporting a club that was a bit special, a bit different than the other lower league opponents.

Win a League Cup, could, and should, have made 2 more Finals, reach the dizzy heights of the PL, 100% winning record at the old Wembley, even the 100% losing record at the new - we’ve still been there.

The realisation has now sunk in that we have become the same as those lower league clubs that have spent almost all their existence just treading water - just existing. Yes, important to their fans but that’s about it.

Its difficult to envisage the new fella revitalising the club - he’s no Macari, Ardiles or Hoddle who the fans can rally round.

Luton weren’t too happy appointing Nathan Jones, Lincoln likewise with Cowley. ‘Who the fuck are they?’ Was the general reaction.

So, until proven otherwise, Wellens will get my full support and if anyone decides to lumber him with the Bellends moniker he/she should be banned.

I am the original Bellend!
best post yet
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 08:21:14 »

best post yet

How long would you say "if proven otherwise" is?

Kewell got 10 weeks at Notts..... an initial bounce, they'd only lost 1 home game to us, and climbed out of the drop zone, under his management.

The problem seemed to be his insistence on playing out from the back, meant a shaky defence particularly on the road.

Had Kewell won the key 6 pointer, t'other week, they'd be a point adrift of us.  Incidentally think they've Numb on Sat which is a massive game.

I reckon Wellens gets about 10 league games before Power can do any loan signings... maybe a couple more as it's usually last minute..  then he can more fairly be judged on getting players for positions he wants to improve.  In those 10 games he'll need at least 4 wins and a couple of draws, to keep us in a safeish 16th/17th.

Anything less than that and we'll be in trouble...
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:01:28 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #472 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:00:30 »

Here are the quotes from the original post of this on the Oldham forum about this write up..

A very generous piece.

I think he’ll struggle or be nothing more than ok.  He won’t get anywhere near the Money Abdallah threw at it for the first few months, and the ‘exciting football’ literally lasted for six games. His constant whingeing and excuses began to grate very quickly. Did he have issues to deal with- yes. But what lower league manager doesn’t? As a comparison- I’ve not heard Bunn mention once that his number two has been sacked, despite the fact it must be killing him- It’s called professionalism. Ritchie struggled with that.

Swindon have a got a manager who flatters to deceive IMO. Will blame ANYTHING he can for a defeat, or loss of form. He will demand Swindon ‘some him their ambition’ by signing players they can’t afford because he can’t get a tune out of what’s there or more likely who he’s already signed.

As singe says- look at his first quote on signing. . . Enough said.  "Richie Wellens after being appointed Swindon Town manager: "I had my first job at Oldham, which was going fantastically well, but the pitch deteriorated very badly and I had to change the way I played.""

I wish him nothing but the best

He fucking relegated us.

The fuck is he supposed to say? 'I made a right hash of my last job and shouldn't have had any chance of getting this one' .... Come on.

Jesus! Far too kind a few good games in the honeymoon period then a downward trend. After that he blamed everyone but himself

He could of said.

I like to play attractive football, but I learnt from my time at Oldham that’s not always achievable with the pitches in the lower leagues, so it’s important we can adapt our style to the conditions as and when we need to.
Instead he said

My first job at Oldham was going fantastically well, but the pitch deteriorated very badly, and I had to change the way I played.

One sounds positive and ready to learn from mistakes.

The other sounds bitter and resentful, and accepts no personal responsibility. 

He shouldn't have blamed the pitch. Just, as L1E says, learned a lot , tricky time, first job etc.

And for 3 reasons

1) The pitch is always the same for both sides
2) Everyone's cut up somewhat after the weather we had.
3) We also played away from home, no change in tactics there.
4) He is admitted he can't scrap for a scruffy win, every team needs to do that. You can't play on carpets every week.

Some of the football under Wellens was the best i have seen from an Oldham side in years.

He will not be anywhere near as hamstrung as he was here.
Tenner going on Swindon to go up.

The football second half of the season was us shambolically playing long ball to Doyle with our best playmaker stuck out wide not being involved.

Some good some bad some indifferent.

Only time will tell, good luck to him even if he wasn't most fans 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice, he may work he may not, fingers crossed it works out for us all.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:02:53 »

yeah, very contrasting opinions from Oldham fans.

we'll see
Flashheart

« Reply #474 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:03:08 »

I see it as no more or less than a punt as other 'new' manager options, and I would have been happy with one of those.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #475 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:29:39 »

I do think it is worrying when in his first interview a manager is blaming the pitch for a loss of form.
Flashheart

« Reply #476 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:32:26 »

What if it's a genuine reason, though? Managers often bang on about how important it is to have the right pitch. Other managers often say how envious they are of ours.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #477 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:33:34 »

It's fine if he thinks we can play all games here
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #478 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:34:34 »

By the way i am willing to get behind him and not slating him just stating i did find that a weird thing to say
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:36:17 »

I do think it is worrying when in his first interview a manager is blaming the pitch for a loss of form.

I know people instinctively want to be "fair" after all fair play is a British trait.... but there really is very little about Wellens/Hunt that looks like the sort of thing we need right now. However it might be what Power needs in terms of his Waterford project
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: