Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120518 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 12:56:25 »

I would certainly like to hear from our esteemed chairman on why he decided to dispense with Brown now, and explain the reasoning behind the appointment of Wellens and how why appoint so quick rather than waiting to see who applies and then appointing Wellens anyway.

I sure the usual silence will continue though or he wil lsend his his aussie mate to talk to the press.

I will give Wellens my support, but I'm not overjoyed about his appointment
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 13:10:32 »

I would certainly like to hear from our esteemed chairman on why he decided to dispense with Brown now, and explain the reasoning behind the appointment of Wellens and how why appoint so quick rather than waiting to see who applies and then appointing Wellens anyway.

I sure the usual silence will continue though or he wil lsend his his aussie mate to talk to the press.

My thoughts entirely
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 13:13:05 »

+2
Flashheart

« Reply #393 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 13:21:18 »

Bellends

He's barely started, you perineum.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 13:24:23 »

I had to Google perineum. who knew that bit had a name
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #395 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 13:25:25 »

The timing appeared to be as if the decision was premeditated prior to the poor quality win vs York, this seems to be backed up by the speed of replacement.

I wonder if Power spoke to PB and asked would he stay if Hull did come knocking, and PB said of course he would take the Hull job. Power then starts making enquiries about a possible replacement in case PB left us in the lurch as Flipflop did.

And then we under performed for a few games and Power took it upon himself to speed things up.

I am just guessing of course but that thought had passed my mind, the Hull fans still think very highly of Brown and want him back there.

the full thread about him here.

https://www.not606.com/threads/brownies-done-one.368849/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
diggers

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 13:32:03 »

The appointment is underwhelming to say the least, but it is reflective of our current status in the football pyramid. I'm not sure what people expected, me included. I suppose getting rid of Brown, made us think someone a lot better was coming in - debatable whether Wellens is that - he doesn't have the pedigree of Brown, but he is still young and hopefully hungry to succeed. Brown talked a good game but it just didn't work out for whatever reason.

I don't know much about Wellens to be honest, other than what I've read on this thread, so I'll support him like I supported the last manager and hope he does us proud. He's got some issues until the January window though, is it really going to be that easy to turn the current squad around? Could do with a fully fit Doughty back asap - he has been a big miss.

I'd have liked to have seen someone with STFC connections come in and try and bring the support base back together behind the club, but there aren't many candidates to be honest and even those suggested are met with no it's not right for him to come back.

Power will always divide opinion - to me he is just that kind of person. We'd all like to see a lifelong billionaire fan take over, but I don't know any - do you?!
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 13:38:06 »

I've never been so disappointed with a managers appointment in my life, he may turn out OK but my gut tells me he's going to be about the same as PB. What a sad place my club has become, gates of sub 4000 and falling, that's why there's no money and it will continue to be so. Can't get over what a shit start to the week this is, by the time Bellends has worked out what the squads like we're going to be down in the brown stuff. Can't dress this up any better, our leader just keeps getting the management appointment wrong. Or perhaps that's the design. The sun may be shinning outside but its not in my STFC heart and there's only so many times someone can piss down my back,tell me its raining and I believe them.

“Bellends”
“Or perhaps that’s the design”

This is a post that just keeps giving
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 13:50:25 »

I've never been so disappointed with a managers appointment in my life, he may turn out OK but my gut tells me he's going to be about the same as PB. What a sad place my club has become, gates of sub 4000 and falling, that's why there's no money and it will continue to be so. Can't get over what a shit start to the week this is, by the time Bellends has worked out what the squads like we're going to be down in the brown stuff. Can't dress this up any better, our leader just keeps getting the management appointment wrong. Or perhaps that's the design. The sun may be shinning outside but its not in my STFC heart and there's only so many times someone can piss down my back,tell me its raining and I believe them.

'Can't dress this up any better, our leader just keeps getting the management appointment wrong'

Can I borrow your time machine?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Combe Up

« Reply #399 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 13:52:13 »

Unashamedly copied from another thread: The picture used in the OS announcement looks like someone is pissing on the Swindon name and the club flag. Just who is doing the pissing?

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2018/november/wellens-joins-as-new-manager/
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 13:54:10 »

LP obviously, he has nothing but disrespect the club since he brought it
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 14:06:33 »

I know this sounds hackneyed and a bit dewy eyed, but supporting STFC over a lot of years it always felt I was supporting a club that was a bit special, a bit different than the other lower league opponents.

Win a League Cup, could, and should, have made 2 more Finals, reach the dizzy heights of the PL, 100% winning record at the old Wembley, even the 100% losing record at the new - we’ve still been there.

The realisation has now sunk in that we have become the same as those lower league clubs that have spent almost all their existence just treading water - just existing. Yes, important to their fans but that’s about it.

Its difficult to envisage the new fella revitalising the club - he’s no Macari, Ardiles or Hoddle who the fans can rally round.

Luton weren’t too happy appointing Nathan Jones, Lincoln likewise with Cowley. ‘Who the fuck are they?’ Was the general reaction.

So, until proven otherwise, Wellens will get my full support and if anyone decides to lumber him with the Bellends moniker he/she should be banned.

I am the original Bellend!
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 14:13:15 »

I'm more surprised by those questioning the sacking of Brown than those attacking the appointment of Wellens. I don't know how anyone who has watched a game under Brown can think that he should be given money to spend in January, and more time. It just wasn't working out. His selections were mystifying, his tactics confusing. It was on a par with Hart, the worst ever. Which, if anyone had done their due diligence on Brown's time at Southend, wouldn't have been a surprise.

Wellens is a massive risk, we all know this, but I'm prepared to give him a go. In many ways I like the  fact that we've moved quickly to try and change the situation, but another part of me would like to have seen who applied. He's young, seen as progressive, it can't be any worse than Brown.

My biggest concern these days appears to be a lack of plan. At least under Cooper and Williams there was a plan of sorts, a style and a tangible plan of working.

We probably can't afford it, but it would have been good to appoint someone who immediately got everyone excited again. A Paul Hurst, a Calderwood or a recently retired 'star' in the mould of Wise/Hoddle/PDC. Hey ho.

I wish Wellens well. I just want to enjoy going to football again. It's been a while. A long while!
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 14:19:11 »

Life as an optimist is not always very easy especially if affection comes in the nature of supporting STFC but who the fuck is Wellens…?? Can`t prejudge the man who has rarely managed...perhaps he will be a real find...in some ways he can`t be worse than Phil Brown who just didn`t get this team going and I believe their is enough talent in the squad to get us into the play offs but not with him. He arrived and we dropped out of the play offs so let`s see what the mysterious Wellens is made of...

Bathtime
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 14:28:41 »

I'm more surprised by those questioning the sacking of Brown than those attacking the appointment of Wellens. I don't know how anyone who has watched a game under Brown can think that he should be given money to spend in January, and more time.
I think I'd have given him another month, but it's hard to argue against your points. I did say spend the severence pay on players.. was a bit miffed at that time.

You say under cooper and Williams we had a plan. There is the possibility we are returning to that kind of plan.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: