Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120105 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 19:45:21 »

I have no issue with Power sticking such a target in a contract.  If the incoming Manager does not feel they have the resources to achieve that goal then don't take the job, otherwise, be prepared to be judged accordingly.  Sounds like he's also got a green light to invest in January if needed.  We also don't know if that is a would be nice to get promoted this season, but if you don't manage it next season you are out.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 19:46:01 »

I thought our natural league position was the league above? Plus we have the 3rd highest attendance in the league despite being in a relegation battle and it beats half of league 1. I'd say we are too big to be in this league. doesn't mean that we don't deserve to be where we are however 

3rd relegation to the basement in 12 years, indicates that we've slipped from our previous natural position. Our larger gates don't seem to give us much of a financial advantage over the rest.

As I've said before if you're Sunderland and get 30,000 in Div 3, as opposed to the sides who get 3000, then it's probably fair to say you're too big for the league.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 19:55:56 »

As i said before it might be broken into segments 20 points after 10 games 30 after 15 etc, he might have taken it to get us up this year. People will agree to anything when a job's on offer. Tough ask, but 6 months money  is better than 0 months. Equally this time next year if we have 15 points from 20 games we wont be going upwards and the contact will say that. I'm pretty sure PB will have been on the same, and reached a critical point a few games back and set wheels in motion. The appointment didn't happen in 24 hours, this was well in advance when a target wasn't met.
ah right, of its broken down/targeted like that then I guess it makes sense.

to be honest I had no idea this could be a thing, sounds a bit harsh but it protects the club.

(not got a problem with it by the way)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 19:56:52 »

7 points off the POs in November shouldn’t prevent any club from targeting promotion
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 19:58:31 »

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey
7 points off the POs in November shouldn’t prevent any club from targeting promotion

no of course not. it was mention of it being in the contract that surprised me.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:02:49 »

His contract is 2 years. I presume the promotion clause means within those 2 years - or at the end of.

There’s absolutely no reason why any club can’t make that up with 29 games to go.

Personally, my initial reaction has thawed somewhat and I shall be there Saturday.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:03:23 »

3rd relegation to the basement in 12 years, indicates that we've slipped from our previous natural position. Our larger gates don't seem to give us much of a financial advantage over the rest.

As I've said before if you're Sunderland and get 30,000 in Div 3, as opposed to the sides who get 3000, then it's probably fair to say you're too big for the league.

if your using 12 years as a random marker then our average league position is surely still league 1 and not league 2?

we are not playing like a big club which I have said but there is no denying it in league 2 terms we are whether you like it or not.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:05:35 »

no of course not. it was mention of it being in the contract that surprised me.

I would love such clauses to be in every players contracts. these little niggles etc would soon stop happening and players would be desperate to play and play well.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:13:07 »

if your using 12 years as a random marker then our average league position is surely still league 1 and not league 2?

we are not playing like a big club which I have said but there is no denying it in league 2 terms we are whether you like it or not.
Absolutely. We've also had two L1 play off finals in the last 12 years & a L1 play off semi final. We could all comfortably name 24 current league clubs that we could perceive ourselves to be bigger than regardless of criteria used. Reg just enjoys running the club down at any given opportunity & makes it a priority to not make any positive comments. A very strange approach from a very strange gentleman.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:17:39 »

Two League 1 play off finals in 8 years have been conveniently forgotten. Wellens is spot on, we are a League 1 club in size. He correctly caveats that by saying we are in Legaue 2 because we deserve to be. So I see no issue with those comments.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:19:50 »

am I reading too much into this:

"The remit in my contract is to get the club promoted.”

actually what does that even mean, he's contacted to to get us promotion? I doubt it!

It’s nothing more than an empty-but-grand statement about how he wants to win Promotion. Nothing more to it than that, no?

Things get better but they never get good
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:21:22 »

Ooh, Chang is changing persona again.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:23:49 »

just thought it was odd Dave, nothing more
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:26:20 »

Reg sort of has a point. what area the units in 'too big'?

fanbase and history, unarguably so.

budget, probably not.

potential to grow, I guess so. though probably not any time soon.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 20:28:44 »

yippee, maybe Wellens will work out after all.

Newport are 2-0 up.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: