Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120618 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #345 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:32:01 »

It's a great gig for RW. I, like many, think this squad is better than 17th in L2. There's also a decent fanbase (despite the loud minority, but most of those are boycotting for one reason or another) desperate for some attacking football and one that should respond positively to a couple of wins and a bit of attacking threat.

Play high tempo, pressing football. Empower the young attacking players and believe in them, and let's see what happens between now and January.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:32:12 »

genuine answer, don't know. how can I answer that without knowing budget, managerial salary expectations and interested parties.

I'd persist with Brown if Richie Wellens is the best we can attract. I think power had it right in type of manager, just didn't work out. I assume we can't afford a safe pair of hands, which haas left us to a massive risk.

In fact its the risk that is the main issue. Oddly I'd be more at ease with this if we were in L1 with the L2 safety net.

Its akin to a tightrope walker doing another high rope with no safety net. Last time he fell off he says because the rope was wobbled by someone. This time its well secure so it'll be great. He may be right, but ...
---
this shouldn't be confused with not hoping he does well. of course I do.

TBF to Power, Brown was pretty much on the knife edge... possibly he could have got a couple more games to try and show he was capable of turning the historically bad home form in Div 4, but little real evidence to show it was likely.

There is a possibilty we may get a bounce, but it doesn't always happen, as Michael Duff has shown at Numb, after they sacked their old head.   Saturday now becomes an even more horrible game... poor old Richie is going to get very little time to prepare.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:38:04 »

When his name first came up I was mightily pissed off - not through the guy himself but the seemingly shit level we have sunk to to only be able to attract this type of manager.

Then I looked a bit deeper into his season at Oldham and it seems no-one would have saved them  from relegation.

He might be a disaster - as any appointment could - but, give the fans 3 points on Saturday and a rare home win, and he'll get most on board.
Flashheart

« Reply #348 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:40:35 »

It could be that he overachieved at Oldham, they really were a box of frogs of a club at the time. Context is everything.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:41:14 »

but, give the fans 3 points on Saturday and a rare home win, and he'll get most on board.

He shouldn't be under that pressure. Its unrealistic to expect him to magic us into a good team overnight.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:42:31 »

I bet your missus dreads serving up your dinner every night Batch, you must give her a right earful.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:43:51 »

It could be that he overachieved at Oldham, they really were a box of frogs of a club at the time. Context is everything.

It could be. as supported by some Oldham fans comments.

Or it could be the fans that said he became an abrasive character that played odd formations with players out of position were right.

Point is, nobody knows. I genuinely hope you are right.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:44:55 »

He shouldn't be under that pressure. Its unrealistic to expect him to magic us into a good team overnight.
Do we actually have to be good to beat Carlisle.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:45:02 »

I bet your missus dreads serving up your dinner every night Batch, you must give her a right earful.

I make no apologies for at this time thinking Richie Wellens is a crap replacement for Brown.
Don't like it. Tough shit.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:48:53 »

Play high tempo, pressing football. Empower the young attacking players and believe in them, and let's see what happens between now and January.

This, but give him past January to judge.

Hopefully the first thing he realises is that Richards isn't a target man striker
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:48:59 »

I assume we can't afford a safe pair of hands, which haas left us to a massive risk.

But again this just doesn't stack up, Brown (a potentially safe pair of very tanned hands) will not have come cheap, he has the pedigree to ask a decent whack, then you have the costs of paying him and McDonald off, I cannot see any evidence that sacking him and appointing Wellans is a cheap or cost saving option.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:50:21 »

Everyone has their own opinions but he's there and we've gotta get on with it regardless of how people feel.

Got my tickets for the next few games now I'm back living in Wiltshire, let's see what he can do.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:50:47 »

But again this just doesn't stack up, Brown (a potentially safe pair of very tanned hands) will not have come cheap, he has the pedigree to ask a decent whack, then you have the costs of paying him and McDonald off, I cannot see any evidence that sacking him and appointing Wellans is a cheap or cost saving option.

Fair comment.  I just asummed the budget isn't there for 2 x established manager salary. We don't know what Brown's contract looked like and don't know if he got much of a pay off I suppose.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:51:36 »

I'm dead against this appointment as it stands. madness.

But you have to cut the guy some slack and give him the season to see what he's about.

It's going to be very difficult to significantly lift us before January with the squad we have.

I don't think we'll go down, so playing players in position, dropping non performers and injecting some pace and purpose to our attack is what I'll judge him on.

a last concern is that this is Power saying 'I've tried it with proper established managers, but it's not worked so it's back to the Swindon way (the Williams model)'. time will tell

I'm a little surprised at this Batch and whilst I do agree it is a risky appointment getting any new manager in at this stage, but isn't it a risk not getting rid of Brown?

Lets face it, the performances under Brown are well below par, the football is dull, player selection and substitutions odd and the malaise at the CG was beginning to spread, which can't be healthy for anyone, least of all the players. On Saturday there were 2 occasions which summed up Brown's team. Conroy ambled forward, looked up for options, of which there were none and hit a shot from 30 yards, hitting the Townend roof. 5 minutes later, Wolf ambled forward, looked up.............same outcome cuing boos from the paying customers. Luckily York were poor and we managed to nick a win, papering over the cracks.

I think Power had to act to try and save the season. A new face a new start, a bit of an injection of excitement in the place.

I'm behind Wellens, realistically the list of managers we could bring in can't be long and given the quickness of the appointment was surely in the pipeline for a while now. Power has acted. Hopefully its a shot in the arm the club needs at the moment.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Panda Paws

« Reply #359 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:51:52 »

This, but give him past January to judge.

Hopefully the first thing he realises is that Richards isn't a target man striker

Absolutely - just obviously in January there can be some player movement.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: